Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Coaching changes mid season and winning the cup chances are actually very high someone awhile back figured it out. But teams this year are taking it to an extreme. Still not a fan of cooper and would want Gallant.

recently mid season coaching changes that won a cup the blues last year and the penguins in 2016. It’s better odds then sticking with a guy that has not done it in 7 plus years here.

Reactions: PJ817

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
It’s better odds then sticking with a guy that has not done it in 7 plus years here.
copy-paste from another thread:

There is no any correlation between the amount of playoff failures and chances to win the cup. There were coaches who won SC pretty much from the 1st-2nd try. They were coaches who won SC after more than 10 years of failures.

Just as example here are the 4 coaches who won 5 last cups:
1) Q - won his 1st Cup after 10 years of failures in playoff
2) Sullivan - won his 1st Cup on the 2nd attempt
3) Trotz - won his 1st Cup after 10 years of failures in playoff
4) Berube - won his 1st Cup on the 2nd attempt

If we continue this trend then this year winning coach is going to be a coach who wins the cup after ~10 years of failures. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
You can't use what happened with other coaches/teams and apply it to the Lightning. Every team is an independent ecosystem with a million variables affecting success.

All you can do is look at your own team and see if things are meshing and if there's room for improvement. Personally, I think Gallant would improve this team.

Reactions: Zwui21 and Todd1a

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

THG mentions the possibility of Gallant to Seattle, but I don't think he'd want to do that. The pressure would be unreasonable.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What pressure...?
Fans would have unreasonable expectations based on having the Vegas coach who got the previous expansion team to the Stanley Cup Final in their first season. He's setting himself up to disappoint.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
copy-paste from another thread:

There is no any correlation between the amount of playoff failures and chances to win the cup. There were coaches who won SC pretty much from the 1st-2nd try. They were coaches who won SC after more than 10 years of failures.

Just as example here are the 4 coaches who won 5 last cups:
1) Q - won his 1st Cup after 10 years of failures in playoff
2) Sullivan - won his 1st Cup on the 2nd attempt
3) Trotz - won his 1st Cup after 10 years of failures in playoff
4) Berube - won his 1st Cup on the 2nd attempt

If we continue this trend then this year winning coach is going to be a coach who wins the cup after ~10 years of failures. :popcorn:

ya but they all went to other teams after those failures for a fresh start is my point!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
10 days off after tonight just go ahead and make the coaching change to gallant after tonight’s loss ! We already know cooper chokes in the playoffs

Discipline

Oct 14, 2019
North Carolina
Did Gallant have tension with management? That's the only explanation I can think of for why Vegas fired him.

But I'd gladly welcome Gallant. Line me up at the executive airport to shake his hand.

Reactions: ultra63

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Why should he be getting praise for getting this team to perform how they were supposed to in the first place? Is a roster Tampa being 2nd in the league supposed to be some sort of coaching feat? :laugh:

We all know it’s all about the playoffs and how cooper performs there that’s been the problem not the regular season! Well find out if they are truly ready for playoff hockey in April!

Reactions: PJ817

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why should he be getting praise for getting this team to perform how they were supposed to in the first place? Is a roster Tampa being 2nd in the league supposed to be some sort of coaching feat? :laugh:

And I'm guessing this will be your reaction if we win the Cup this year as if we were supposed to all the other times despite being injured numerous times?

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
recently mid season coaching changes that won a cup the blues last year and the penguins in 2016. It’s better odds then sticking with a guy that has not done it in 7 plus years here.

At this stage of the season, I am willing to give this a try.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I wanted him gone. This team is good, even better than last year IMO, particularly at even strength. It was self-mockery.

Try it sometimes.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And I'm guessing this will be your reaction if we win the Cup this year as if we were supposed to all the other times despite being injured numerous times?

Ah yes Tampa is the only contender ever injured, get real. If Cooper can pull off a win that'd be great, he's 0-6 so.....

Reactions: The Macho Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->