Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
WTF why do teams ditch Gallant so fast? It's like they wait for the exact moment his team slips out of a playoff spot then fire him. Ridiculous.

Hopefully he doesn't hop right back in. Would like the option as a Cooper replacement.
The guy is not gonna go unemployed for long.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Probably 3 weeks ago someone probably told cooper I heard gallant might be getting fired! Cooper- oh no well it’s time for a 10 game winning streak now then! Time to play our regular season system that got 62 wins! Every freaking time gallant gets fired all the sudden cooper is off the hot seat!

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
By the way, Vegas GM Kelly McCrimmon acted because of his emotions.
I'm so glad our GM is not a soft bitch like McCrimmon but he rather thinks through his moves

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Even with how hot we've been (against mostly crap teams), I'd still take Gallant over Cooper in a heartbeat.

Realistically I think he goes to the Red Wings, which will SUCK.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Borrowed these from the AHatNHL thread

Gallant's gonna end up in Detroit.

Or here.

But probably Detroit. Yzerman turns to former teammates a lot (Verbeek, Thomas, Roest).

I hope Gallant is available in the summer if we choke in the playoffs again. I'd take him here in a heartbeat.

I wanted to post this a few weeks back but kind of held off till now. If there was ever going to be a coaching change involving Jon Cooper, my top 3 replacements were still employed (at the time) but who I thought would be the best fit here. Lavi, Gallant, and Torts. You never want to say never, as in Vegas would never get rid of Gallant in the timeframe that Cooper would need to be replaced here.

However, fastforward to today and this was enough of a headsmack move to make me reconsider. As in, what is it about Gerard Gallant that the man gets kicked to the curb with so much gunk and "WTF" circumstances? Is there some unknown stigma or bridge-burning with this guy that he gets the termination treatment he's received? I mean, the man was interviewed as he was climbing into a cab in Carolina when the Turds terminated him right after that game. At that time, that firing was considered a pretty shitty and classless move by the Turds organization and everyone was happy to see him land on his feet in Vegas.

Then, with a 5-game win stretch within reach to propel them back to first in the Pacific, and with him being a ASG coach, the axe falls now? I've heard he's headstrong, and pretty stubborn, but up till now he was one of my favorites to replace Cooper. Now I gotta think there's something more to this guy that would give this organization a unanimous hard pass.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I wanted to post this a few weeks back but kind of held off till now. If there was ever going to be a coaching change involving Jon Cooper, my top 3 replacements were still employed (at the time) but who I thought would be the best fit here. Lavi, Gallant, and Torts. You never want to say never, as in Vegas would never get rid of Gallant in the timeframe that Cooper would need to be replaced here.

However, fastforward to today and this was enough of a headsmack move to make me reconsider. As in, what is it about Gerard Gallant that the man gets kicked to the curb with so much gunk and "WTF" circumstances? Is there some unknown stigma or bridge-burning with this guy that he gets the termination treatment he's received? I mean, the man was interviewed as he was climbing into a cab in Carolina when the Turds terminated him right after that game. At that time, that firing was considered a pretty ****ty and classless move by the Turds organization and everyone was happy to see him land on his feet in Vegas.

Then, with a 5-game win stretch within reach to propel them back to first in the Pacific, and with him being a ASG coach, the axe falls now? I've heard he's headstrong, and pretty stubborn, but up till now he was one of my favorites to replace Cooper. Now I gotta think there's something more to this guy that would give this organization a unanimous hard pass.

Timing is bizarre for sure. Also think it cant be a good look for an organization who went to the Cup Finals their first year. Im also wondering if something hasnt come out yet.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

However, fastforward to today and this was enough of a headsmack move to make me reconsider. As in, what is it about Gerard Gallant that the man gets kicked to the curb with so much gunk and "WTF" circumstances? Is there some unknown stigma or bridge-burning with this guy that he gets the termination treatment he's received? I mean, the man was interviewed as he was climbing into a cab in Carolina when the Turds terminated him right after that game. At that time, that firing was considered a pretty ****ty and classless move by the Turds organization and everyone was happy to see him land on his feet in Vegas.

Or look at the management that has let him go, and let's look at what follows.

Florida goes from their first playoffs in the century practically to mediocre/bad for another three and a half years. GMGM is known for knee-jerk moves, awful moves, and as incredibly reactive. He's the author of one of the worst trades of the century and made many perplexing to bad moves in his time as a GM (I don't buy that this was the new guys call - he may have been on board, but this came from above his head).

I believe that Gallant may have an issue with "managing up". I could see him bumping heads with management. You know who needs to learn how to deal with that? f***ing management. Only coach I take cold over Gallant if available would be Sullivan.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
You never know, some coaches hold out until the summer if they know they'll be sought after. Gallant could take the rest of the season off, still get paid and then have his pick of the litter in June.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wasn't his firing in Florida also kind of weird? I know new management had just come in, but Gallant seemed to be making progress at the time he got fired.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Wasn't his firing in Florida also kind of weird? I know new management had just come in, but Gallant seemed to be making progress at the time he got fired.

He's known to butt heads with his management group which is a bit of a red flag. Florida wouldn't let him on the team bus after a road trip and made him call his own taxi to the airport after they fired him. They tossed away the next 2 years because they wanted him out that bad and Vegas is cutting him loose on an awfully short leash. Those GM's might have just been extremely egotistical you though, Gallant is known to have the support of his players.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's known to butt heads with his management group which is a bit of a red flag. Florida wouldn't let him on the team bus after a road trip and made him call his own taxi to the airport after they fired him. They tossed away the next 2 years because they wanted him out that bad and Vegas is cutting him loose on an awfully short leash. Those GM's might have just been extremely egotistical you though, Gallant is known to have the support of his players.

He coached here in NB and won a Memorial Cup. And it's hard to question his NHL results, particularly in Vegas. GM gets a lot of the credit for that, but it HAS to take a good coach to take a team of guys who've never played together to the SCF.

Definitely odd though.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
steve Fning yzerman wins lotto looks like

cooper is fine hes learning finally imho we gonna win the cup but red wings gonna get good fast cause they getting a new great coach lol

nope we are not winning a cup ever under cooper! I don’t even think cooper gets past the first round this year again. So this fire cooper will be back again after the season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
nope we are not winning a cup ever under cooper! I don’t even think cooper gets past the first round this year again. So this fire cooper will be back again after the season.

It is so easy to say Cooper wont win the Cup this year. Even with our "high chances" last year the chance of them winning were still really low. Even with a new HC the chances wont change that much. I really wonder what the percentage that improves/decreases with a coaching change. Probably not that much. I think its going to depend on our players and who we have more than who is behind the bench. We just make the coaching change because its the easier change to make. I feel like people think if we just got rid of Cooper the team would suddenly win a cup. I dont buy that but I get why we would change if we dont win this year or go far. Coaching voices can get old. I just dont buy that it would really catapult our chances that much. Maybe a little more and possibly less. We dont really know for sure.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Coaching changes mid season and winning the cup chances are actually very high someone awhile back figured it out. But teams this year are taking it to an extreme. Still not a fan of cooper and would want Gallant.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It is so easy to say Cooper wont win the Cup this year. Even with our "high chances" last year the chance of them winning were still really low. Even with a new HC the chances wont change that much. I really wonder what the percentage that improves/decreases with a coaching change. Probably not that much. I think its going to depend on our players and who we have more than who is behind the bench. We just make the coaching change because its the easier change to make. I feel like people think if we just got rid of Cooper the team would suddenly win a cup. I dont buy that but I get why we would change if we dont win this year or go far. Coaching voices can get old. I just dont buy that it would really catapult our chances that much. Maybe a little more and possibly less. We dont really know for sure.

blues made a change won the cup! Years back the penguins made the change won a cup. Trotz won his cup with the caps in his 3rd year I believe? Maybe his 4th ? Name me a coach that coached a nhl team for 7 full seasons and then all the sudden finally got over the hump and won a championship in his 8th ,9th or 10th year ? I find it shocking that cooper has been here almost a decade coaches usually don’t last that long unless they have won a championship or championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->