Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Hi guys ,
We got a nice break last night . The Lighting have so much talent . We just have Barzal and our muckers . Did Cooper say what I read in his post game presser about the stars aligning for us to get that goal ? You see people put up different posts but who knows what is true . Thanks and good luck tomorrow .

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I am. We've seen this team play poorly in so many big games under Cooper. NYI could have very easily scored on their break away (after TJ had yet another turnover) early in the OT period and we'd be talking about possibly blowing a 3-1 series lead.

We really should have at least one SC win with this core, probably two, and so far we have zero. Many, many coaches have been fired for this.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well at least this series proves we have a crap load of chokers and over thinkers on our team save for Hedman. The guy who scored the OT winner has been pulling big goals like that since juniors

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I am. We've seen this team play poorly in so many big games under Cooper. NYI could have very easily scored on their break away (after TJ had yet another turnover) early in the OT period and we'd be talking about possibly blowing a 3-1 series lead.

We really should have at least one SC win with this core, probably two, and so far we have zero. Many, many coaches have been fired for this.

I do blame some of our past failures on Cooper, but he had the team playing like a machine this year. What we've won on so far, more than anything else, is poise. We're not breaking down when the game is tied late, or when we're down a goal. At least not much.

The thing with Cooper is, even while he had, or seemed to have, some major flaws, the team was still having so much success that he couldn't really be fired. We've now made 4 of the last 6 ECFs. While you can say, "He couldn't close the deal," it's also true that no other coach has gotten that deep, that often, in that same timeframe.

I think what it comes down to is both Cooper and the team have matured. We used to be the hotshot kids who got spanked by the vets. Now we're the vets.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Time to lock this thread!

EjDZFX4XcAQ9XiJ

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Long time no see everyone. We. f***ing. Did. It.

Jon Cooper deserved a lot of the blame for our failures in the past, but credit where it's due, he deserves a lot of praise for his performance this year. He learned some hard lessons along with the team and it was obvious he was changed this postseason not only in his X's and O's ability to make smart adjustments in-game, but his general demeanor on the bench. This was not the Jon Cooper of years past and he deserves credit for taking his lumps, learning his lessons, and becoming the coach he needed to be to beat guys like Torts and Trotz in a playoff series.

f***ing cheers guys and gals. We did it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well he's officially Lightning coach GOAT. This win probably buys him an indefinite tenure -like even through a full rebuild unless Vinik hits the reset button entirely and dismisses JFBB too.

We just need to not turn into Pens fans losing our shit at not winning every year as if 3 Cups and another berth was a waste of Crosby and Malkin. Stamkos and Hedman are at like years 12 and 11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad