2019-20 Carabao Cup

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Harvey Elliott was super impressive for a 16 year old. I’m really looking forward to seeing how he progresses. Read Curtis Jones got MotM but I only saw the first half; based on that it was justified. Hope we can go deep in all competitions to give these guys a chance to play more at the top level. Was pretty disappointed by Ox and Brewster.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ox was great in the second half. Had a strike from miles away go off the post after the goalkeeper got a touch.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Harvey Elliott was super impressive for a 16 year old. I’m really looking forward to seeing how he progresses. Read Curtis Jones got MotM but I only saw the first half; based on that it was justified. Hope we can go deep in all competitions to give these guys a chance to play more at the top level. Was pretty disappointed by Ox and Brewster.
I didn’t watch but I heard Brewster was lousy. If he isn’t up to standard Liverpool NEED to get a forward in January at all costs.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I didn’t watch but I heard Brewster was lousy. If he isn’t up to standard Liverpool NEED to get a forward in January at all costs.
I think it's a bit early to judge Brewster. He is still coming back from a pretty bad injury. Still, Jones and Elliott were very promising...Elliott especially impressed me just with his general play not just on the ball. He was economical, he didn't try to do too much, he made smart passes and movement off the ball. You can tell he reads the game really well for his age. Composure will come, but he could have had a goal or two in the first half alone, and an assist.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think it's a bit early to judge Brewster. He is still coming back from a pretty bad injury. Still, Jones and Elliott were very promising...Elliott especially impressed me just with his general play not just on the ball. He was economical, he didn't try to do too much, he made smart passes and movement off the ball. You can tell he reads the game really well for his age. Composure will come, but he could have had a goal or two in the first half alone, and an assist.
I’m not saying Brewster is a bust. I’m saying they were counting on him having a certain output, and if he can’t they need a solution

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
My god now we have guy who didn't even watch the game being an expert. If you didn't watch it you have literally no idea what happened.

Here's what happened. Brewster is used to playing traditional #9. There is an adjustment period to playing how Klopp would want and he hasn't played in a real game before. He was playing with two players beside him who were even younger than him, both of whom would never play in the top flight right now. As the game went on he played much better. You can't just go and buy some striker because hardly anyone can play striker in these tactics, and for this matter Firmino didn't hit this level for a while either. It took Origi two seasons. Developing the player is the only answer.

I disagree

If they get a hard on by having Auba play against 16 and 17 year olds, who cares. Some of you are so worried about what other teams do that it's absolutely hilarious. This is f***ing Liverpool and they haven't beaten our first team, not only haven't done it but probably couldn't.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Why would you assume Auba would be playing?

In theory. If some players like that score against 17 year olds, it's irrelevant. If your youth players do, it's also irrelevant in the grand scheme of things because ours won't play games that matter. The same goes in reverse if we were to beat Arsenal, I don't find any meaning in it. This competition is rather pointless until the final stages.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Emery better use the game to play Martinelli, Saka, ESR, Saliba, etc.

I can see him going for it though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Brewster didn't play well and that's fine; he's been training under Klopp and co. long enough to know what's expected of him in that position, and furthermore Klopp doesn't expect every striker he has to play like Firmino either. Sometimes a bad game is just a bad game, and Brewster is young and hasn't had a lot of experience against men's teams (regardless of their quality). He's not been lighting it up at the PL2 level either, but we know he's coming back from a serious injury and that he has a lot of potential. I wasn't talking about long term with him either when I said it's too early to write him off -- give him a few games and some time to get up to speed. It's never easy being the guy that has to deputize for any of Firmino/Salah/Mane regardless of age.

Also I think every game is important, especially against other 'big' teams. I hope that Liverpool come ready to play and bring a strong line-up.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Good to see Hoever, van de Berg and especially Ian Maatsen getting minutes. I think the latter has the potential to be a starter for Chelsea in the near future. I've never been impressed with Alonso much.

Reactions: Cassano

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Klopp will not play a first team squad, and neither will Emery hopefully, so it is alright. Arsenals kids are so much better than Liverpools and it isn’t really close.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Klopp will not play a first team squad, and neither will Emery hopefully, so it is alright. Arsenals kids are so much better than Liverpools and it isn’t really close.

Congratulations for winning the non-existent and unimportant "better youth than Liverpool trophy". This can go in the trophy cabinet next to countless "4th place trophies", "Europa League losers trophy", and a "only lost to Liverpool by two goals this year" medal.

Arsenal's youth players fielded compared to ours were older on average. I sure as hell would hope they're better. Liverpool used a 16 year old and two 17 year olds. Almost all the players we used won't break into the first team because the players we have are too good. This is not the worst problem to have, it's a lot better than playing them because we have no choice.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Congratulations for winning the non-existent and unimportant "better youth than Liverpool trophy". This can go in the trophy cabinet next to countless "4th place trophies", "Europa League losers trophy", and a "only lost to Liverpool by two goals this year" medal.

Arsenal's youth players fielded compared to ours were older on average. I sure as hell would hope they're better. Liverpool used a 16 year old and two 17 year olds. Almost all the players we used won't break into the first team because the players we have are too good. This is not the worst problem to have, it's a lot better than playing them because we have no choice.

Never talk about trophies with an Arsenal fan when you support Liverpool, don’t mock Arsenal until you win a Premier League. Maybe it can go next to the golden invincible trophy?

Arsenal also played more youth players, and they did so much better. Liverpool doesn’t have any prospect who looks like they have the potential of Martinelli, Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Willock or Saka, and you could throw in the likes of Guendouzi, Balogun, Saliba and Nketiah there too, although the last two obviously will not be playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Never talk about trophies with an Arsenal fan when you support Liverpool, don’t mock Arsenal until you win a Premier League.

Arsenal also played more youth players, and they did so much better. Liverpool doesn’t have any prospect who looks like they have the potential of Martinelli, Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Willock or Saka, and you could throw in the likes of Guendouzi, Balogun and Nketiah there too.

Trent Alexander-Arnold is better than all those prospects, actually better than all of them by far. And the same age as quite a few of them.

I'm gonna throw it in here that nobody except you cares about Arsenal's youth players vis-a-vis Liverpool. If you care about that more and you think a fan of the team that wins the CL really gives a shit about that, cool. Personally I couldn't care less if Arsenal's youth team beat Liverpool's youth team by five or six goals. Pretty sure that wouldn't happen, but I don't care. It doesn't matter.

Maybe when these teams play each other, Arsenal can put a "finally beat Liverpool trophy" in the cabinet.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Trent Alexander-Arnold is better than all those prospects, actually better than all of them by far. And the same age as quite a few of them.

I'm gonna throw it in here that nobody except you cares about Arsenal's youth players vis-a-vis Liverpool. If you care about that more and you think a fan of the team that wins the CL really gives a **** about that, cool. Personally I couldn't care less if Arsenal's youth team beat Liverpool's youth team by five or six goals. It doesn't matter.

I do not care about out youth in comparison to yours at all, although I do want to win the game, which was why I brought it up. And is Alexander-Arnold better than our young fullback in Tierney? Possibly not.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I do not care about out youth in comparison to yours at all, although I do want to win the game, which was why I brought it up. And is Alexander-Arnold better than our young fullback in Tierney? Possibly not.

No, he definitely is. Tierney is older too and I do like him a lot. Wanted him before Robertson but it's not like anyone really knew Robertson was that good.

It's pretty stupid that teams don't buy players like Tierney and van Dijk for a long time because they play in Scotland even though it's obvious that they're really good. Morelos might go into this category soon as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad