2019-20 Around the League: Congratulations, Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2006
The bigger shock to me is that Staal didn’t have Buffalo in his no-trade list. No one ever wants to play there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The bigger shock to me is that Staal didn’t have Buffalo in his no-trade list. No one ever wants to play there.
Only 10 teams on his list. Even as a Canadian kid is he likely not put most of the Canadian teams on his list? Can think he didn’t want to go to NJ, maybe Detroit, places like that. Who knows.

to give people some perspective he is a 2003 draftee, so he is 35 going on 36 soon.

That great draft class is nearing the end of the line. Only so many players can play well into their mid 30’s

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If I'm not mistaken, a big factor in why Staal chose Minnesota in the first place was proximity to Thunder Bay.

Probably why he was fine going to Buffalo.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Only 10 teams on his list. Even as a Canadian kid is he likely not put most of the Canadian teams on his list? Can think he didn’t want to go to NJ, maybe Detroit, places like that. Who knows.

to give people some perspective he is a 2003 draftee, so he is 35 going on 36 soon.

That great draft class is nearing the end of the line. Only so many players can play well into their mid 30’s

It required some "skill" to miss in the first round that year. And the Canucks weren't one of those that "missed"!:laugh:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
When you get past the RFA stage, the only thing that should matter is the value you expect for the duration of the contract. I could not care less if I was trading for a player 8 years younger if they were way worse.

Obviously, if you're trading for a young guy who will expire as an RFA, then the gamble of a worse player is understandable.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Kind of reminds me of the Kassian for Prust deal with the 5th rounder, I would have assumed that Staal had the higher salary which would be the reason for the trade for Minnesota.

A shame we couldn't have been in on this swapping Pearson for Staal making him our 3rd line center.
Staal makes 1m less in real salary and is an UFA next summer

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Interesting seeing the numbers in front of you:

(this is prior to players like Kesler, Eaves going on LTIR in Anaheim, for example though.)

Tampa bay is crunched. NYI might have some tough decisions as well.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Guerin noted that coach Dean Evason, the Capitals’ former longtime assistant coach, knows Johansson well from their days there and “believes he can be an impactful centerman. The thing that I like about him, and a lot like Nick Bjugstad, both players have the ability to play center and wing and to me that’s valuable."

You know who else has the ability to play center and wing? Brandon Sutter, Bill. Brandon. Sutter.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Guerin noted that coach Dean Evason, the Capitals’ former longtime assistant coach, knows Johansson well from their days there and “believes he can be an impactful centerman. The thing that I like about him, and a lot like Nick Bjugstad, both players have the ability to play center and wing and to me that’s valuable."

You know who else has the ability to play center and wing? Brandon Sutter, Bill. Brandon. Sutter.
Before his game fell off the cliff, he actually was a respectable traditional 3C for a season or two. Could play wing with a playmaking center given his shot. He was a complementary player *not* a foundational player. Now, he's complete garbage. Just more deadweight on the roster right now.

Last edited:

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
If Guerin likes coach-player connections, Jay Beagle also suited up across two seasons for the Capitals, while Evason was behind the Capitals bench.

Not likely to happen but an observation.

Reactions: lindgren

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
If Guerin likes coach-player connections, Jay Beagle also suited up across two seasons for the Capitals, while Evason was behind the Capitals bench.

Not likely to happen but an observation.
Deadweight on the roster.

Contract itself isn't Loui Erikkson **** but Beagle, Sutter, Ferland with the six million dollar stiff = predictable results against Vegas.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
That Staal/Johansson trade is another example of a trade for a player because he used to play for the coach in another organization gone wrong. At least they get an NHL player instead of ex Tigers and Winterhawks.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
evason's last season with the caps was 2012. he coached the admirals until 2018.

i mean maybe he badly wanted johansson 8 years later, but it's far more likely that he has a problem with staal from having been an assistant coach for the last two years, which needed to be addressed after he was appointed head coach this summer.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
A team that already don't have much production from their center position, trading their #1 center, for another guy that produce less and has a bigger cap hit. I'm so confused. Fiala and Kaprizov are going to have to do it all on their own looks like. I'm not even sure how they can address their center position as they have $12m in cap space but only 11 forwards and 6 defensemen under contract. Plus you want to presumably upgrade your goaltending?

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012

(this is prior to players like Kesler, Eaves going on LTIR in Anaheim, for example though.)

Wow COL has so much...not good news for the western teams.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
That Staal/Johansson trade is another example of a trade for a player because he used to play for the coach in another organization gone wrong.

Sens can sign SIX Loui Erikssons! Count them. SIX Loui Erikssons!

loui-meme.png

loui-meme.png

loui-meme.png

loui-meme.png

loui-meme.png

loui-meme.png

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Islanders shouldn't complain, refs have been looking the other way a lot for them in the last two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad