2019-20 Around the League: Congratulations, Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Why wouldn’t any team offer more for Staal? 1 year left at a reasonable deal and he’s a big body C that can score goals and produce.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
also no question that vegas' dominance of possession was in significant part an illusion. they dominated the canucks and dallas 5v5 but, despite good goaltending, they nearly lost to the canucks and they lost to dallas in 5.

I think very few teams get to a conference final without great goaltending. Khudobin has been great and given his career it might be considered surprising, but a 2.62 and .920 isn’t a shocking set of numbers for a team going to the final. Lehner a 1.99 and 0.917 (4 shutouts) was also great overall in the playoffs. Vasilevsky 1.88 and .930. Varlamov 2.17 and 0.918.

Essentially you need top notch goaltending. Khudobin certainly came to the forefront in 4 of the 5 games, no denying that. But 0.940 is way different than 0.985. One is a number that a goaltender on a streak can maintain for a bit when chances Against are kept at a sane level. 0.985 through 3 playoff games while facing 40+ chances will not likely be seen again in some time.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think very few teams get to a conference final without great goaltending. Khudobin has been great and given his career it might be considered surprising, but a 2.62 and .920 isn’t a shocking set of numbers for a team going to the final. Lehner a 1.99 and 0.917 (4 shutouts) was also great overall in the playoffs. Vasilevsky 1.88 and .930. Varlamov 2.17 and 0.918.

Essentially you need top notch goaltending. Khudobin certainly came to the forefront in 4 of the 5 games, no denying that. But 0.940 is way different than 0.985. One is a number that a goaltender on a streak can maintain for a bit when chances Against are kept at a sane level. 0.985 through 3 playoff games while facing 40+ chances will not likely be seen again in some time.
Turco was credited with three shutouts against us as a Dallas Star goalie in a playoff series. We *STILL* advanced.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
The Wild must have a plan to trade for a top 6 center or else their centers are Eriksson Ek, Johansson (can play both center and wing), Bjugstad, Rask :skeptic:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kind of reminds me of the Kassian for Prust deal with the 5th rounder, I would have assumed that Staal had the higher salary which would be the reason for the trade for Minnesota.

A shame we couldn't have been in on this swapping Pearson for Staal making him our 3rd line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad