Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The same medical teams that McDavid ignored completely to make a miraculous comeback last year? Idk. I'm not a doctor, but something doesn't pass the sniff test.

Are you even sure Edmonton’s doctors checked him out?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
People who didn't see he was injured has never seen a healthy Broberg play, so their opinions is automatically disregarded.
That actually quite true. Most of the posters who were making those comments have never watched him play more than a couple games in his career. A few were also posters that were caught lying about watching him play every game at last years WJHC.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
People who didn't see he was injured has never seen a healthy Broberg play, so their opinions is automatically disregarded.
Not sure how one could not see that he was injured. His explosive speed is his calling card and it was lacking. Him being named team captain is proof enough that he is far from junk. It is just too bad for him and us that we couldn't see him play in his full form.

Reactions: nabob

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Not sure how one could not see that he was injured. His explosive speed is his calling card and it was lacking.
Yeah that's what I mean. If you've never seen him play you wouldn't have seen what his strengths are with your own eyes, and then it's easy to sit on hfboards are spew feces.

Reactions: nabob

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The same medical teams that McDavid ignored completely to make a miraculous comeback last year? Idk. I'm not a doctor, but something doesn't pass the sniff test.

Search under the rocks for conspiracy! McDavid's injury was very specific, severe and atypical of more 'traditional' hockey injuries. Well worth exploring specialized opinions given this reality. Broberg's injuries clearly no where near as severe and had direct access to Sweden's medical and the Oilers given the tournament being held in their backyard. Not sure what you're smelling but hope it's not tinfoil burning. Pragmatic, professional care and advise for a million dollar asset and Swedish team captain.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Search under the rocks for conspiracy! McDavid's injury was very specific, severe and atypical of more 'traditional' hockey injuries. Well worth exploring specialized opinions given this reality. Broberg's injuries clearly no where near as severe and had direct access to Sweden's medical and the Oilers given the tournament being held in their backyard. Not sure what you're smelling but hope it's not tinfoil burning. Pragmatic, professional care and advise for a million dollar asset and Swedish team captain.

What conspiracy? Weve been one of the more injured teams for awhile, I don't think I'm trying to insinuate some huge tinfoil hat scheme here... just suggesting that perhaps we dont have the best doctors.

For decades we, as a hockey team, couldn't hire good Hockey people. Why in the world is it ludicrous to suggest the same people (hockey people I might add) that hired people who couldn't run a hockey team perhaps also hired a doctor that's not that great?

We're talking about the same people that hired Tamby, Chia, Mact, Eakins, etc...

North

Jun 25, 2009
What conspiracy? Weve been one of the more injured teams for awhile, I don't think I'm trying to insinuate some huge tinfoil hat scheme here... just suggesting that perhaps we dont have the best doctors.

For decades we, as a hockey team, couldn't hire good Hockey people. Why in the world is it ludicrous to suggest the same people (hockey people I might add) that hired people who couldn't run a hockey team perhaps also hired a doctor that's not that great?

We're talking about the same people that hired Tamby, Chia, Mact, Eakins, etc...

To be frank this post seems like complaining for the sake of complaining.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

McDavid and Broberg's injuries are apples and bananas. We know - with benefit of a 'corporate' video production how severe McDavid's injury was and that it required significant specialized opinions from multiple medical experts. This is a highly suspect comparison that you've used to make a leap into significant speculation into core medical personnel who are highly regulated as a profession. Hockey operation personnel are not subject to either the education rigour or certification standards of medical professionals. Just because the organization failed massively on the operation side does not equate causation that their medical professionals are somehow deficient in their care and treatment of the millionaire workforce.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Man oh man.
With injuries like that I'm really mad they kept playing him.
Shit like that is how you end up constantly injured thru your career like. Karlsson or Klefbom

You can tell how much he wanted to represent his nation with how crushed he was when they got eliminated but man... He needed someone in his corner thinking about his future

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Man oh man.
With injuries like that I'm really mad they kept playing him.
Shit like that is how you end up constantly injured thru your career like. Karlsson or Klefbom

You can tell how much he wanted to represent his nation with how crushed he was when they got eliminated but man... He needed someone in his corner thinking about his future
The idea was that he did not play the round robin apparently, but he insisted. Good show of character right there imo. That is the dedication you want from players.

That means that the doctors cleared him to play. It most probably cost him a couple of weeks of regular SHL games, but obviously if there would have been any risk of long term effects they would not have allowed him to play. I trust the team docs for team Sweden were right on top of that, they normally are and have had no issues stopping players before. Broberg would not have been an exception. Considering the opposition I think management persuaded him not to play vs Austria since with all do respect that was a given (big) win.

Honestly, considering Broberg's character with respect to his career so far I have no doubt he would have sat out if it was requested of him. He said early on that he would do what Holland/EDM wanted him to do after the draft and again this season, when Holland said it was up to him to decide, only then did he chose to play in the SHL.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Also worth noting, which has been lost in many reports about Broberg's performance in the WJHC (I think by myself at some point as well), is that he was not even healthy for the very first game, in which he was very good imo. It got worse later on, but already from the get go he had his leg injury.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Dudes a warrior. You can only hope the doctors didn't think it was going to get worse by letting him continue to play, and you love to see that heart.

Kids gonna be a gamer for the franchise in a year or two.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017

What a dumb suggestion
Tampas doctors must be horrific.\St Louis too.
And on & on & on

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He’s been playing. I believe the prospect thread has some highlights. He seems to be healing quite well.

Yeah, I think he's been logging top pairing minutes, has a couple assists (and almost bagged a goal on a crazy rush) and looking good overall again :crossfing

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Sure hope he ends up as good as Klefbom. The team sure needs him to be. No pressure, kid!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sure hope he ends up as good as Klefbom. The team sure needs him to be. No pressure, kid!

I still think that he will be better than Klef. The only issue is when will he be NHL ready? He's a player that is worth the wait IMO, but we need to have another top 4 LD on our team soon.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I still think that he will be better than Klef. The only issue is when will he be NHL ready? He's a player that is worth the wait IMO, but we need to have another top 4 LD on our team soon.

Honestly, he is likely still 2 years away from making the team and 4 years away from not having to be sheltered. I would imagine he plays the majority of next year in the AHL, getting used to the smaller ice surface. Maybe with a cup of coffee in the NHL for injury callup. Then makes the team outright in 22-23, but likely plays bottom-pairing mins. D just take forevvvvvvveeeeer to develop, and I can't see why Broberg will be any different. Just look at Bouchard to see what that development curve likely looks like.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Honestly, he is likely still 2 years away from making the team and 4 years away from not having to be sheltered. I would imagine he plays the majority of next year in the AHL, getting used to the smaller ice surface. Maybe with a cup of coffee in the NHL for injury callup. Then makes the team outright in 22-23, but likely plays bottom-pairing mins. D just take forevvvvvvveeeeer to develop, and I can't see why Broberg will be any different. Just look at Bouchard to see what that development curve likely looks like.

Broberg doesn't have the same deficiencies that Bouch has/had. I'd like to see him start in the AHL as well but it wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team outright.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Broberg doesn't have the same deficiencies that Bouch has/had. I'd like to see him start in the AHL as well but it wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team outright.

He's a ways away from being NHL ready IMO. His game is still really raw and he doesn't have one skill outside of skating that is good enough to transition him to the NHL game seamlessly.

You need to do more than skate fast in a straight line to establish as an every day NHLer and there's just not a ton of substance to his game currently. He'll likely need a full year in the AHL next season before making the jump. Bouchard is more NHL ready because he thinks the game at a much higher level. At the very least, he should be able to QB a PP.

Klefbom was 21 when he became a full time NHLer. I could see a similar timeline for Broberg although Klef seemed a bit more polished at the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad