Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Discussion a few pages back but Broberg was slotted last year as Team Sweden's shutdown defender and as one poster established did a very solid job. Looking at Team Sweden's tendencies, they tend to dole out the PP minutes to their age 19 veterans. Through his three year tenure on Sweden's U20 team he's groomed with focus on defense, rose to go to shutdown defender last year, and this year's tournament slotted into a 20-22 minute defender with some secondary PP time which was likely inhibited by the injury which seemed to negatively affect his explosive skating and lateral movement.

This has been a highly disappointing tournament for the Oiler's elite prospect. I felt his first game was somewhat overhyped with three somewhat gratuitous points against a weak opponent but it seemed his skating and mobility obviously got worse as the tournament progressed. This was a humbling tournament for a proud Swedish team and viewing the post-game interview I doubt anyone took it harder than their captain. The u20 is a snapshot in development - an important one with best on best peer competition - but it is part of the long development process required to mature teenagers into professional hockey players. We've seen some clear development areas in Broberg's game imo - continuing to grow a more physical component to his defending, improving his shot blocking and augmenting a bit from a passive stick approach to defending with more active use of his size - all of which works on big ice and more finesse style in European leagues. Adding some physical elements like a Klefbom will help in development for small rink, aggressive and physical NHL play. His shot looks to need work with difficulty executing one-timers and not really showing a heavy shot which would help offensive production. Can't overlook and under appreciate this kid gritted out 20+ minutes/game playing through some form of injury. That's a plus in the character department for me.

We didn't see the best of Broberg this tournament. But I believe this kid has an iron will and intelligence to ultimately turn this heartbreaking adversity into motivation and the workboots required to grow his game to meet the high potential that made him a top ten NHL pick. Tough lessons but it will be what he does moving forward from this tournament's experiences that will be vital to his development.
I think he is definitely showing flashes of good this year but he seemed to get super overhyped by the media do to the play in camp.

He isn't NHL ready, right now and that's fine. He has plenty to work on but the flashes of good are good to see.

Dissapointing his tournament was so rough with injury etc. That last sequence to lose the tournament will probably live in his head for a long time.

Reactions: Aerchon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I for one don't think that Czechia is such a weak opponent. If compared to a team like Canada, yes, but not compared to Sweden. Anyone watching that game know it was very close and hard fought until mid-second period.

That was more or less the only time he was more or less injury free, although since he was shut down already mid-second period he probably was already suffering from something. That was a very good game from him. I also think that Finland is a stronger team than Sweden right now on junior level, Sweden living a bit on reputation, but player for player that Finnish team can match Sweden's lineup. In the game yesterday he was not bad at all, good on D an as active as he could on offense despite obviously being hampered by injury.

It's really impossible to measure the rest of his performance. Playing injured on one of the weakest sides Sweden has sent to the U20 for years. I mean look no further than Soderstrom, who I think is a good player but suffered to the general lack of talent up front. C depth was horrible, Raymond/Holtz were ok, but really nothing special at all. Maybe Soderblom was the only one who had me raising an eyebrow. Alnefeld being one of the best players despite the disasterous performance vs US says a lot.

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Ferraro on the Ray & Dregs podcast says Broberg was dealing with a severe Charlie horse and a if-not-separated-close-to-it shoulder injury.

I wondered if it was a bad charlie horse/contusion because I couldn't think of other injuries that would restrict his movement that the doctors would also still let him play through.

The shoulder...that's a concern. Hopefully it's a short term thing and we never hear of any Broberg shoulder injuries again....ever!

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I wondered if it was a bad charlie horse/contusion because I couldn't think of other injuries that would restrict his movement that the doctors would also still let him play through.

The shoulder...that's a concern. Hopefully it's a short term thing and we never hear of any Broberg shoulder injuries again....ever!
So..

.. What's with the Oilers drafting Swedish Left Shot defensemen and Shoulder injuries??

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He's out two weeks according to hockeysverige. Team doctor calling it a "soft tissue" issue for which he needs to rehab for a short period. So I am guessing they are referring to the charlie horse.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's out two weeks according to hockeysverige. Team doctor calling it a "soft tissue" issue for which he needs to rehab for a short period. So I am guessing they are referring to the charlie horse.

Kid is a gamer. Hopefully he is able to use the disappointment of the WJC's as added motivation to finish his season strong.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
According to Holland, Broberg played in the WJC with a partially separated shoulder and a slight tear above his knee. Explains his so-so play.

Kid is a battler for sure.

But no Broberg is a bust 100% right?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
But no Broberg is a bust 100% right?!?!?!?!?!?!
There was definitely some overreactions here. Broberg was obviously playing injured, but it didn’t stop the usual suspects from telling us all how bad the pick was. It was laughable then and laughable now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
There was definitely some overreactions here. Broberg was obviously playing injured, but it didn’t stop the usual suspects from telling us all how bad the pick was. It was laughable then and laughable now.
Just like always, the usual suspects fail and then don't ever post again

Reactions: Drai Fi

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Knee injury and a shoulder injury. Jesus. I'd argue he shouldn't have been playing with one of those, let alone both.

Literally every possible movement he'd make on the ice would have hurt, been slower, and have less power. Then you add in risk of aggravation from playing more... Idk, I don't think him playing the WJC was the right call. From a development standpoint or a winning Sweden a medal stand point.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Knee injury and a shoulder injury. Jesus. I'd argue he shouldn't have been playing with one of those, let alone both.

Literally every possible movement he'd make on the ice would have hurt, been slower, and have less power. Then you add in risk of aggravation from playing more... Idk, I don't think him playing the WJC was the right call. From a development standpoint or a winning Sweden a medal stand point.

I would have preferred he didn’t play but it was clear he really wanted to participate.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I would have preferred he didn’t play but it was clear he really wanted to participate.

Yes, all 19 yearolds are world renowned for their wisdom and risk management skills.

Choices like playing this tournament this banged up is how you retire at 27 when you should be at the prime of your career.

Its not even like its a ticky tacky injury... these are both the kind of injuries that nag guys for their entire career. Where the hell are the adults in the room? for Sweden and Edmonton?!

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

North

Jun 25, 2009
Yes, all 19 yearolds are world renowned for their wisdom and risk management skills.

Choices like playing this tournament this banged up is how you retire at 27 when you should be at the prime of your career.

Its not even like its a ticky tacky injury... these are both the kind of injuries that nag guys for their entire career. Where the hell are the adults in the room? for Sweden and Edmonton?!

Not sure if Edmonton doctors were allowed to assess him. Sweden’s doctors? Who knows. Maybe they felt if it wouldn’t be further aggravated he could still play.

I’m sure it wasn’t Broberg who made the final decision.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

My guess is right behind the world class medical teams that oversee these millionaire athletes.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Considering his injuries it’s amazing that he was still playing as well as he did in the last game.
Hopefully he’s taking a break until he’s fully healed up now.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Sucks for the kid. That tournament must have been torture. Really hope he gets back to 100% soon or I'll be cursing team Sweden and the coaches for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad