Prospect Info: 2019 198th Overall Pick | LW Mikhail Shalagin

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I like that he is coming over already. I'm just not sure he's good enough to play on the top 9 in Syracuse. So having him come over to play in Orlando makes no sense or the 4th line either. Maybe they will do kinda what Arizona did with Strome a few years ago. They kept him with the big club to work on his skating, he played very few games before sending him back to junior. They just wanted him with their skating coach full time. So maybe he just practices with the team when they are home and doesn't go on road trips just stays to work with Barb?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I like that he is coming over already. I'm just not sure he's good enough to play on the top 9 in Syracuse. So having him come over to play in Orlando makes no sense or the 4th line either. Maybe they will do kinda what Arizona did with Strome a few years ago. They kept him with the big club to work on his skating, he played very few games before sending him back to junior. They just wanted him with their skating coach full time. So maybe he just practices with the team when they are home and doesn't go on road trips just stays to work with Barb?
Sosunov's skating improved and he spent notable time with Orlando.

I'm a Bears guy, but I'm not really even advocating he be sent there (in this post). Barb Underhill works with multiple teams and once you've been given the drills, you've just got to do them without slacking off.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sosunov's skating improved and he spent notable time with Orlando.

I'm a Bears guy, but I'm not really even advocating he be sent there (in this post). Barb Underhill works with multiple teams and once you've been given the drills, you've just got to do them without slacking off.

He only played 37 games total last year and I don't remember him being injured. He was eligible to go back to Moose Jaw but they wanted him playing pro. They most likely did what I suggested with Shalagin with him where he trained and practiced more than he played. If that is the route they go then I have no problem with it as it's better for him that way. So it doesn't matter if it's Syracuse or Orlando as long as he's training a ton.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He only played 37 games total last year and I don't remember him being injured. He was eligible to go back to Moose Jaw but they wanted him playing pro. They most likely did what I suggested with Shalagin with him where he trained and practiced more than he played. If that is the route they go then I have no problem with it as it's better for him that way. So it doesn't matter if it's Syracuse or Orlando as long as he's training a ton.
I don't think not playing was really all that intentional.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Any chance that he comes over and plays in the NCAA, similar to Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i coming over after his draft in an attempt to join St. Cloud State?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He's going to turn 20 in September, the AHL is where he "should" play next season in the absolute. Kid has glaring but fixable weaknesses. Tampa's new reclamation project.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

google translate:

Last season, Mikhail Shalagin set the MHL record for the number of goals in the regular season (48) and was recognized as the most valuable player

In the near future, the 19-year-old striker will sign a three-year novice contract with Tampa and go to the Lightning farm club:

The article mentions that his contract with Spartak had ended April 30th and he is still un-signed. It also notes that even though Shalagin is 19 years old, he is married and has a young child, so this move to North America came with his family in mind.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

google translate:

Last season, Mikhail Shalagin set the MHL record for the number of goals in the regular season (48) and was recognized as the most valuable player

In the near future, the 19-year-old striker will sign a three-year novice contract with Tampa and go to the Lightning farm club:

The article mentions that his contract with Spartak had ended April 30th and he is still un-signed. It also notes that even though Shalagin is 19 years old, he is married and has a young child, so this move to North America came with his family in mind.

As if I couldn't like the kid more. I hope he succeeds. It'll take hard work but get at em kid. Just listen to Barb and you'll be just fine. Just ask Brayden Point

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You know what we should do? Like every one of us should start the most passionate debate ever about this guy, argue he's a superstar and make total holy hell over a 7th round pick and people who see it are gonna be so confused as to why this is like this biggest topic on HF Lightning

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Man he really does have a decent shot but of course that's some really bad goaltending he's facing. His absolute worst floor looks to be that of a serviceable AHL player. He's got 3 years to work on that skating, agility and to figure out the men's game.

Who knows? Maybe he is a star

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
48 in 43 in the MHL, ECHL is close to on par with talent to the MHL, I don't see how he ends up there in any capacity. His size will buy him some time and a roster spot with Syracuse. The latter part you may very well be correct with, they'll hold him for a handful of games to ensure he has the right training and gets some work with Barb, then send him to Siberacuse.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
48 in 43 in the MHL, ECHL is close to on par with talent to the MHL, I don't see how he ends up there in any capacity. His size will buy him some time and a roster spot with Syracuse. The latter part you may very well be correct with, they'll hold him for a handful of games to ensure he has the right training and gets some work with Barb, then send him to Siberacuse.
I can understand not wanting to reward a player with the ECHL right away, as an Orlando assignment is truly a career highlight, but the way the game is played in the MHL, a junior Russian league, has to be quite different from the ECHL, a men's professional hockey league.

I'm more familiar with CHL players, but overage success in that league does not automatically make for an instantly top-end ECHL player.

You can also get away with not being a great skater in the ECHL a bit more since it's more of a north-south type game. Many, MANY of the old scouting reports on ECHLers I read knock their skating.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I never said top end, but wouldn't be shocked if the talent level is comparable mainly due to the fact that the talent pool is less diluted there, plenty of guys don't want to come to the states and play. Arguments to be made either way about north-south play and olympic sized rinks too, certainly.

If he knew what was good for him, though, he'd start his hall-of-fame career path in Orlando like the rest of the greats.

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
It would have been nice for the org to give him one preseason game with the Lightning, even if he was AHL bound all along.

Unless they think it was too much of a step for him at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->