Prospect Info: 2018 World Junior Championships - Buffalo, NY, USA - Dec. 26th 2017 to Jan. 5th 2018

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Its just good to actually see a player who cares about winning and loosing, that fire is barley on this team besides guys like Hank Zuc, and occasionally Mcdonagh

Won't disagree with you there. The Rangers absolutely lack that.

He could have shown it in many other ways other than immediately taking his medal off and throwing it into the crowd though. His interview response was more than enough of an answer.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hockey needs more of this kind of passion and intensity. f*** "he doesnt have class" or "he doesn't show sportsmanship."

Grow up. Sports are becoming more intense and passionate like this because of how competitive it's gotten. Emotion like this has been growing for a while.

If Canada lost and one of their players did this, so many people would be praising it and Don Cherry would petition to have a parade for the kid.

Speaking of which...Coach's Corner is going to be lit.

Anyway, the hypocrisy is real.

There is nothing wrong with what Lias did.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah, I agree with @Irishguy42 Sweden feel silver is the same like a loss and Lias felt the same way, and no one should be happy with that even though it`s a good achievement reaching the final. I read he got his medal though after the event the same day.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Canadian media already feasting on this gift of a side story.

Rangers should publicly protect him, say he's passionate etc. Advise him behind closed doors to apologize.

People are super forgiving after public apologies.
Who cares what the Canadian media says? For Andersson to have to apologize for something so meaningless is ridiculous.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
If it's so meaningless then why the hell is he trending on Twitter?
A lot of meaningless and dumb things trend on twitter. Barstool was able to get trending once by doing absolutely nothing. This will be all forgotten within a month. Its not like he went Ron Artest or Mike Millbury and jumped into the crowd to fight someone, he flipped his medal over to some guy people need to stop overreacting

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To be fair, I do think it's cruel to make guys stand there and be part of ceremony when they just lost. Just send them the medals.

The guys who take the bronze have no problem accepting them because they didn't just lose.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
True but that didn't answer the question.

People -- stupid or not -- consider it far from meaningless.

Look at this thread - 4 or 5 pages of "MedalGate" rather than the play on the ice.

But that doesn't make it meaningful, just immediate. For whatever reason, people feel compelled to use social media constantly, which means they have to continue to post and discuss things. this was something that happened recently, so it will be discussed until something else happens.
If we (and Twitter) are still talking about this a lot in 72 hours, then I'll agree that it is meaningful, until then it's just more idle chatter by those who are bored (which includes me on this forum :) ).

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
But that doesn't make it meaningful, just immediate. For whatever reason, people feel compelled to use social media constantly, which means they have to continue to post and discuss things. this was something that happened recently, so it will be discussed until something else happens.
If we (and Twitter) are still talking about this a lot in 72 hours, then I'll agree that it is meaningful, until then it's just more idle chatter by those who are bored (which includes me on this forum :) ).

Well it'll be at least another 24 hours since Cherry will spend most of tomorrow's CC talking about the WJC and Andersson.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
To be fair, I do think it's cruel to make guys stand there and be part of ceremony when they just lost. Just send them the medals.

The guys who take the bronze have no problem accepting them because they didn't just lose.
100% agreed I'm shocked more stuff like this hasn't happened before. Only other thing I can remember was Kovalchuck and others of team Russia walking off the ice during the Canadian national anthem.

Reactions: Machinehead

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Which is kinda funny on these boards because lot of people have this opinion that unless your team wins the Cup the season has been a failure.

I think that second is always better than third and third better than fourth. I also think you can learn valuable lessons from not winning, but I can't see how anything other than first is acceptable in someone's mind.

And obviously you don't always get your way, you gotta deal with not always getting what you want, but I personally do not think there's a problem with only being okay with first place.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If a Canadian player did that these same idiots would be praising him. **** i hate Canadian hockey fans. And then they wonder why they are universally hated.
Because they good. The best teams have the most obnoxious fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad