GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 30 • Bronze: CZE (3) - USA (9) F

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
None taken, I don't disagree. The format of the world juniors is the underlying cause. 10 teams participate, and the semifinalists don't always represent the best four. If you play this tournament with a full round robin and place everyone accordingly, I think USA is about 6th place. Instead, we're somehow still playing for a medal.
I think you’re being a little hard on yourself. The reason why I was so passionate in the GDT yesterday is because I was far more scared of having to play the US for gold than any other team.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Every single team has looked sloppy, so it's not like USA is special in that regard.

If USA beats Czech then they beat each of the top countries in this tournament aside from Sweden, I'd consider that a decent tournament.

In a dream world round robin and shootouts would be replaced for a best of 3 and extended OT or something but it will never happen.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
US loves to not care much about Bronze medal games....the second they don't play for Gold they seem to lose all interest.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
US loves to not care much about Bronze medal games....the second they don't play for Gold they seem to lose all interest.

That also extends to the fans, myself included.
3rd place or 4th place? Who cares?

Wise man once said:
"If you ain't first, you're last."

Reactions: Kyndig

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If the US comes to play they should win this... Czechs have some good players but not deep enough imo for the US.

Coachingstaff7

Dec 31, 2016
USA : Deeper line up (and much more talent on my opinion).
CZE : Motivation to find their way back on top of the world ! It's going to be easier to motivate and prepared themselves !

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Ok, but I don't think a bunch of teenagers that's reached a level where they're considered the elite of their age group is "meh" about a bronze medal. If they win the bronze, wouldn't that be one of the biggest accomplishments in their careers thus far. I just don't believe that type of "who cares" mentality comes naturally to any WJC team from any nation . I know one guy that performs at the highest level in his sport and there is sooooo much work and sacrifice behind it while the rest of us get to watch while we drink our beer and eat our chips. They're different from you and me.

My 2 cents anyway

They do care about winning the bronze. It's just an excuse the fans are preparing to use if their team doesn't win it. Happened in Sochi, and it's happening now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Harper's typical 1st period chance and no finish. Glad that's out of the way, he can go watch the rest of the game.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Harper's typical 1st period chance and no finish. Glad that's out of the way, he can go watch the rest of the game.

Because he's not a high draft pick he hasn't been mentioned much among the disappointments in this tournament but man he has been bad the last two years.

I don't know what he's doing differently at BU but he just disappears in these WJC games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Because he's not a high draft pick he hasn't been mentioned much among the disappointments in this tournament but man he has been bad the last two years.

I don't know what he's doing differently at BU but he just disappears in these WJC games.

He's not the only one, but there are way too many guys on the US squad who get absolutely nothing done in the offensive zone. Frederic is a stud at UW, having watched him there due to Weissbach on his wing, but here? Zip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad