GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 27 • SF1: SWE (4) - USA (2) F

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I mean he has been very good. Not exactly sure what you expect from the kid lol half the goals he has given up have been like double deflections. Not to mention that half his games he basically isn't facing any shots at all.

I dont think he has been great, as you said he has not even had to face much yet, how can you be great when you are not facing all that many good shots?

He was in one real tough pressure situation in the shootout and he did not win that battle.

I want him to every bit as good as they keep saying he is on tsn but he hasnt done anything to prove that yet here. But hey..............i;m in his corner.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I can't believe how the US crumbed like that, Sweden with a well deserved trip to the final. Barring a major upset in the CAN-CZE game a Canada-Sweden final will be a treat. Not many flashy Canadian stars as we're accustomed to but to me it seems to be a deep hard working Canadian group. We'll see.

Reactions: jj cale

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I dont think he has been great, as you said he has not even had to face much yet, how can you be great when you are not facing all that many good shots?

He was in one real tough pressure situation in the shootout and he did not win that battle.

I want him to every bit as good as they keep saying he is on tsn but he hasnt done anything to prove that yet here. But hey..............i;m in his corner.
I just think it's a bit unfair to say he hasn't been very good. He has basically done everything he could be asked to do so far in my opinion. No he didn't look amazing in the shootout...but it's a shootout. He had a solid game against Finland, was Canada's player of the game against the U.S and basically hasn't had to do a single thing in any of the games.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
Cause he's better

He's better at letting pucks into the net, if that's what you mean. Of the ten starting goalies, the only ones with worse save percentages are the goalies from Denmark, Finland, and Belarus.

His NCAA stats are also worse than Oettinger's:

Player16-1717-18
Woll.913.898
Oettinger.927.902
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I really wish TSN would stop pushing this narrative of how great Carter Hart is.

He really hasn't proved anything here yet other then that it is a given he is our starter.
I think they have been looking at his numbers in junior. They are ridiculous. Not the norm for junior.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I just think it's a bit unfair to say he hasn't been very good. He has basically done everything he could be asked to do so far in my opinion. No he didn't look amazing in the shootout...but it's a shootout. He had a solid game against Finland, was Canada's player of the game against the U.S and basically hasn't had to do a single thing in any of the games.

I basically only said he has not done anything HERE to prove he is as great as TSN is plugging him as.

I am pretty touchy when it comes to Canadian goaltenders at this thing now, they have to PROVE to me they are up to the task now, press clippings from TSN and halcyon stats from the WHL mean absolutely nothing to me anymore.

You can't really blame me.

Last edited:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Yeah...the USA player totally took a dive and stayed down even after the call for reasons...in a game they were down by 2 in with a whopping 4 seconds left. :sarcasm:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, one shot one goal.

it was a nice shot but as I said.............................proof not hype is what convinces me.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Too bad Swayman never got a chance, goalie let them down today as did the power play. Some bad coaching choices picking Poehling to a bigger role strikes of favortism. Lot of high sticks today that were not called.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
USA owned about 2/3 of the game but Gustavsson was amazing and we (Sweden) capitalized on almost all our chances, super efficient.

I agree with this. In the first period alone Sweden didn't even get a shot off until about 7 minutes into the game as the USA worked the cycle and that kind of continued for a while until they broke through with one of their powerplays late in the 2nd. It was 1-0 until 13:43 left in the 3rd with USA leading in shots..then USA completely imploded with 2 shorties against...and it was no longer a game.

Ah well good luck to Sweden in the gold medal game against Canada or the Czechs.

Reactions: 21

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He's better at letting pucks into the net, if that's what you mean. Of the ten starting goalies, the only ones with worse save percentages are the goalies from Denmark, Finland, and Belarus.

His NCAA stats are also worse than Oettinger's:

Player16-1717-18
Woll.913.898
Oettinger.927.902
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The problem to me isn't that Woll played more games/got #1.. the problem is he was gifted it. Oettinger wasn't even given a chance.. there was no competition for the job and Woll did better.. he was handed all the games on a silver plate.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Wasn't going to watch the game but after reading the last few pages, obviously I need to. Slashing, diving, whining - love it.

Hopefully we get CAN-SWE which is looking promising atm

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Wow, Kyrou is a special talent.

Can't believe St.Louis has him and Thomas to add to their already rich F core.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
I agree with this. In the first period alone Sweden didn't even get a shot off until about 7 minutes into the game as the USA worked the cycle and that kind of continued for a while until they broke through with one of their powerplays late in the 2nd. It was 1-0 until 13:43 left in the 3rd with USA leading in shots..then USA completely imploded with 2 shorties against...and it was no longer a game.

Ah well good luck to Sweden in the gold medal game against Canada or the Czechs.

Not really, the better team won. 21 is just a token Swede with an analysis thats robotically slanted against his own country. The same type of swedish personality who has a "bad feeling" pre-game and would predict a swedish loss against any top 4 team.

So he's pretty much the very opposite of you but its nice that you can find common ground ;)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
If he is out tomorrow, I will concede. If he plays, I was right. Because he went off the ice like he had a blown ACL or something.
Actually, doctor, you are the one saying he was injured by the slash. I was the one saying he was fine. We'll see tomorrow who was right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad