GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 27 • SF1: SWE (4) - USA (2) F

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
USA has beaten Canada, Finland and Russia they are the clear favorite in this tournament if anything people are severely underrating the USA.

They beat Canada in a meaningless game in conditions that were not indoor hockey quality.

Russia and Finland are pretty weak this year.

Honestly I haven’t been a huge fan of team USA this year outside of a few people. The program is on par with Canada I just don’t think they are as good as in years past (and I don’t think they have a Tyler Parsons who stole games last tourney).

Canada is the favourite just by the fact they have Czech in the semis.

I’d lean to Sweden over USA this year. Just my opinion.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
The Czech game was Sweden's only good one (not counting Switzerland or Belarus), they looked pretty weak against both Russia and Slovakia. I hate to say it but they'll easily bow out against USA as usual, adding to the choker label even more.

Reactions: DDRhockey

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
They beat Canada in a meaningless game in conditions that were not indoor hockey quality.

Russia and Finland are pretty weak this year.

Honestly I haven’t been a huge fan of team USA this year outside of a few people. The program is on par with Canada I just don’t think they are as good as in years past (and I don’t think they have a Tyler Parsons who stole games last tourney).

Canada is the favourite just by the fact they have Czech in the semis.

I’d lean to Sweden over USA this year. Just my opinion.
Yeah, the U.S beat Canada in a shootout in a game that more resembled shinny than world class hockey.

The Americans have a very good team and could very well win the tournament. They are far from the clear favourite though.

Edit: It's also funny that this poster is calling people out for saying the game is meaningless. When the U.S were down in that game he said the game should be scrapped and that it wasn't fair to play in those conditions.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The Czech game was Sweden's only good one (not counting Switzerland or Belarus), they looked pretty weak against both Russia and Slovakia. I hate to say it but they'll easily bow out against USA as usual, adding to the choker label even more.

The Americans didn't exactly look like world beaters against those teams either. Sure the Americans could win but if you are basing it on how each team has looked in this tournament I am not sure why you would favor the Americans.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
The Americans didn't exactly look like world beaters against those teams either. Sure the Americans could win but if you are basing it on how each team has looked in this tournament I am not sure why you would favor the Americans.

I don't think Sweden has played close to the level USA has at times this tournament. The Canada game impressed me a lot, and I still think they were the clearly better team against Russia. They get a pass for the Slovakia game, it was just a group stage game after all.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't think Sweden has played close to the level USA has at times this tournament. The Canada game impressed me a lot, and I still think they were the clearly better team against Russia. They get a pass for the Slovakia game, it was just a group stage game after all.

There was nothing in the Canada that should have impressed you, with the conditions it was hard to take anything from that game and even then Canada was clearly the better team.

I really don't see a point in giving a team a pass in a short tournament when judging how they have played. It seems seems like a way to ignore something that doesn't fit your narrative. As for it "just being a group stage game" it meant the US had to go Russia-Sweden-Canada to win Gold rather than Switzerland-Czech-Canada so it had a pretty big outcome.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Brown's a go per USAH twitter:

DSt8XqQWsAAOpJs.jpg:small

well, here we go, Brown is back in. I can see the 4th line for him to start, but it would not shock me to see him replace Poehling by the half-way point.

can't wait!

Reactions: derriko

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
well, here we go, Brown is back in. I can see the 4th line for him to start, but it would not shock me to see him replace Poehling by the half-way point.

can't wait!
It all depends on how good to go Brown really is. He'll probably move up if it's not a lingering injury anymore, but if he's fighting through it to be a gamer, the fourth's fine and I can still see them benching him if it's going to hurt them.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Judging from the past games, the US will probably outplay Sweden and it's going to come down to the keepers in this one.

If Woll doesn't give up any softies like he did in a couple of the previous games, the US will probably win.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
There was nothing in the Canada that should have impressed you, with the conditions it was hard to take anything from that game and even then Canada was clearly the better team.

I really don't see a point in giving a team a pass in a short tournament when judging how they have played. It seems seems like a way to ignore something that doesn't fit your narrative. As for it "just being a group stage game" it meant the US had to go Russia-Sweden-Canada to win Gold rather than Switzerland-Czech-Canada so it had a pretty big outcome.

That's not how I remember it.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I said it before- the USA and Canada will meet again in the final. I think the USA matches very well against Sweden. They will win this.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Most likely another low scoring affair between these two teams, four goals tops, predicting 3-1 USA last goal scored in an empty net. This with the United States being the clearly better team over 60 minutes, there is no massive gap in talent, the rosters are about even in that regard, Sweden just matches up very poorly against North american opponents.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I see lias wants to play again, unless hes better then he was two days ago I really blame the doctors and coaches for letting him play, he did not help his team trying to play injured at half capacity, if he cant play his game I dont see the point risking further aggravation of his injury and hurting the team as the number 1 center, he was barely taking a shift at the end.

Now if he is actually fine its a different story, but I see some quotes of him saying as long as he has two legs and two arms he will play.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I see lias wants to play again, unless hes better then he was two days ago I really blame the doctors for letting him play, he did not help his team trying to play injured at half capacity, if he cant play his game I dont see the point risking further aggravation of his injury and hurting the team as the number 1 center.

Now if he is actually fine its a different story, but I see some quotes of him saying as long as he has two legs and two arms he will play.

Would be incredibly stupid to not dress your captain who is just a little bit sore. He can be benched at any time during the game if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad