GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 25 • QF4: USA (4) - RUS (2) F

AirJordan

May 23, 2013
andrei svechnikov doesn't look impressive

Svechnikov managed to put up 5 assists, playing 4th line minutes with almost zero pp time. i don't get this whole "doesn't look impressive" stuff, what did you expect? he is 17 years old comming from an injury and was clearly misused by bragin AND nevertheless went ppg as an double underager... how many es points has zadina, playing on the 2nd czech line? yes, zero. if this tournament brought something meaningful insight, then that svech can generate in all situations and in every role.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Ferraro's point about what has happened to the Russian skill game in recent years? Is this just Bragin trying to be... something? A hardcase?

Talent is inherited, but skill is acquired. The Russian "skill" stereotype dates back to Soviet hockey, but hasn't applied to Russian teams since then (1960-1990). This team was more unskilled than other Russian teams in the last two decades.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
The Russians came out to play ringette.
do they think they can win playing like they just signed on to Kazakstan's play book.
Their defense is stationary and very willing to play for a mistake by the opposition.
I don't get it.
Where is their forecheck? team play?
They deserved to lose for sure.

Reactions: Fantomas

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hughes is a young offensively gifted defensemen who has had some issues so far. His skating is phenomenal and in the beginning of the tournament he looked really good out there, but nerves or just a bad stretch can easily happen to young kids like this. This kid is a legit top 10 pick, he has handled himself very well against grown men in the NCAA this year so do not look at a few games and write the kid off. He never was going to be the next Scott Stevens out there, but I agree his play was bad and his ice time showcased that. He has the ability to step up and earn some more minutes tomorrow but with the way Samberg has been playing on both sides of the puck, Hughes has taken a back seat and rightfully so.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hughes is a young offensively gifted defensemen who has had some issues so far. His skating is phenomenal and in the beginning of the tournament he looked really good out there, but nerves or just a bad stretch can easily happen to young kids like this. This kid is a legit top 10 pick, he has handled himself very well against grown men in the NCAA this year so do not look at a few games and write the kid off. He never was going to be the next Scott Stevens out there, but I agree his play was bad and his ice time showcased that. He has the ability to step up and earn some more minutes tomorrow but with the way Samberg has been playing on both sides of the puck, Hughes has taken a back seat and rightfully so.

No one is writing him off, but he's looked like he has no clue how to play hockey some shifts. Hopefully this is just an injury hindering him or something, because it looks like his brain fell out before the tournament. Different player from the couple of times I've seen him with Michigan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad