OT: 2018 Winnipeg Blue Bombers (10-7) NEXT @ EDM (8-9) November 3 (CLINCHED PLAYOFFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Those numbers look to me like play calling is just as big of an issue. I don't have confidence that either QB can do it consistently but Nichols can throw it if necessary.
He hasn't shown he can throw it consistently if necessary. The Bomber receivers run plenty of seam routes and deep outs, Nichols rarely opts for them, particularly against the blitz. He chooses the check down or 3rd read way too often, it's not LaPolice. Nobody is asking him to air it out the whole game but unless he can show he can effectively beat teams over the top when the opportunity presents itself, those teams are just going to take away the underneath routes or pin their ears back and come right at Nichols.

Lapolice's problem is he's too in love with his 5 receiver sets with all kinds of crossing and swing routes. He arguably has the best between the tackles RB in the league, and the O-line to match, yet he routinely goes away from handing Harris the ball and decides to miadirect his way down the field. Team's have caught on to That, as well as Nichols inability to stretch the field.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
It's good for the league when he hasn't completed a TD pass in 3 games and has lost all 3? And is rumoured to become one of the highest paid QBs. That's bull****. The CFL needs to improve their officials and command centre not give johnny boy anything he wants

It's great for the league. I watch a lot of American sports media and the consensus was he was gonna come up and do well because the CFL is so dinky.

The CFL is legit, and this is sending that message down south. You gotta ball hard if you want to make it in the league.

I hated the trade for MTL at the time, and still do. Why get him this year anyways. Just wait until the off-season and give up less.

The nice thing is Manzeil appears to have gotten his personal life in order. That's way more importatant than his viability as a QB.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It's great for the league. I watch a lot of American sports media and the consensus was he was gonna come up and do well because the CFL is so dinky.

The CFL is legit, and this is sending that message down south. You gotta ball hard if you want to make it in the league.

I hated the trade for MTL at the time, and still do. Why get him this year anyways. Just wait until the off-season and give up less.

The nice thing is Manzeil appears to have gotten his personal life in order. That's way more importatant than his viability as a QB.
Yup. And people forget how brutal Calvillo was to start his career. They write Manziel off after three games. I'm not saying he's gonna be a star but QBs really struggle adjusting to this league.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's good for the league when he hasn't completed a TD pass in 3 games and has lost all 3? And is rumoured to become one of the highest paid QBs. That's bull****. The CFL needs to improve their officials and command centre not give johnny boy anything he wants

I'm not sure the officials and command centre are giving "Johnny boy everything he wants" when he has, as you say, 0 TDs and 6 picks.

It's good for the league because he's playing in a market where Laval is a more important team than the Als, and maybe it improves attendance in those eastern markets where CFL is low on the totem pole.

I still don't think it's enough in Montreal to outdraw Montreal Impact but it's a good start.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I was saying cfl needs to improve their reffing and command centre. That would improve attendance everywhere. Manziel is a ****ing joke

I don't think it's simply reffing in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. It's MLS.

Attractions bring in attendance. Johnny is an attraction.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I was saying cfl needs to improve their reffing and command centre. That would improve attendance everywhere. Manziel is a ****ing joke
So you were commenting on the state of CFL officiating and just taking a shot at Manziel for the hell of it?

CFL officiating is poor but I really don't think it has an impact on attendance.

Reactions: bustamente

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So you were commenting on the state of CFL officiating and just taking a shot at Manziel for the hell of it?

CFL officiating is poor but I really don't think it has an impact on attendance.

A shot at Manziel is always warranted.

The American media, Manziel and his agent (based on contract demands, don't care what the PR department they have says), hell even the Canadian media had ALOT peddled into the idea that Manziel would come up here and just dominate cause he was some kind of wonder kid at the college level. People that actually follow the CFL kept saying over and over and OVER again said we've seen this story, it never works out like you think it will. CFL is still a big step up. But no Manziel was good at some big college and NCAA is clearly better than CFL they say so Manziel will dominante and jump back to NFL where he belongs, and it was clearly what Manziel also thought. So yeah shots at how bad he's been considering that stupid hype is always warranted, it's very justified.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
A shot at Manziel is always warranted.

The American media, Manziel and his agent (based on contract demands, don't care what the PR department they have says), hell even the Canadian media had ALOT peddled into the idea that Manziel would come up here and just dominate cause he was some kind of wonder kid at the college level. People that actually follow the CFL kept saying over and over and OVER again said we've seen this story, it never works out like you think it will. CFL is still a big step up. But no Manziel was good at some big college and NCAA is clearly better than CFL they say so Manziel will dominante and jump back to NFL where he belongs, and it was clearly what Manziel also thought. So yeah shots at how bad he's been considering that stupid hype is always warranted, it's very justified.
I've followed the CFL my whole life (which I wager has been longer than yours), I'm fully aware of all the big name busts who were going to come and tear up the CFL (Vince Ferragamo anyone)?

Of course the CFL is a big step up from D1 NCAA, that's news? Still don't get why any of these guys deserve all the vitriol, he's just a football player trying to make a living. His very existence here causes people to hate him? That's just weird.

Reactions: Laine Fan

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I've followed the CFL my whole life (which I wager has been longer than yours), I'm fully aware of all the big name busts who were going to come and tear up the CFL (Vince Ferragamo anyone)?

Of course the CFL is a big step up from D1 NCAA, that's news? Still don't get why any of these guys deserve all the vitriol, he's just a football player trying to make a living. His very existence here causes people to hate him? That's just weird.

Read any CFL thread on this board alone (including this one) and you'll see ignorant people claiming NCAA would easily beat down CFL teams. And since Manziel was some kind of star he would just destroy this league. Paid more than some starters just come north, now demanding to be the top paid player in the CFL to re-sign. What a f***ing ego after 3 bad games. His selfishness, his disrespect for the CFL and football in general, his unprofessional attitude, his ridiculous cult like status for some, there are ALOT of reasons to hate Manziel. I don't hate him, I love the point he is making to many many ignorant fans. But that point is made, I'm tired of everything being about the like 20th best QB in the CFL. If the media and fans would let go of this fantasy of him being near a CFL a ready starter, nevermind any kind of star I wouldn't care. But despite his bad play people keep insisting on talking about this joker.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I think Manziel is 1 and done in the CFL if there is not any interest from the NFL he probably goes to one of the other start up leagues down south whenever and or if they ever start.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think Manziel is 1 and done in the CFL if there is not any interest from the NFL he probably goes to one of the other start up leagues down south whenever and or if they ever start.

I'd be very shocked if the new AAF and the CFL don't already have an agreement to respect each other's contracts. It's in both of their best interests and if has not happened will. Players under contract won't be allowed to jump back and forth from those leagues, IMO. During their inaugural draft the league did not select any current CFL players (plenty of former CFL players though). The wresting whatever won't ever matter if it even starts. So it's very very unlikely Manziel will go to AAF next year, IMO. Also the AAF has stated they are looking for players who failed to make both NFL AND CFL. They've actually stated that. It'd be a big pay cut for most players to go from CFL to AAF and a drop in level.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Read any CFL thread on this board alone (including this one) and you'll see ignorant people claiming NCAA would easily beat down CFL teams. And since Manziel was some kind of star he would just destroy this league. Paid more than some starters just come north, now demanding to be the top paid player in the CFL to re-sign. What a ****ing ego after 3 bad games. His selfishness, his disrespect for the CFL and football in general, his unprofessional attitude, his ridiculous cult like status for some, there are ALOT of reasons to hate Manziel. I don't hate him, I love the point he is making to many many ignorant fans. But that point is made, I'm tired of everything being about the like 20th best QB in the CFL. If the media and fans would let go of this fantasy of him being near a CFL a ready starter, nevermind any kind of star I wouldn't care. But despite his bad play people keep insisting on talking about this joker.

I was rooting for him in general, but for him to play at even an acceptable CFL level, he needed to be on a roster for a year. He was out of football way to long.

Hamilton was doing it right, putting him behind an established starter, but then MTL saw an opportunity to sell some tickets and made a terrible trade. No way Hamilton says no to that package, especially when they knew he would be probably off their roster next season.

If Tom Brady was put into Manziel's situation he would have a hard enough time. It's not all on Johnny, MTL has to wear this too.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Holy shit this BC-HAM game is INSANE!

TiCats had the option for 44 yrd field goal attempt to go up ten with under a minute left, but decided to punt, and BC drove the field got the 2 point conversion, and tied the game.

DAMN!

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Holy **** this BC-HAM game is INSANE!

TiCats had the option for 44 yrd field goal attempt to go up ten with under a minute left, but decided to punt, and BC drove the field got the 2 point conversion, and tied the game.

DAMN!
WTF was that?! I couldn't believe it, who passes up a 44 yrd field goal attempt indoors to put the game away. What a moron.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
WTF was that?! I couldn't believe it, who passes up a 44 yrd field goal attempt indoors to put the game away. What a moron.
No kidding , even if the guy misses a 44 yarder you could get the return guy in his endzone for a single point which would have probably been enough .

Reactions: Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
No kidding , even if the guy misses a 44 yarder you could get the return guy in his endzone for a single point which would have probably been enough .

The chances of the returner running a missed field goal back for a score are much greater than being tackled in the end zone for a single. That is why long field goals are considered risky moves.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The chances of the returner running a missed field goal back for a score are much greater than being tackled in the end zone for a single. That is why long field goals are considered risky moves.
A 44 yrd FG indoors should not be considered "long". They make that kick they win the game.

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He hasn't shown he can throw it consistently if necessary. The Bomber receivers run plenty of seam routes and deep outs, Nichols rarely opts for them, particularly against the blitz. He chooses the check down or 3rd read way too often, it's not LaPolice. Nobody is asking him to air it out the whole game but unless he can show he can effectively beat teams over the top when the opportunity presents itself, those teams are just going to take away the underneath routes or pin their ears back and come right at Nichols.

Lapolice's problem is he's too in love with his 5 receiver sets with all kinds of crossing and swing routes. He arguably has the best between the tackles RB in the league, and the O-line to match, yet he routinely goes away from handing Harris the ball and decides to miadirect his way down the field. Team's have caught on to That, as well as Nichols inability to stretch the field.

To be fair, I don't really see QBs in the CFL go deep a lot. Nichols certainly does not, but I think Lapolice influences him there. Nichols problem, as you've pointed out, is that he's frazzled in the face of a blitz or any pressure whatsoever. When he goes deep, it's usually pretty successful. That's what I mean by he can throw it consistently: he has the ability to do it, but his decision making is iffy when the opportunities present themselves.

I don't think Strelever is the answer either. This team is still short a good CFL QB, but they have a running back that allows the offence not to need one. Too bad they can't seem to use him properly. If they go down, the best chance is still Harris, but they try to put it in the air too often and it never works.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
To be fair, I don't really see QBs in the CFL go deep a lot. Nichols certainly does not, but I think Lapolice influences him there. Nichols problem, as you've pointed out, is that he's frazzled in the face of a blitz or any pressure whatsoever. When he goes deep, it's usually pretty successful. That's what I mean by he can throw it consistently: he has the ability to do it, but his decision making is iffy when the opportunities present themselves.

I don't think Strelever is the answer either. This team is still short a good CFL QB, but they have a running back that allows the offence not to need one. Too bad they can't seem to use him properly. If they go down, the best chance is still Harris, but they try to put it in the air too often and it never works.

Except Harris wasn't in uniform after the half I think. And was limping a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->