OT: 2018 Winnipeg Blue Bombers (10-7) NEXT @ EDM (8-9) November 3 (CLINCHED PLAYOFFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lots of media types stepping in to boost Nichols in response to fan concerns. Some point to his record, which is certainly a positive (particularly prior to this season). Others point to his stats this season, which I think are inflated when you consider who he's faced this season.

The point is that the Bombers need to find out how to win the Grey Cup after a horrendous drought in a league with only 9 teams. The issue with Nichols is that he's not as good as QBs on other contenders like the Esks and Stamps, so even though the Bombers might have the best overall rosters outside of QB, Nichols needs to be better than he has been if the Bombers are going to have a chance to break the drought.

Reactions: FFHockey

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Nichols needs to manage all the offensive options at his disposal, no more no less, lots of talent around him that needs to be used wisely, his throws especially long are in accurate, but when he hands the ball off often and keeps his throws under 15 yards he moves the ball add a few gadget plays and this team can score more than enough points to win

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nichols needs to manage all the offensive options at his disposal, no more no less, lots of talent around him that needs to be used wisely, his throws especially long are in accurate, but when he hands the ball off often and keeps his throws under 15 yards he moves the ball add a few gadget plays and this team can score more than enough points to win
He gift-wrapped two INTs for the TiCats that they dropped. Bombers were a bit lucky in a game that they should have won easily, and the only real performance issue was Nichols.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Lots of media types stepping in to boost Nichols in response to fan concerns. Some point to his record, which is certainly a positive (particularly prior to this season). Others point to his stats this season, which I think are inflated when you consider who he's faced this season.

The point is that the Bombers need to find out how to win the Grey Cup after a horrendous drought in a league with only 9 teams. The issue with Nichols is that he's not as good as QBs on other contenders like the Esks and Stamps, so even though the Bombers might have the best overall rosters outside of QB, Nichols needs to be better than he has been if the Bombers are going to have a chance to break the drought.

His stats this season aren't good. That would be a weird defense of his play this season. If Harris wasn't busting off 130-150 plus yards of offense per week the Bombers would likely have no more than 3 wins. Downfield passing hasn't been a prominent part of this attack. It's interesting too looking at the breakdown of Nichols stats (and all CFL stats, weekly CFL report) this season that his completion percentage on anything beyond a 3 yard pass from the LOS is under 50%. Forget the long bombs, 20 plus, the Bombers haven't really established any midrange downfield passing game either. That's encouraging in some ways, they've accomplished a lot with not much of a passing game.

What scares me is Harris getting hurt. He's got a lot of mileage and he's taking a lot of mileage this season. He is the Bombers offense. Flanders is good, Lafrance is good, but Harris is the man and everyone knows it. He is carrying the offense this season. Lapo needs to figure out how to make Nichols effective again. He's never been able to read blitz so they need to counter that, leave less of that in his hands.

Reactions: Laine Fan

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
His stats this season aren't good. That would be a weird defense of his play this season. If Harris wasn't busting off 130-150 plus yards of offense per week the Bombers would likely have no more than 3 wins. Downfield passing hasn't been a prominent part of this attack. It's interesting too looking at the breakdown of Nichols stats (and all CFL stats, weekly CFL report) this season that his completion percentage on anything beyond a 3 yard pass from the LOS is under 50%. Forget the long bombs, 20 plus, the Bombers haven't really established any midrange downfield passing game either. That's encouraging in some ways, they've accomplished a lot with not much of a passing game.

What scares me is Harris getting hurt. He's got a lot of mileage and he's taking a lot of mileage this season. He is the Bombers offense. Flanders is good, Lafrance is good, but Harris is the man and everyone knows it. He is carrying the offense this season. Lapo needs to figure out how to make Nichols effective again. He's never been able to read blitz so they need to counter that, leave less of that in his hands.

That's always been the knock on LaPo offences, stick with the same thing working or not! Lapo needs to figure out how to get Streveler on the field with some packages to mix things up more! Great RB and receiving core, O should be way better!

Reactions: Laine Fan

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dressler has been placed on the 6 game IL. Looks like he is done for a while. Dressler isn't any kind of key in the offense, but what is hurting is that they are replacing him with Ryan Lankford. Yes that Ryan Lankford is back in the starting lineup. He is a fine returner but he is an atrocious receiver (at least he was last year). So we'll see. We are going to rely on Adams pretty heavily in the passing game again with Thompkins, Demski, and Harris as secondary options.

Reactions: jetsforever

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Dressler has been placed on the 6 game IL. Looks like he is done for a while. Dressler isn't any kind of key in the offense, but what is hurting is that they are replacing him with Ryan Lankford. Yes that Ryan Lankford is back in the starting lineup. He is a fine returner but he is an atrocious receiver (at least he was last year). So we'll see. We are going to rely on Adams pretty heavily in the passing game again with Thompkins, Demski, and Harris as secondary options.

If only there was an all-star CFL receiver out there looking for work.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Demski has been a real pleasant surprise this season, guy is pretty solid!

And no the BB's don't need the head case and his Zeppelin sized ego Duron Carter!

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'll be heading to the game tonight!

Looking forward to seeing the Redblacks. Haven't seen too much of them this year, and they seem to be the class of the East so far.

Seems like they have a great offense, but let's see how they match up against the Bombers, who I believe are the third best team in the league right now.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'll be heading to the game tonight!

Looking forward to seeing the Redblacks. Haven't seen too much of them this year, and they seem to be the class of the East so far.

Seems like they have a great offense, but let's see how they match up against the Bombers, who I believe are the third best team in the league right now.

The pundits are talking about how our "improved" defense is going to be a real test for the RedBlacks. I'm of the opinion that maybe our defense hasn't really been tested the last few weeks, and going up against a good offense might reveal that the problems of Hall's defensive strategy haven't really been fixed.

Better win tonight. Next we've got Calgary and the LDC. Two almost certain losses.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Carter is bad for every team and the league. Glad he is gone and it sounds like he is staying gone.

I mean, maybe bad for individual teams, but I love big personalities on the field, especially at WR.

Carter at least can back up his talk on the field, although Duke Williams has overtaken him as the best receiver in the CFL.

I also feel bad for him considering how he was deployed this year. He's a receiver, and a damn good one, no matter what Chris Jones tried to do with him. I think he just lost it at Jones and the SASK coaching staff, and if I were a Rider fan I'd be really pissed at the current coaching staff. How a single person can be GM, President of Football Ops, Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator is beyond me, and I would never hire one person in those roles.

I recognize he might be bad for a locker room, but I'm selfish as a fan, and want to see that drama play out on the field.

We're losing this kind of thing:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I mean, maybe bad for individual teams, but I love big personalities on the field, especially at WR.

Carter at least can back up his talk on the field, although Duke Williams has overtaken him as the best receiver in the CFL.

I also feel bad for him considering how he was deployed this year. He's a receiver, and a damn good one, no matter what Chris Jones tried to do with him. I think he just lost it at Jones and the SASK coaching staff, and if I were a Rider fan I'd be really pissed at the current coaching staff. How a single person can be GM, President of Football Ops, Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator is beyond me, and I would never hire one person in those roles.

I recognize he might be bad for a locker room, but I'm selfish as a fan, and want to see that drama play out on the field.

We're losing this kind of thing:

I was at that game. Just a phenomenal athlete that can do it all for you. Score, defend, and flip the bird at the other team's fans. :laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'm really frustrated with the CFL/CFLPA/Johnny Manziel for what happened to him last week.

There is no way he should have gone back into that game, and that was obvious from just looking at the hit.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
DkuboJ4XgAAnDDV.jpg

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Holy cow is the Nichols defense force out in full on both radio stations.

He played poorly last game. It's ok to say that.
He has been quite mediocre all season thus far. Those who tout his record and stats need to take a look at the weakness of the competition he's faced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad