OT: 2018 Weather Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Edmonton East currently reporting +10 air quality. 285 fine particulate matter. This being the worst we've seen so far. but FAR worse is coming my friends. Genesee, Tomahawk, Drayton Valley numbers are indicative that we will certainly be seeing numbers in the 300's today and possibly as high as 400. It quite likely wouldn't even be daylight tomorrow. The pictures above will be Edmonton skies.

Genesee 438 as we speak. This for the record is twice as bad as what we experienced on Wednesday. Just when you think it couldn't get worse it gets twice as bad.

D0n't even go outside today if you can avoid it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Prince George, seemingly the epicentre of the worst air quality found anywhere reporting 598 fine particulate mass at the moment. Worse than yesterday morning when the dark pictures were shot. You probably can't see anything in Prince George today this AM. The sun literally won't rise this AM. (not visually)

This being an apocalyptic weather experience.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As we continue to experience extremely unhealthy Fine Particulate Matter exposure over a prolonged time why is more news on the seriousness of this not being reported in our news?

Today, with PM2.5 ratings in the range of 300-500 we've entered into the hazardous range. This article provides a scale. Ask yourself why this scale is not being reported or seen in the front page of every paper in Western Canada right now.

https://blissair.com/what-is-pm-2-5.htm

I wish I could find a copy/paste picture of the scale. Theres so few scales that actually tell the story on what effects vs levels of exposure.

By all means stay indoors today. Run hepafilters continuously if you happen to have one.

Heres a scale;

AQI.jpg

So that several reporting stations right now reporting in the 400 range are in "emergency conditions"

Conditions that are considered hazardous and that impact everybody potentially.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now this is the advisory from the Govt of Canada this AM. It is NOT consistent with the severity of the conditions we are seeing. It is downplaying it. The advisory we are seeing at this exact moment is consistent with the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" scale above. It is ridiculous that we are not seeing the correct advisory; I am frankly disgusted that a region of 1.3M people is not getting the correct and more serious advisory this AM.

Alerts for: City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park

Statements

4:33 AM MDT Saturday 18 August 2018
Special air quality statement in effect for:
  • City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
Smoke from forest fires in British Columbia continues to stream into most of Alberta resulting in locally poor air quality and reducing visibility.

AQHI values around and to the west of the Capital Region are at 10 or higher. Overnight plume of very dense smoke moved into the region, giving very low visibilities with some of the worst air quality that had been seen in the province this summer. Outdoor activities are strongly discouraged for most of today with some improvement likely later this afternoon and evening for areas around the Capital region and northward.

During a wildfire, smoke conditions can change quickly over short distances and can vary considerably hour-by-hour.
Individuals may experience symptoms such as increased coughing, throat irritation, headaches or shortness of breath. Children, seniors, and those with cardiovascular or lung disease, such as asthma, are especially at risk.

People with lung diseases, such as asthma and COPD, can be particularly sensitive to air pollution. They will generally experience more serious health effects at lower levels. Pollution can aggravate their diseases, leading to increased medication use, doctor and emergency room visits, and hospital visits.

Stay inside if you have breathing difficulties. Find an indoor place that's cool and ventilated. Using an air conditioner that cools and filters air may help. If you open the windows you may let in more polluted air. If your home isn't air-conditioned, consider going to a public place (library, shopping mall, recreation centre) that is air-conditioned.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now this is the advisory from the Govt of Canada this AM. It is NOT consistent with the severity of the conditions we are seeing. It is downplaying it. The advisory we are seeing at this exact moment is consistent with the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" scale above. It is ridiculous that we are not seeing the correct advisory; I am frankly disgusted that a region of 1.3M people is not getting the correct and more serious advisory this AM.

Alerts for: City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park

Statements

4:33 AM MDT Saturday 18 August 2018
Special air quality statement in effect for:
  • City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
Smoke from forest fires in British Columbia continues to stream into most of Alberta resulting in locally poor air quality and reducing visibility.

AQHI values around and to the west of the Capital Region are at 10 or higher. Overnight plume of very dense smoke moved into the region, giving very low visibilities with some of the worst air quality that had been seen in the province this summer. Outdoor activities are strongly discouraged for most of today with some improvement likely later this afternoon and evening for areas around the Capital region and northward.

During a wildfire, smoke conditions can change quickly over short distances and can vary considerably hour-by-hour.
Individuals may experience symptoms such as increased coughing, throat irritation, headaches or shortness of breath. Children, seniors, and those with cardiovascular or lung disease, such as asthma, are especially at risk.

People with lung diseases, such as asthma and COPD, can be particularly sensitive to air pollution. They will generally experience more serious health effects at lower levels. Pollution can aggravate their diseases, leading to increased medication use, doctor and emergency room visits, and hospital visits.

Stay inside if you have breathing difficulties. Find an indoor place that's cool and ventilated. Using an air conditioner that cools and filters air may help. If you open the windows you may let in more polluted air. If your home isn't air-conditioned, consider going to a public place (library, shopping mall, recreation centre) that is air-conditioned.

Now contrast that advisory with the one we are supposed to be seeing right now as per the bolded below;

• "Good" AQI is 0 to 50. Air quality is considered satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
  • "Moderate" AQI is 51 to 100. Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people. For example, people who are unusually sensitive to ozone may experience respiratory symptoms.
  • "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" AQI is 101 to 150. Although general public is not likely to be affected at this AQI range, people with lung disease, older adults and children are at a greater risk from exposure to ozone, whereas persons with heart and lung disease, older adults and children are at greater risk from the presence of particles in the air.
  • "Unhealthy" AQI is 151 to 200. Everyone may begin to experience some adverse health effects, and members of the sensitive groups may experience more serious effects.
  • "Very Unhealthy" AQI is 201 to 300. This would trigger a health alert signifying that everyone may experience more serious health effects.
  • "Hazardous" AQI greater than 300. This would trigger a health warnings of emergency conditions. The entire population is more likely to be affected.
Note that Edmonton East and ST. Albert both exceeded 300 on the scale at 4am this morning. No accurate advisory from Environment Canada occurred reflecting that. The advisory was still reflecting the 101-15o range even though air quality was twice as bad and in the Hazardous range.

Last edited:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
They show it as the highest risk on Env Canada, but that its supposed to improve all weekend.

Date / Time
( MDT )
Value
18 August 2018
11:0010 - High Risk
12:0010 - High Risk
13:009 - High Risk
14:009 - High Risk
15:008 - High Risk
16:007 - High Risk
17:007 - High Risk
18:006 - Moderate Risk
19:006 - Moderate Risk
20:005 - Moderate Risk
21:005 - Moderate Risk
22:005 - Moderate Risk
23:005 - Moderate Risk
19 August 2018
00:005 - Moderate Risk
01:005 - Moderate Risk
02:005 - Moderate Risk
03:005 - Moderate Risk
04:004 - Moderate Risk
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Theres this weird beautiful hue to the sky, it almost looks blue...what is this bright light I'm seeing outside..;)

jk aside I wonder at what smoke accumulation that photosynthesis slows down or stops. I was pondering what amount would result in a nuclear winter type short term scenario. Just because if curiosity what amounts of particulate were found around Mt St Helens etc. I remember the skies tasting kind of chalky back then. You could smell the ash here, thousand miles away, but it wasn't as dark as the smoke has been here. That was 1980 and the previous worst air quality I witnessed here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was living in Saskatchewan when Mt. St. Helens erupted. I remember waking up to inches of ash on the cars some mornings. It really is amazing how some events can have such an impact so far away from where they occur.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Now contrast that advisory with the one we are supposed to be seeing right now as per the bolded below;

• "Good" AQI is 0 to 50. Air quality is considered satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.
  • "Moderate" AQI is 51 to 100. Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people. For example, people who are unusually sensitive to ozone may experience respiratory symptoms.
  • "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" AQI is 101 to 150. Although general public is not likely to be affected at this AQI range, people with lung disease, older adults and children are at a greater risk from exposure to ozone, whereas persons with heart and lung disease, older adults and children are at greater risk from the presence of particles in the air.
  • "Unhealthy" AQI is 151 to 200. Everyone may begin to experience some adverse health effects, and members of the sensitive groups may experience more serious effects.
  • "Very Unhealthy" AQI is 201 to 300. This would trigger a health alert signifying that everyone may experience more serious health effects.
  • "Hazardous" AQI greater than 300. This would trigger a health warnings of emergency conditions. The entire population is more likely to be affected.
Note that Edmonton East and ST. Albert both exceeded 300 on the scale at 4am this morning. No accurate advisory from Environment Canada occurred reflecting that. The advisory was still reflecting the 101-15o range even though air quality was twice as bad and in the Hazardous range.

Reminds me of this:

NSFW language, warning lol.

Reactions: Del Preston

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The amount of smoke in eastern sask is even crazy. Had to turn the lights on in the house by 4pm as it was getting darker and darker. Amazing how far it goes. I wonder where it ends.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’ve been on a Gordon Ramsay binge watch run lately. Somehow I picture @Drivesaitl as a Canadian version of Ramsay. ;)

(That’s actually a compliment; I like Ramsay)
heh, I can't stand Gordon Ramsay. He's crusty even by my standards. I like the Galloping Gourmet. That's one for the ages. Oh, and Wok with Yan. The older crowd here know those two. I learned to cook from people like that.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
heh, I can't stand Gordon Ramsay. He's crusty even by my standards. I like the Galloping Gourmet. That's one for the ages. Oh, and Wok with Yan. The older crowd here know those two. I learned to cook from people like that.

He’s actually much more reserved when he isn’t dealing with supposed trained chefs who can’t cook properly.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
James Barber and Martin Yan were good times. Teasing me with dishes I would never make while hungry AF straight after school every day. Lol.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Blows my mind that this is just the way things are going to be going forward (actually much worse than this). End of the world coming guys. Anyway, it's been a slice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad