OT: 2018 Weather Thread

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Grey Nuns is 35 minutes

U of A is worse at 3 hours

Emergency Department Wait Times | Alberta Health Services

Have you been to emergency wards in Edmonton? I have NEVER in my life received care in less than 2-3hrs at Grey Nuns. Those numbers are facility maintained and not independently cross referenced.

Thanks for citing. I wonder about those numbers.

if these are accurate they must have extra staff on. Would be good if these numbers are actually legit.

Just so you know anytime we have checked those numbers and then gone in theres been no reflection on the actual wait times. Wife had to go to emergency a month ago for gastric appendicitis potential concerns. Wait times were quoted as an hour. She waited 3hrs and was not finished testing until 10hrs. The place was crammed, and the average wait times people were talking about were several hours. her condition was actually considered priority

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
You old timers need to invest in an a/c unit and home air purifier if you're having troubles breathing inside.

I have one of those home purifiers. Mine doesn't work very well or do what it says. The advisories are saying NOT to use air conditioners and most are not effective with fine particular matter.

I got the hepafilter air purifier on as we speak. thanks for reminding me that it does much of nothing. heh;) FWIW.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
I have one of those home purifiers. Mine doesn't work very well or do what it says. The advisories are saying NOT to use air conditioners and most are not effective with fine particular matter.

I got the hepafilter air purifier on as we speak. thanks for reminding me that it does much of nothing. heh;) FWIW.

A hepafilter should be pretty effective but I guess only for a small room. I've been using this one for the past couple years and it's been great for me.

https://www.staples.ca/en/Asept-Air...er/product_579692_1-CA_1_20001?akamai-feo=off

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
A hepafilter should be pretty effective but I guess only for a small room. I've been using this one for the past couple years and it's been great for me.

https://www.staples.ca/en/Asept-Air...er/product_579692_1-CA_1_20001?akamai-feo=off

Thanks. The one I have the filters cost couple hundred bucks for microfilter, charcoal filter etc. Which unless one is rich almost precludes its use.

what are the operational costs of yours if you have any time to break it down.

Would it work in a house at all, portable at all?

you could sell this thang this week. ;)

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Thanks. The one I have the filters cost couple hundred bucks for microfilter, charcoal filter etc. Which unless one is rich almost precludes its use.

what are the operational costs of yours if you have any time to break it down.

Would it work in a house at all, portable at all?

you could sell this thang this week. ;)

Don't know about power draw costs, pre-filter is washable, replacing the two filters and lamps is around $70 annually. I don't think one is enough for a whole house, easy to move around though. I like how it has an auto function that ramps ups it's intake if it detects a higher amount of particulates in the air, good for when I'm cooking.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Fine particulate matter reading is down from 209 to 156 at Edmonton East or Strathcona stations. pretty considerable drop. Either the Equipment in Bon Accord not working or they are being spared the worst. They are down to 90 and a 7 air quality advisory. Go Bon Accord. Or should I go to Bon Accord...jk

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
I assume they are trying to fight the fires with water drops from planes/helicopters? Is everything just super dry in BC or is it windy as well?

Drivesaitl had the long version, here's the short(er) version

Dry as f***, basically no rain since the spring. When a storm does roll through the lightning starts fires but the water isn't enough to do anything, any windstorm leads to rapid expansion. For example a thunderstorm came through the area I'm in now on Saturday and started something like 50 new fires. The drive from AB to here on Sunday was something out of a movie, middle of the afternoon and it was like driving a half hour after sunset and any low spots the smoke was like fog.

They fight them with water drops, men on the ground and heavy equipment but there's more fires than resources so choices have to be made. An example of that is a 5188ha fire burning near Creston that is 2km from Hwy 3 (main highway) and their main focus is keeping the highway open and keeping it from jumping.

Check this link out for the current situation, I have about 10 relatively small fires burning within 20km.

Story Map Series

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
So much smoke even in Eastern Sask. Just a yellow haze at Nipawin, can't really even tell whether the sun is down now.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
This kind of sucks. 90% of this smoke is coming from BC but only 2 places in all of BC today had smoke as bad as most of Alberta had today.

Air Quality Health Index - Current Air Monitoring Data Map - BC Air Quality - Province of British Columbia

Not sure why, but that kind of annoys me.

Not only is there all this smoke but every meteorological phenomenon including inverstion, pressure system, limited breeze and no storms is keeping this all on the ground. So that crazily the air quality is far worse here than where these fires are coming from.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
This kind of sucks. 90% of this smoke is coming from BC but only 2 places in all of BC today had smoke as bad as most of Alberta had today.

Air Quality Health Index - Current Air Monitoring Data Map - BC Air Quality - Province of British Columbia

Not only is there all this smoke but every meteorological phenomenon including inverstion, pressure system, limited breeze and no storms is keeping this all on the ground. So that crazily the air quality is far worse here than where these fires are coming from.
Resource sharing?

It seems like this very same thing was happening last year too but think BC had it worse. Went to BC and Kamloops was so bad we kept moving. Kelowna was slightly better.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

It's like sitting on the wrong side of the campfire

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Resource sharing?

It seems like this very same thing was happening last year too but think BC had it worse. Went to BC and Kamloops was so bad we kept moving. Kelowna was slightly better.

I stayed in Kamloops once. Motel. 40C outside. Worst night of my life. We were buying blocks of ice just to try to cool down and get some sleep. Not sure how anybody could live there.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I stayed in Kamloops once. Motel. 40C outside. Worst night of my life. We were buying blocks of ice just to try to cool down and get some sleep. Not sure how anybody could live there.

You were the only one not sawing logs there.

Sorry, old sawmill joke. ;)

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I left my window in my bedroom open the entire day so now there is some smoke in the house .

The smoke isn't really bothering me that much though.

Chippy11

We have a Hulk
Jun 2, 2015
Fire here, flood there, drunk wasp attacking Brtis. Kinda feel like the end is getting closer and closer..

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Air quality has swung again from 4 early today to 7. Not nearly as bad as yesterday but still hazy grey skies. Particulate matter for East Edmonton this AM still 87, still twice as bad as it was on Tuesday but a lot better than the 209 fine particulate matter recording yesterday which was just insane.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

I'm in Winnipeg and the smoked rolled in here again last night and the sky has been yellow / orange all day. It just goes to show how much BC really blows

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Things are not improving in BC. Wonder when we get the next bad blast of smoke.

5:15 PM in Prince George
Dk18IdYVAAAnQG8.jpg

Dk0Gi7vVsAEDuU0.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->