World Cup: 2018 WC Qualifiers Part II

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I don't agree with this narrative either. Serie A has quickly adopted more entertaining and offensive tactics, as have new Italian managers. Hard to argue the problem goes beyond Ventura.

Im not talking about Serie A. Im talking about the national team. As long as I can remember the tactics have had a far more defensive approach than any other country with their capacity. This isnt a new thing with Ventura. The list of coaches that practice the same kind of playing style is endless. Trappatoni being the worst imo.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Sure we're weak but anything can happen in football and that's the magic of it. Now it's up to us to take advantage of that chance and if we win it's cause we worked hard and deserved it.

Once the cup gets expanded and we're basically given a spot, then I'll start complaining about weak teams making it.

In their last WC appearance New Zealand didn't lose a game yet failed to advance, the only time in tournament history that ever happened.
Fun fact Italy was the other team in our group that failed to advance.

Reactions: sabremike

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Despite qualifying for the WC today, the future of Ange Postecoglu is in doubt and the decision will be made in the next few days. If he goes, he will be the third manager to leave his post despite qualifying for the tournament (Saudi Arabia and Serbia sacked their managers)

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Italy have routinely surpassed more talented teams all throughout their history because of their tactical superiority, so that's bull****. We saw this as recently as 2016 ffs.

Also nothing against New Zealand but hope Peru wins tonight, there's enough crap teams in the World Cup.

From a Danish point of view, I hope NZ wins tonight. It will put us among the second seeded teams. If Peru wins, we are in the third layer.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The teams aren't the best, but the tough part is playing on pitches that are unplayable in third world countries with crowds throwing bottles, batteries, bags filled with urine and anything else they can get their hands on at you.

Oh goodness are the shitty pitches too shitty for witty baby's foosties. Maybe if they didn't want to play third world countries they shouldn't have colonised one

Reactions: Deficient Mode

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Oh goodness are the ****ty pitches too ****ty for witty baby's foosties. Maybe if they didn't want to play third world countries they shouldn't have colonised one
Literally nothing in this post makes any sense. If the third world hadn't been colonized nobody would have to play them in international soccer? I don't even know what to say.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Literally nothing in this post makes any sense. If the third world hadn't been colonized nobody would have to play them in international soccer? I don't even know what to say.

They're only "third world" in relation to and on account of the colonizers in the first place.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Peru finally break through before the half hour mark, they got Reid isolated in the box and a pass found Farfan who fired into the top of the net. They caught New Zealand with fewer numbers back and took advantage

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is a really weird year concerning the World Cup. I've been going through some of teams and never in my mind did I ever think that Italy, Netherlands, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Chile, Ghana, and Cote d'Ivoire would miss the World Cup, let alone in the same year.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Super excited for this tournament as usual. Here's how I see the contenders breaking down:

Tier 1: Germany, France, Brazil, Spain, Argentina

Tier 2: Belgium, Portugal, Colombia, Uruguay, Poland, England

Don't see anyone else as much of a threat - maybe Croatia or Mexico.

Weird to have a tournament without teams like Italy, Netherlands or Chile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad