OT: 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
That Kamara miss in the first minute....

My reaction:
incredulous.gif

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Ridiculous decision by the ref to caution Reyna there, didn't touch him and he goes down because the ball was given away and the ref gives the foul?

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I shudder to think what the Caps defence is going to be like when Waston goes to the World Cup.... Nothing like an own goal after a decent start.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Something tells me this ref doesn't want this game to be about him. Although he was wrong to give Reyna a card early on, he gave him a reprieve on a tackle that would (and should have gotten a yellow) and Kamara caught someone with his studs up and could have seen a straight red.

If this was Toledo or Elfrath, the Caps would be down to 10 at least.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yup, if it was boring but they were winning then fine, but both combined is completely unacceptable. Lennarduzzi needs to be long gone too.
Until we get a proper grass field, are we ever going to attract top talent? Plu, our ownership is not willing to pay for a top end player anyway.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Pretty wide open game against Colorado tonight... the Caps have been wasteful at times but still are up 2-1 with 30 minutes to go.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Robinson definitely needs to go, his style is completely outdated and neutralizes the talents of a lot of our players. We may never be able to attract top end talent like Toronto, Atlanta, New York etc. But we have some good attacking players who can make a difference if given the opportunity.

Reactions: clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Robinson definitely needs to go, his style is completely outdated and neutralizes the talents of a lot of our players. We may never be able to attract top end talent like Toronto, Atlanta, New York etc. But we have some good attacking players who can make a difference if given the opportunity.
No kidding. Feel like I'm in the 1990s watching an EPL relegation side.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Ridiculous decision by the ref to caution Reyna there, didn't touch him and he goes down because the ball was given away and the ref gives the foul?
Sure, but that is one of the big problems with soccer! The constant fakery has, unfortunately, become part of the game and players feel they have to fake an injury on even the mildest contact. As a referee, it becomes pretty well impossible to determine whether there was an actual foul or not, with the player writhing away on the ground. I would not like to be an official in this game!

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

Caps are never going to attract top talent for two reasons. The first is that ownership will never put up the cash for one of them, Kamara is our top earning but he's number 40 in the MLS for payroll with 23 teams in the league. The second is the turf field, stars prefer to be playing on grass, we would need to make the change at BC Place for that to be of interest.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel like it's a don't know what you've got til it's gone thing with Robinson, not unlike all the complaining about AV during his last couple years here.

Yeah, we don't play the most attractive style. But this is the cheapest team in MLS and to me he's done an excellent job with that he's been given to work with. Nearly won the conference last year, competitive and in the playoffs again this year.

With how little we spend and how hard it is to attract players to play on carpet, things could go very wrong very quickly with the wrong manager.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Credit for the Caps really having opened up their style the last few games too (and yeah, not a lot of wins came from it, before they were racking up losses, so it's been better). It took too long to adjust, but they're finally doing it. I know Colorado is the worst team in the league, but in that last game the Whitecaps actually had genuine spells of time looking competent on the ball.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
There are times in those 4 straight ties that the Whitecaps had the lead but costly player mistakes have cost the team points. I wouldn't put those results against the coach. We prob should have won at least 2 of those 4 tied games before the win against Colorado.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I am just going to keep posting Joel Campbell and Bryan Ruiz' names as transfer targets until somebody signs them on free transfers. Bloody painful being a fan of a team with cheap owners. No chance of ever having success. Two years into season's tickets....I think I am already sick of ownership and ready to cancel.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
I am just going to keep posting Joel Campbell and Bryan Ruiz' names as transfer targets until somebody signs them on free transfers. Bloody painful being a fan of a team with cheap owners. No chance of ever having success. Two years into season's tickets....I think I am already sick of ownership and ready to cancel.

Good luck with Campbell. Would cost at least 5+ mil and ownership would never ever dish out that much.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I feel like it's a don't know what you've got til it's gone thing with Robinson, not unlike all the complaining about AV during his last couple years here.

Yeah, we don't play the most attractive style. But this is the cheapest team in MLS and to me he's done an excellent job with that he's been given to work with. Nearly won the conference last year, competitive and in the playoffs again this year.

With how little we spend and how hard it is to attract players to play on carpet, things could go very wrong very quickly with the wrong manager.

I tend to agree with this.

Like, the team actually had a pretty decent season last year, and has its head above water again this season.

The team doesn't spend any money- Robinson can only do so much.

There are times when I feel Robinson is a bit negative in his tactics, and tends to rely on the counter too often, but it's not like the Whitecaps have a team full of stars that are going to be able to dominate possession every week.

Off topic, but I am curious to see how the market might react to the new Canadian Premier League, assuming a team is eventually put in the Lower Mainland. It might not have the star-power of MLS, but I wonder if it might offer a bit more of an "authentic" football experience to some of the soccer die-hards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->