OT: 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
This game shows you the lack of depth this team has with a few injuries. Not the end of the world, but a big wake up call after three listless games where they scored 1 and conceded 10. In these games the back line has looked terrible. The midfield has given the ball away far too often and cant string a few passes together. Having one striker is pointless with a midfield like this as they are virtually on an island. They are so disjointed and poorly prepared for games at times. I honestly think it is time for a fresh face at the helm and more money invested in getting good players.

I think this was the worst loss in team history if I am not mistaken. We can debate the red cards until we are red in the face. However, the game was over at that point. No chance the team comes back against SKC being down by three. They play the next five of eight at home. That could be the season. They need to win four of those games.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I don't know if having a guy like Waston be the leader of your team is a good call. He loses his cool way too often and is seemingly in danger of getting a red card every game. Even if the dude dove, it was his fault for diving in unnecessarily up there and then allowing then escalating the situation and getting everyone out of control.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
What a f***ing stupid decision by Techera to take his jersey off after scoring the penalty when on a yellow. Gets sent off for the stupidest reason and now the Caps have to play with 10 men for 15 minutes.

Reactions: jeromemorrow

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
They have no idea how to play attacking football, no idea how to break down a defence... all they can do is long runs, long balls and maybe set pieces (though not much luck this season). You can't counter a 10man side that's hanging back so how do you break it down?

Robbo has no clue...

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
They have no idea how to play attacking football, no idea how to break down a defence... all they can do is long runs, long balls and maybe set pieces (though not much luck this season). You can't counter a 10man side that's hanging back so how do you break it down?

Robbo has no clue...

While I expect Robinson to get most of the blame, there isn't anyone in the team that can play in the defensive zone but also have that passing ability to play through the middle and that's on the owners.

The defensive line is also having trouble with the left side of defense. Aja is not a good replacement for Parker and de Jong is not a week-in, week-out player. He's good every 1 in 4 games. Levis has potential but he's still young and recovering.

But you're completely right. Games where the Caps were against 10 men or playing against a team where the Caps have the majority of the possession, they've sucked.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
I’ve really lost interest way quickly this season

A bonafide DP from Europe in June is all that might make me interested again

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Called it. The product is boring and stale and nothing will change for the forseeable future. The owners are not in it to win and will never invest in bettering the product. Once they sell Davies...I will probably huck out any Whitecaps gear I have.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Called it. The product is boring and stale and nothing will change for the forseeable future. The owners are not in it to win and will never invest in bettering the product. Once they sell Davies...I will probably huck out any Whitecaps gear I have.

It all started when Camilo left in 2014 because the Whitecaps were trying to be cheap. They wanted him to take the one-year extension instead of renegotiating a new contract and making him a DP. It showed the lack of commitment to putting in place a product that would cater to the market. He has scored 51 goals in a better league, which means that he would still be lighting things up in the MLS. Since then, there has a been a revolving door up front with little to no consistency from year-to-year.

This year, the team looks even worse than last season . There is less creativity up front. As well, they cant even string together a few passes in a row, which indicates that we have a mid field that is awful, especially when Juarez is playing. Our D are also prone to many gaffs, Waston included and, in general, there is a marked lack of discipline on the team.

I was called by the Whitecaps asking if I wanted season tickets. I refused because of the inability of the coaches and management to field a good product. I used to go to many games. Now, I just watch from home. The team is so predictable and set up to play a very boring brand of soccer. I expected far more after 8 years in this league.

I hope the Southsiders continue their protest. It is the right time for the Lenarduzzi's to be removed from management positions. Same goes for Robinson and the rest of upper management.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It really reminds me of how the Vancouver Grizzlies missed the opportunity in the late '90s to captivate the market when the Canucks were terrible... and they had even less ability to do it on their own. The Whitecaps really could gain so much more of the spotlight while the Canucks are rebuilding retooling whatever-the-hell-it-is-they-think-they're-doing.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
The amount of player turnovers throughout the years also hurt the Whitecaps, they just can't seem to play with chemistry at times.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The amount of player turnovers throughout the years also hurt the Whitecaps, they just can't seem to play with chemistry at times.
That's pretty common across all MLS teams, though (the fans are even more aggressive than they are on here about turfing every player who isn't a star following each season). It comes with the territory of not being the apex league of your sport.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
That's pretty common across all MLS teams, though (the fans are even more aggressive than they are on here about turfing every player who isn't a star following each season). It comes with the territory of not being the apex league of your sport.

But as a low budget team, you'd assume you can keep certain players for longer because their salary/skillsets are within the range for playing in the MLS.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
The Whitecaps have no identity when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.. the game @ MIN was evident of that when MIN went down to 10 man...

It's just more evident this year because the backend looks unorganized as opposed to last year when Parker was around...

I do like Blondell as the big forward up front.. just need someone to link the ball between the midfield and the forwards...

Alphonse Davies is the only bright spot... well, maybe Levis as well who was solid at LB... Nerwinski is good too at RB for MLS-levels..

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I remember my source from the inside telling me the organization being really high on Teibert and Hurtado. They really thought the latter would be a prolific scorer. This was around the time WFC 2 was founded, and the organization truly believed the academy would yield immediate success...and also garner more revenue with WFC fans. Instead, WFC 2 was plagued with dismal attendance and the youth residency/academy failed to deliver (Davies and Levis aside). 4 years later, WFC 2 is now in Fresno.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
I remember my source from the inside telling me the organization being really high on Teibert and Hurtado. They really thought the latter would be a prolific scorer. This was around the time WFC 2 was founded, and the organization truly believed the academy would yield immediate success...and also garner more revenue with WFC fans. Instead, WFC 2 was plagued with dismal attendance and the youth residency/academy failed to deliver (Davies and Levis aside). 4 years later, WFC 2 is now in Fresno.

I think the Whitecaps made a mistake by making WFC2 play out in UBC. It seemed to be a poor choice, as it is just so isolated from the population. The biggest market in UBC is poor students, and WFC2 has to compete with the university teams. New West seemed to be the better choice but I seem to remember there being some resistance from the municipal government.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think the Whitecaps made a mistake by making WFC2 play out in UBC. It seemed to be a poor choice, as it is just so isolated from the population. The biggest market in UBC is poor students, and WFC2 has to compete with the university teams. New West seemed to be the better choice but I seem to remember there being some resistance from the municipal government.

I know UBC wasn't their first choice, New West was the front runner. IIRC, Swangard was their second choice, which would have been perfect, IMO, but a deal couldn't be reached either, so with the residency program being based at UBC, it made it convenient. At least for the team, not so much the fans. Town Centre Stadium in Coquitlam would have been a good fit too, they definitely would have benefited from SkyTrain last season.

On another note, is the Southsider "protest" over? Heard that after beating RSL, all was forgiven. If so, lame. You know what would have sent a message? Skipping the match. That empty corner would not have ignored. Even better if they got the RCB and Curva involved. But hey, I'm sure throwing some naughty words in their chants got the message across, lol. MLS Cup here we come.

Edit: Just looked on southsiders.ca, and yeah, the glass is half full again. They simply wanted to put the club on notice, and don't want to start a Wenger Out-like campaign. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Edit: Just looked on southsiders.ca, and yeah, the glass is half full again. They simply wanted to put the club on notice, and don't want to start a Wenger Out-like campaign. :facepalm:
There is still a ton of discontent, but their choice of tactics has nothing to do with the result against RSL (and the glass absolutely isn't "half full", there are just two or three posters who disagree with the majority sentiment). It was always a low-impact, one-off thing. They are a supporters' group after all (not auditors), and they were trying to take a measured approach. No problem with that.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
There is still a ton of discontent, but their choice of tactics has nothing to do with the result against RSL (and the glass absolutely isn't "half full", there are just two or three posters who disagree with the majority sentiment). It was always a low-impact, one-off thing. They are a supporters' group after all (not auditors), and they were trying to take a measured approach. No problem with that.
They need a good dose of how we handle things HERE with respect to the Canucks! Like this:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Barely got a point against the worst road team in the league. Team is soon losing Waston for 3-5 weeks. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->