Blue Jays GDT: 2018 v4| And we're done | Blue Jays finish season 73-89 | See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
The Home plate ump

MDQ0NTAzM2U0OCMvWVFiLWxiVHNMM1lwV2ZUUmpYRVlnWlROcDVrPS9maXQtaW4vNzYweDAvZmlsdGVyczpub191cHNjYWxlKCk6cXVhbGl0eSg4MCk6bm9fdXBzY2FsZSgpOmZvcm1hdChqcGVnKS9odHRwOi8vaW1hZ2VzLm1pYy5jb20vcHRsaXZzZGhqbGxoMWprZWM2NWt6cHpsaTB3NnRnYjR5ZjdiMzFtNnR3aTZpYmx1c254em91czF2a2NoanRlNC5naWY.gif

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Lol Buck.

"Look a the top 10 teams in MLB in wins... <names them>.... It's starting pitching."

Your top 10 MLB teams by wins, with their cumulative SP WAR ranking in parentheses:

Boston (5th)
Houston (2nd)
Yankees (6th)
Oakland (20th!)
Cubs (19th)
Milwaukee (17th)
Atlanta (12th)
Cleveland (1st)
Tampa Bay (14th)
Colorado (10th)

"It's starting pitching."

So much so that only 4 of the 10 teams at the top of the standings are in the top third of baseball in SP. And 3 of them are in the bottom half of the league in SP WAR.

Also 3rd in SP WAR is the Mets. Whoops.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Lol Buck.

"Look a the top 10 teams in MLB in wins... <names them>.... It's starting pitching."

Your top 10 MLB teams by wins, with their cumulative SP WAR ranking in parentheses:

Boston (5th)
Houston (2nd)
Yankees (6th)
Oakland (20th!)
Cubs (19th)
Milwaukee (17th)
Atlanta (12th)
Cleveland (1st)
Tampa Bay (14th)
Colorado (10th)

"It's starting pitching."

So much so that only 4 of the 10 teams at the top of the standings are in the top third of baseball in SP. And 3 of them are in the bottom half of the league in SP WAR.

Also 3rd in SP WAR is the Mets. Whoops.

But I bet you all the top teams in wins has the starting pitching with the most wins which we all know is what matters most

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I missed some of it but wasn't Buck saying the better teams have SP and then proceeds to list the teams that have the most SP wins?

I was pretty sure he was looking at the standings. But for completeness, the top 10 in wins attributed to SP (actual standings rank in parentheses):

Cleveland (7th)
Houston (2nd)
Boston (1st)
Yankees (3rd)
Atlanta (8th)
Arizona (14th)
St. Louis (13th)
Pittsburgh (17th)
Cubs (5th)
Philadelphia (15th)

It's better, but it's still kinda wonky. And it still ignores that winning requires you to do pretty much everything competently to some degree. Awesome starters don't mean crap if your team can't score or your pen melts down regularly.

Fun fact: The Rays bullpen has more wins (50) than their starters (32)

Reactions: canucksfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
But I bet you all the top teams in wins has the starting pitching with the most wins which we all know is what matters most

What about RBIs? Gotta score runs to win the game, and I need RBIs to tell who's a run producer and pay them accordingly. Like Chris Davis. Or how to pick a proper AL MVP, like JD Martinez over Mookie Betts. I mean, have you seen Mookie Betts? He doesn't even have 80 RBIs. How can you be an MVP like that?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What about RBIs? Gotta score runs to win the game, and I need RBIs to tell who's a run producer and pay them accordingly. Like Chris Davis. Or how to pick a proper AL MVP, like JD Martinez over Mookie Betts. I mean, have you seen Mookie Betts? He doesn't even have 80 RBIs. How can you be an MVP like that?

RBIs are important for sure, but you can have 5 RBIs and still have your team lose the game. As far as I can tell from extensive research, no team this season has lost the game when their starting pitcher has gotten the win. With such a huge sample size, and a 100% success rate I can definitely say that starting pitchers getting the win is by far the best way to go about winning baseball games.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
RBIs are important for sure, but you can have 5 RBIs and still have your team lose the game. As far as I can tell from extensive research, no team this season has lost the game when their starting pitcher has gotten the win. With such a huge sample size, and a 100% success rate I can definitely say that starting pitchers getting the win is by far the best way to go about winning baseball games.

It sure is.

*breathy laugh*

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Also can I bask in the delicious irony that the Orioles are wearing braille jerseys (which are really cool) that serve absolutely zero useful purpose for actual blind people because 1) the braille dots aren't raised like they need to be for real braille text and 2) it's not like they can run on the field and run their hands across the players' backs to read who they are.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Also can I bask in the delicious irony that the Orioles are wearing braille jerseys (which are really cool) that serve absolutely zero useful purpose for actual blind people because 1) the braille dots aren't raised like they need to be for real braille text and 2) it's not like they can run on the field and run their hands across the players' backs to read who they are.
Nem, how could you be so insensitive? The Orioles clearly have a visually impaired player on the team. Well, I mean that would be the only way to explain Davis’ offensive output (or lack of) this season :sarcasm:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nem, how could you be so insensitive? The Orioles clearly have a visually impaired player on the team. Well, I mean that would be the only way to explain Davis’ offensive output (or lack of) this season :sarcasm:

Clearly their manager, general manager, and owner are also visually impaired.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

well played.

Also Buck's inability to grasp the idea that Chris Davis could implode like this is baffling. Chris Davis is exactly the type of player that would implode like this.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Blue Jays: We're going to do our best to throw away this game.

Orioles: Hold my beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->