Blue Jays GDT: 2018 v4| And we're done | Blue Jays finish season 73-89 | See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Buck thinks we have 9 catching prospects with viable major league consideration?

I know he said "in the minors" but let's assume that he's Buck Martinez and actually includes Jansen and McGuire in that figure.

So...

Jansen
McGuire
Adams
Pentecost?
Kirk
Danner
Moreno
Uh.....?

I'm only at 7, already feel like I'm stretching it, and not sure who else to even consider.

9 is definitely pushing it so it's a Buck being Buck.

I doubt he went this deep but Chris Bec, Alberto Mineo and Joneivy Molina just because his last name is Molina and he is a catcher. Ryan Gold and Yormam Rodriguez are other potential names.

An argument can be made for Bec, not a good one but an argument nonetheless. The others not so much.

So in conclusion I can't see 9 either. In fact I only see 3 in Jansen, McGuire and Adams. Kirk, Danner and Moreno are nice high upside lottery tickets but far from viable major league considerations in my opinion.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
9 is definitely pushing it so it's a Buck being Buck.

I doubt he went this deep but Chris Bec, Alberto Mineo and Joneivy Molina just because his last name is Molina and he is a catcher. Ryan Gold and Yormam Rodriguez are other potential names.

An argument can be made for Bec, not a good one but an argument nonetheless. The others not so much.

So in conclusion I can't see 9 either. In fact I only see 3 in Jansen, McGuire and Adams. Kirk, Danner and Moreno are nice high upside lottery tickets but far from viable major league considerations in my opinion.

I don't think the argument for Bec is worth considering. I saw him like 6 times and he only played catcher once. And even then he wasn't all that good.

Rodriguez also spent basically the entire year away from the position, playing DH/1B

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Not sure quite what you mean by "Seen enough". If you mean enough to know what he is, then yeah. He's an OK #5. If you mean that it's clear he shouldn't be around, I disagree. He's been decent enough (and after starting out super strong and outperforming expectations, his later cold streak has pretty much left him underperforming vs his peripherals.)

I'm not expecting him to break out and anchor a rotation, but the team could certainly do worse than having him as the 5th starter next season. He strikes out an OK # of guys, doesn't walk too many and is mostly an acceptable low-end pitch-to-contact type guy whose bad ERA is in part due to some crappy BABIP luck and in part due to a tendency to have a clunker of a game every 3 or 4 starts. It's not flashy and he's not stealing you games, but it's not entirely his fault that he's had such a hard time collecting wins over the last couple months.

Thanks for the in-depth response, Nem. Personally, I don't see him as a guy that can go more than 4 innings without being shelled. Doesn't seem to have the stuff, in my eyes. But I haven't looked at his underlying stats, either...just from watching his starts.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
lol Buck sounds bitter about the 10-day DL and options and how teams can "manipulate" the roster because the Yanks have that one pitcher that's been yo-yo'd.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
lol Buck sounds bitter about the 10-day DL and options and how teams can "manipulate" the roster because the Yanks have that one pitcher that's been yo-yo'd.

That sounds downright genius compared to his rant about how he wouldn't sign Bryce Harper because he's never had 100 RBIs.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
"he wasn't thinking about spin rate. He wasn't thinking about launch angle. He was just thinking about how to pitch."

**** off with your folksy, anti-intellectual curmudgeon nonsense, Buck. Nobody said all pitchers have to think about all those things all the time when they're trying to figure themselves out as pitchers (never mind that pitchers aren't going to be thinking about launch angle to begin with because that's a hitter concern, not a pitcher's one)

That's gotta be worth a "Finish your drink" fulfillment on the drinking game.

And there goes Gibby or someone for some reason. Ump show!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
GB0q.gif

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It's almost mind boggling to think how quickly what was thought to be a very deep, strong and talented Blue Jays pitching staff became a complete dumpster fire.

All the conventional wisdom heading into this season said if the Jays were going to be a winning team, they were going to rely on their exceptional pitching.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's almost mind boggling to think how quickly what was thought to be a very deep, strong and talented Blue Jays pitching staff became a complete dumpster fire.

All the conventional wisdom heading into this season said if the Jays were going to be a winning team, they were going to rely on their exceptional pitching.

The starters, yeah. The bullpen is a little less mind-boggling simply because the very nature of bullpens is that they are incredibly fickle. Great pen arms implode out of nowhere and nobodies and also-rans emerge to become stabilizers and there's very little you can do to predict who'll be who except trust that if you lay in enough talent things will be fine.

Today is an example of the fickle pen costing the team after a very nice start from Reid-Foley.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The starters, yeah. The bullpen is a little less mind-boggling simply because the very nature of bullpens is that they are incredibly fickle. Great pen arms implode out of nowhere and nobodies and also-rans emerge to become stabilizers and there's very little you can do to predict who'll be who except trust that if you lay in enough talent things will be fine.

Today is an example of the fickle pen costing the team after a very nice start from Reid-Foley.

They also traded away a bunch of key relievers. That usually hurts the bullpen a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->