2018-19 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The Hughes paper for the playoffs (assuming the Comets make it) would be a no brainer. However, remember back when Hutton could have been papered in 15-16 and the Canucks were out of the playoffs? The only guys papered down were Gaunce and Kenins. Kenins went home. Hutton should have been papered, but wasn't. They said he had already played a full season and needed to rest and many posters argued he shouldn't go down because he was an NHL player now. Most team send down their young, first year players to get the playoff experience. Not sure how Benning would handle Pettersson, Hughes, and even Gaudette if he spends the majority of the season in Vancouver. Toronto papered it's rookies, but the best one went to his country's World Cup team.

That's a bridge too far right now anyways. They haven't even played a game yet. LOL

Ben Hutton played 75 games in the NHL that season and as such established himself as an NHLer. Expecting that player to be "papered down" and sent to the AHL when the season is over is an unrealistic expectation based purely on selfish reasons (ie, being a fan of Utica).

None of the players Toronto papered played 75 games or were NHL players the entire season, or even really close. Not the same situation.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
The Comets signed goalie Ivan Kulbakov.

Any word on an ECHL affiliate for next season? Joel Martin retired today, so the K-wings starter position is open for the first time in a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ben Hutton played 75 games in the NHL that season and as such established himself as an NHLer. Expecting that player to be "papered down" and sent to the AHL when the season is over is an unrealistic expectation based purely on selfish reasons (ie, being a fan of Utica).

None of the players Toronto papered played 75 games or were NHL players the entire season, or even really close. Not the same situation.

Furthermore, Hutton played for Team Canada at the World Championships. Bad Goalie constantly spews this same crap.

Reactions: Nick Lang

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Furthermore, Hutton played for Team Canada at the World Championships. Bad Goalie constantly spews this same crap.

I tend to agree that you can't expect a kid that spend his entire rookie season in the NHL to be papered down to the AHL for the playoffs just because he is AHL eligible but at the same time the idea of doing so is not without precedent.

During the 2016 AHL playoffs which is the same year that BG referenced Ben Hutton being AHL eligible the NJ Devils sent Damon Severson to Albany for the final 3 games of the season and for the playoffs. Albany just happened to be the Comets first round opponent and Severson was a big reason why Albany beat the Comets 3 games to 1. Severson played 72 games with New Jersey that season and just 3 in the AHL. To drive the point even more Damon Severson wasn't even a rookie that season as the year before he played in 54 NHL games and zero AHL games (Albany failed to make the playoffs the year before so he wasn't papered down).

This season the exact same scenario occurred with Haydn Fleury a first round 7th overall draft pick. Fleury played 67 NHL games this season with Carolina but was still papered down to Charlotte where he played in the final 3 AHL games after the Canes season ended and then played in the playoffs.

These are two examples that I remember off the top of my head. There are likely others but I didn't bother to research them. Like I said I think it is a stretch to think a NHL team would send an established NHL player down to the AHL for the playoffs but you can't say that it never happens either.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
in the case of hutton, there was also the situation the year before where hutton signed early, went to the ahl, and then got repeatedly healthy scratched by green never even dressing for a playoff game.

maybe green did not want him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
in the case of hutton, there was also the situation the year before where hutton signed early, went to the ahl, and then got repeatedly healthy scratched by green never even dressing for a playoff game.

maybe green did not want him.
How many times does it have to repeated....the reason the Comets sent Hutton home after he joined them from the University of Maine in that first season is that he's wasn't in shape. And the fact we're still having this conversation two seasons later isn't a positive sign. This is a big summer for Hutton....hopefully he figures it out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
These are two examples that I remember off the top of my head. There are likely others but I didn't bother to research them. Like I said I think it is a stretch to think a NHL team would send an established NHL player down to the AHL for the playoffs but you can't say that it never happens either.

Good post. But I think an important consideration, as I mentioned, is that Hutton was in the running to play for Team Canada at the World Championships and was in fact selected to play on that team. Hutton was named on April 12 that year. Pretty sure that wasn't a last minute decision to have Hutton in the running.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Okay... ECHL signing?

Yep.

The Canucks have a plethora of wingers at both the NHL and AHL levels and are short of centers who have shown an ability to distribute the puck, again at both levels. The management team signs a pair of 4th line NHL grinders who are centers as free agents, then signs a bunch of depth guys and for centers give the Comets the likes of Darcy and Hamilton.

With more wingers at the AHL level than can be included in the lineup and apparently still short one top-6 AHL center, a problem now in four consecutive offseasons, Ryan Johnson signs an ECHL right winger for whom there will be no space in Utica until the worst of the injury bug hits. (Yes, the Canucks also replaced one AHL/NHL center with another.)

Instead of being accused of doing nothing this offseason, Johnson will be accused of being blind to what the team he is GM of needs both to win and the promising group of young wingers he is in charge of in his other hat of Canucks' player development manager need to better develop a promising group of young wingers.

For the record, I have nothing against Kyle Thomas or any of the other signings the Comets have made this offseason and wouldn't complain about them if there was any reason to think the Comets would be provided with another playmaking center.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yep.

The Canucks have a plethora of wingers at both the NHL and AHL levels and are short of centers who have shown an ability to distribute the puck, again at both levels. The management team signs a pair of 4th line NHL grinders who are centers as free agents, then signs a bunch of depth guys and for centers give the Comets the likes of Darcy and Hamilton.

With more wingers at the AHL level than can be included in the lineup and apparently still short one top-6 AHL center, a problem now in four consecutive offseasons, Ryan Johnson signs an ECHL right winger for whom there will be no space in Utica until the worst of the injury bug hits. (Yes, the Canucks also replaced one AHL/NHL center with another.)

Instead of being accused of doing nothing this offseason, Johnson will be accused of being blind to what the team he is GM of needs both to win and the promising group of young wingers he is in charge of in his other hat of Canucks' player development manager need to better develop a promising group of young wingers.

For the record, I have nothing against Kyle Thomas or any of the other signings the Comets have made this offseason and wouldn't complain about them if there was any reason to think the Comets would be provided with another playmaking center.

Kyle Thomas (RW) is 28 and was never drafted. He is entering his 5th yr of professional hockey. In his previous 4 seasons he has played a total of 19 AHL games and has accumulated 2G/2A/4Pts.

Brendan Bradley (LW/C) is 25 and was never drafted. He is entering his 4th yr of pro hockey. In his previous 3 pro seasons he has played 2 AHL games and got 0Pts.

Reid Gardiner( RW) is 22 and was never drafted. He is entering his 3rd yr of pro hockey after signing with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton as a free agent. They did not re-sign him. He has played 33 AHL games and has amassed 4G/5A/9Pts. that's better than the first 2, but not exactly begging for AHL ice time.

Jagger Dirk (D) is 25 and was never drafted. After his jr eligibility ran out he enrolled in St. Francis Xavier Univ. (not exactly NCAA level college hockey). Afetr his last college season ended last yr, he was signed to an ATO by AHL Binghamton and played 7 games and ended up with 1A. He has an inside connection with Vancouver and like Negrin that got him a hitch with Utica. After 4 seasons of AHL duty with 4 AHL teams and finally a stint in ECHL Kalamazoo he became a reserve D-man for the Comets. Over a 4-yr span he played in 131 games and put up 20 pts and finished with a +/- of 0. At 25 Jagger better make some huge impression if he has any hope of even getting a single game above the ECHL Kalamazoo Wings this season.

Ivan Kulbakov (G) is 21 and was never drafted. He is entering his 2nd season of pro hockey,after playing one yr of Jr hockey in the USHL. he played 30 pro game last season, 22 in ECHL Quad City (3.63/.902) and 8 games with AHL Cleveland (3.99/.861). Not exactly earth shattering numbers. It appears Michael Garteig is out and a much younger player has moved in to take his spot as the third Comets Goalie who will play in the Zoo until needed.

Vincent Arseneau (LW/RW) is 26 and was never drafted. He is entering his 6th pro season, 147 ECHL GP with 4 different teams and 51 AHL GP with 4 teams. 20 were played with utica last season where he picked up 1G/1A and 49 PIM. He is the best player on this list as of today. He is better known for playing with his fist than his hands. He was an effective checker and helped keep the Comets afloat in the playoff race. He was not a detriment, but would not be tghe least bit surprised f he were the last reserve kept in Utica nor if he was shipped out to play in the ECHL before the season begins.

That's 6 payers on AHL contracts I would expect to open the season in the ECHL and be considered for call-up duty based on their performances down there. The edge probably goes to Arseneau at the moment.

The other players signed to AHL contracts are Tanner MacMaster, Carter Bancks, Cameron Darcy, Wacey Hamilton, Jaime Sifers, and Dylan Blujus. I believe all of these players will make the team.
MacMaser should be in the top 12.
Darcy will center one of the 4 game night lines.
Blujus was in the top defensive pairing by the season's end and would be the most veteran D-man in the top 6 if Juolevi is sent down.

Sautner/Blujus
McEneny/Chatfield
Juolevi/Brisebois - no Juolevi? - Brisebois/Sifers (Brisebois played both sides last season)*

*above duos are not arranged as 1-3 pairings.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Yep.

They are adding depth to the ECHL team so they won’t have to rely on PTOs next year. Hardly news. Yes, they need another center but there is nothing wrong with depth signings

Reactions: Red

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems apparent the Comets and Canucks have learned some hard lessons from last season and are taking a totally different tack at Utica ..They're signing guys to AHL contracts and then likely stashing them in the ECHL. That way, when the inevitable injuries and call-ups strike, they've got a pool of players they can call upon without having to go the PTO route. Interesting strategy if it works.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
When I first heard this on TV this evening, I thought I heard Tambelini. I said that's a start, but he isn't a top rated AHL play maker either. However he is a center with 3 seasons of AHL experience and an okay .47 PPG.

Then I looked it up and was it was Anselmini, a 25-yr old LD-man with very little AHL experience having only played 17 games with 2 AHL teams in his 2 pro seasons. he has racked a whopping 3 Assists. Like most ECHL guys his numbers down there are much better with 35Pt/79GP.

I agree that the Comets are loading up on guys that will be sent to the ECHL, however if you do this kind of thing you should be zeroing in on the best the league has to offer. Most do not have AHL contracts and will sign with any AHL team that gives them an offer. They are trying top move up the pro ranks from the ECHL to the AHL much in the same way AHL players aspire to the NHL. The guys they have signed are not close to the ECHL's best. Cherniwchan is still out there and he notched 8 goals and 10 points for the Comets in 39 PTO games last season. You know what you'd have in him. Instead Arseneau got a contract and he only scored 2 points in his 20 GP. Arseneau has only played 51 AHL games whereas Chernie has played 173.

Anselmini, like the rest of the new AHL signed players was not drafted. He is another who will be on his way to the ECHL. It does make me wonder if the Comets are going to be able to send all of these guys to the Zoo or if they are going to scatter them throughout the ECHL. I count as many as 7 of the new signatures on their way down. Depending upon what else we see happen it could even be more.

Hensick is still unsigned. Can you read Pat and Ryan?

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Does anyone know what's happening with Evan Mceneny? He was injured last year but I don't recall hearing an update about his recovery. Possible I just missed it. Is he expected to be at Canucks camp? Or is joining the Comets midway through the season? Anyone know?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Does anyone know what's happening with Evan Mceneny? He was injured last year but I don't recall hearing an update about his recovery. Possible I just missed it. Is he expected to be at Canucks camp? Or is joining the Comets midway through the season? Anyone know?

On December 4, 2017, shortly after the surgery, it was reported he'd be out at least six months. I've heard nothing since then, but if all is going to schedule he'll have been skating by now and should be ready for camp.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

The last I heard was a December 4/2017 report that stated his surgery went very well and all reports point3ed to his being ready to go at the 2018 training camp.

If anyone has found anything further we would appreciate it here as well, but the fact that the Comets still only have 5 AHL ready D-men without him does point to his being available to start the season. They better get a couple more solid AHL level defenders anyways. Even with McEneny and possibly Juolevi they do not have enough defenders to carry them. Evan makes 6 and I can't believe he can go all out, top minutes night after night without some breaks along the way until that leg can take the full punishment of AHL hockey.

Olli would make 7. He gets called up and the Comets have squat remaining. Dirk and Anselmini are not AHL defenders that can take on a regular role. They are lucky if they can tread water in a game here or there. Look for them both to be in the ECHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
They better get a couple more solid AHL level defenders anyways. Even with McEneny and possibly Juolevi they do not have enough defenders to carry them. Evan makes 6 and I can't believe he can go all out, top minutes night after night without some breaks along the way until that leg can take the full punishment of AHL hockey.

Olli would make 7. He gets called up and the Comets have squat remaining. Dirk and Anselmini are not AHL defenders that can take on a regular role. They are lucky if they can tread water in a game here or there. Look for them both to be in the ECHL.

If Hughes returns to college I can see them bringing in a fringe NHL Dman type.

I think Dirk will stick with the Comets.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
If Hughes returns to college I can see them bringing in a fringe NHL Dman type.

I think Dirk will stick with the Comets.

I think you might be onto something here. With Dirk's strong alumni connections I wonder how easy it's going to be for Cull to ship Jagger out to Kalamazoo. It may well turn out that Jagger Dirk is not moveable to Kalamazoo and winds up travelling with the Comets all year as a black ace. Without a doubt this will be a side story worth keeping an eye on when camp rolls around.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
John Negrin was the other Comet with inside connections making him a Comet whether or not he belonged, but John was a 4 year AHL vet when he arrived having played in Abbotsford for 3 seasons and then splitting a 4th season between AHL Chicago, ECHL Utah, and AHL Lake Erie. He got 41 total games with the Comets in his 1st 2 seasons here filling in for injuries. His top GP season was 2015-16, the first Utica/Vancouver injury debacle year that saw a PTO invasion just to keep the game roster at 18. He got 58 more games in '16-17 and I must admit he kept his head above water. The following season he was returned to backup duty and played 22 games. Last season he played in Europe.

Jagger Dirk has nothing on his resume to remotely make him an AHL player coming in other than an inside connection. He should become a Comet based upon 2 things: 1) a training camp that knocks the socks off the Utica coaching staff or 2) a direct order from Benning that he be placed on the final roster. Stewart came with that order, but proved in a blink he had no ability to be here and was sent to Kalamazoo where he was also rejected. His old Jr. team didn't even want him back for an overage season and Jimbo had to hunt for a Jr. team who would take him. He has managed to stick in Kalamazoo the last 2 seasons and has played. I don't know if Jim had a hand in that as well. They are affiliated with Vancouver.

I get a feeling one way or another Jagger will prove to be unworthy of a roster spot and will get the chance to play his first pro hockey at the ECHL level. That's exactly where a guy with his resume would get a shot, if any. If there is some actual pro level talent that went unnoticed, it will come out down there. If he does stick in Utica, don't look for him to play. If he does, it may the same way Green showcased Stewart. He stuck him onto the game night roster right off the bat and let him prove just how bad he was. It was easy to ship him out after that. Hopefully, Cull will take the same path if they don't let him cut the guy out of camp.

The Comets have too many young players here who have to play. Those kids need a couple of vets to play with and the Comets depth will come in the form of AHL proven talent, Blujus and Sifers. It should not be put on the shoulders of a kid who didn't get drafted after 4 Jr seasons and then played four more years of Canadian college hockey and was never noticed in all that time either.

I see both Dirk and Anselmini as additions to the Kalamazoo roster along with the rest of the slate of depth players the Comets have signed to stash in the ECHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad