2018-19 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
^What are your plans for Tanner Kero @Bad Goalie ? I don't see him on the list.

*also, Even McEneny is a fourth year player this season ;)

Yeah, for contract purposes he is in his 4th season, but as a Utica Comet, this will be his 3rd season. In Year 1 he was a Kalamazoo Wing except for 2 GP with the Comets.

I left Kero out. Senior moment? Maybe. However, I figure to see him on the list of Vancouver demotions. He has never been assigned here and word from Vancouver specifically placing him here has not been mentioned. I expect he will be in the Boucher, Archibald, Motte (all who played here already) grouping not the Gaunce, Granlund, Goldobin, Gaudette, Juolevi bunch.

I see him as the Comets #2 center. He slots right into Chaput's spot. The only real difference between the 2 is that Kero does not qualify for AHL veteran status leaving a veteran spot that Chaput held.

Michael was considered the #1 center, but like Kero his AHL lifetime #s are not not classic AHL #1 veteran play maker level. .66 and .65 PPG are the numbers for Chaput and Kero. O'Reilly at .86 and Hensick at .90 are what the Comets should be looking for in a #1. Gaudette over the course of a full season might hit those #s and if he comes down I suspect he will automatically slot into #1 with Kero at #2. However, when Gaudette is recalled, Kero will move into #1 and I don't think he belongs there based on history. He personally believes he is Vancouver material. That's the MO that Ghost Johnson likes players down here to have.

Who knows? Maybe they have decided they want Gaudette to work with LW Dahlen and another kid on RW (Jasek, Lind, MacEwen). Make a final decision on that RW, play them together all year, and bring them into Vancouver next season as a line. Maybe the RW doesn't work out, but Pettersson in that slot could finalize Vancouver's 2nd line. Just throwing that out there. I don't actually think Benning plans for the future in that manner. Throwing that trio to the wolves in the NHL this season wouldn't be the best idea from my point of view, but a year of NA pro development could make that trio ready for big things starting next season.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Cory Hergott thinks the Comets will be better this season. Nothing startling here, but a review of the changes and what to expect:
Five Reasons Why The Utica Comets Will Be Better In 2018/19
Most interesting item in this Canucks Army report is the belief by the writer that MacEwen has the playmaking skills to be center this season in Utica. Canucks have long coveted a big center, with good skating and playmaking skills, who can dominate on the dot. Would be sort of ironic if that kind of center actually arrived by the junior overage route as a free agent, rather than via the draft.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Most fans in Utica share Cory Hergott's enthusiasm about this season's Utica Comets. It will be the first season in this their 6-yr existence when the Canucks will actually stock the Comets with high promise prospects. In fact the number of young guys may actually become too many (Don't go nuts. I'll explain later).

I would bet if Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, Palmu, Gadjovich, MacMaster, and Jasek are all on the opening game night roster, it will be close to if not the biggest number of rookies in a starting lineup in the AHL.

If nothing more is done to the defense it will be by far the youngest D-corps in the league or if not, the least experienced.

Brisebois, Chatfield, Sautner, McEneny, Juolevi, and Blujus would be six non vets.
Juolevi, if a Comet, will be a rookie.
Chatfield (60GP) and Brisebois (68GP) are starting their second seasons after having been paired with a vet for the better part of the entire season. When not with a vet the experiments failed.
2 will be in what for all intents and purposes are their second seasons. Sautner (158 AHL GP)will be starting his second season taking a spot higher than 7/8 among the D-men. McEneny (78 AHL GP) will be starting his second year after losing the bulk of what would have been his second season last year to injury. He will be starting his 4th pro season but only played 3 games with the Comets before playing a big role in his first real season with the Comets in 2016-67.

Blujus (196 AHL GP) comes in having played a big role in the AHL in 2 and 1/2seasons, 2 with Syracuse and and 1/2 with the Comets. He will be the Comets most senior defenseman.

35-yr old Jaime Sifers who will be 36 in January should be in the wings on opening night and thereafter until an injury requires his presence on the ice. He had lost a step before signing with the Comets. Lost another last season and I would be surprised if he doesn't lose another this season. Unfortunately age has caught up with a smart, skilled, properly positioned, defensive D-man as he can't keep up with the younger opponents.

There is no room on the roster to try and break in another rookie in the person of Jagger Dirk. That event should take place in the ECHL. He is 25, undrafted, and beginning his first pro season after 5 Jr seasons and 4 seasons at a Canadian University (not exactly the NCAA). An experiment like Jagger doesn't happen at the AHL level. If 20 or 21, like Chatfield and Brisebois last season, you give them their shot. Not a player in Dirk's position. Let him prove with regular ice time in all situations at a lower level that he can cut it.

Same goes for Brandon Anselmini who played 4 yrs at NCAA Ferris State and then 2 pro seasons with cups of coffee at the AHL level with Texas and Rockford. Neither AHL team kept him around for a second season even to play with their ECHL affiliate.

You don't use rookies with little promise as your first line of backups on defense. The Comets need to replace Wiercioch with an even better D-man than he was. Holm and Wiercioch made their best contributions as the D-man on the PP. McEney had filled that role well in '16-17 when he actually pushed his way past Subban as the PP QB by the midway point of the season. He takes over for Holm.

Their real need is for a very strong veteran defender who can demonstrate on the ice how to play defense at this level. Neither Holm nor Wiercioch were good in that role, yet each of them baby sat a rookie all season long. It will be time for Brisebois to pair up with a non vet and play good defensively. I'm thinking McEneny. Sautner and Blujus have already been a solid pair. Chatfield really needs that vet.

Up front the the Comets have 7 rookies counting Gaudette. Unless they try making somebody a center who has not been playing that position, only Gaudette slates into the middle.
That's 6 rookie wings to join Boucher, Archibald, Motte, MacEwen, Carcone, Arseneau, Bancks, and Laplante on the wings. You do the math, 8 wings on game night. there's 14 already on the list. Out of Boucher, Archibald, MacEwen, Carcone, Motte, Dahlen, Jasek, Lind, MacMaster, Palmu, and Gadjovich who do you scratch besides Laplante and Arseneau?

You also have Brendan Bradley, 26 (2nd year pro with 2 AHL games played, Kalamazoo's top center last season - whoopee), Reid Gardiner, 22 (3rd year pro with a total of 33 AHL GP), and Kyle Thomas, 28(5th year pro with a whopping 19 AHL GP, terrible signing) under contract. These guys with the 2 aforementioned D-men all get sent to Kalamazoo.

Gaudette, Kero, Gaunce?, Darcy, Hamilton are the centers. Motte could conceivably be one as well.

Boucher, Archibald, Sautner, Kero, and maybe Goldobin would have to clear waivers. Any surprises in this post means another Canuck is demoted. Only Boeser, Gaudette, and Pettersson up front are not waiver eligible. Gaudette is the only one of these 3 that I see in Utica and he is sketchy at best. Juolevi is the only D that doesn't have to deal with waivers. If they keep Juolevi, is Biega the odd man out? Does he clear? If they keep Dahlen, does Goldobin get cut and would he clear?

Benning has said the Canucks are not a playoff team this season. Jimbo hoping to cash in at the Vancouver draft party? If so, maybe he doesn't put any players on waivers except Archi, Kero, Boucher, and Gaunce. Gaunce gets the axe because Pettersson will be a Canuck. Benning can't risk him going back to Sweden where he becomes untouchable until his season ends (yes or no?). Any players in Utica are on the clock for return to the big club when the injury bug bites. That's why the Comets need that veteran D-man and a quality top level veteran AHL center who will not get called up. They will be worth gold when the middle and the D-corps are sacked with call-ups and/or injuries or like normal, both..

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Most interesting item in this Canucks Army report is the belief by the writer that MacEwen has the playmaking skills to be center this season in Utica. Canucks have long coveted a big center, with good skating and playmaking skills, who can dominate on the dot. Would be sort of ironic if that kind of center actually arrived by the junior overage route as a free agent, rather than via the draft.

Mac was not a good puck distributor last season. He had trouble controlling it himself. He lost almost every 1 on 1 when he went up against an opposing D-man, but was obsessed with trying to do it shift after shift. He was terrible in his own end getting the puck out of his zone from the half boards. How he can transition into the middle offensively with these poor puck skills and then shoulder the tougher defensive role at center is a mystery to me. Leave him on the wing and hope he can grow into a power forward role.

I have found Hergott's opinions sounding like he is doing more stat reviewing than actually having watched the Comets play 81 games last season. Carcone is another one. he places him in a group challenging to make it to Vancouver. He is maybe a step above a healthy LaBate. However, he will have to cure his 5-year old kid problem of not playing well with others. He is a puck hog who gets little done most shifts because he won't give up the puck once he gets it, no passing to get it back concept in his mindset. Thus, he gets one "Oh, wow!" goal every once in awhile, picks up a PP garbage goal, and tips or bangs a pass in to get a middle teens number of goals. He is a liability on defense. He is a prototype of a young Jensen. Jensen became much more responsible on D and learned to use others to a fault. He and Grenier eventually couldn't be on the same line together because both insisted upon being the setup man and too few goals were scored as a result. Watch all of the new guys pass him up on the depth chart by Christmas. If they are not better than him by the end of the season, their chances of being significant contributors to the Canucks future have taken a step backwards. Goldobin and Boucher were miles ahead of Carcone and their futre spots in Vancouver are melting away fast. Boucher one of the AHL's premier goal scorers is already out of Vancouver's plans and Goldy is in make it or break it territory already. Carcone can't even be in the picture when comparing all 3 skill sets and recognizing how close the other 2 are to being gone. Same goes for MacEwen. Only difference with him is size.

Brisebois and Chatfield are not close to NHL ready. I will be surprised if Chatty ever gets there. Brisebois has a lot of hockey growth to go before he earns a shot in the show and right now if his game were to stop right where it is, he would never get there.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
This may seem like a far-out suggestion and his days as an NHL prospect are probably done, but does it make any sense for the Comets to consider a contract for Frankie Corrado-not to go back in time but because he might actually be able to help the Comets as an experienced defenceman who wouldn't take up a veteran spot in the lineup, having only 251 regular season games in the AHL and NHL combined?

As BG has pointed out the Comets look to have a very young defence with few players who have shown themselves able to anchor an AHL pairing. Unless I"m missing something, it appears to me the only right shot defencemen for the Comets this season appear to be Jaime Sifers (whose age related decline mean he's unlikely to be suited for regular duty,) Dylan Blujus and Jalen Chatfield. They could use a solid AHL right handed shot, though if Juolevi is in the NHL the Comets could get Biega as a solid right shot #1, at least until the injury bug hits.

I'll repeat, I'm not trying to go back in time and recover Corrado as an NHL prospect. After he was claimed by the Leafs (with Benning saying he waived him because he needed to play) Corrado sat for a couple of months and only has 122 pro games in three seasons since. His NHL hopes are largely shot.

Here we are in late August and Corrado has no contract. Now he might not be interested in a Utica contract, he may not be interested in the Canucks organization, he may no t have the drive to improve nor to make the NHL that the Comets' GM claims to want on the Comets and I'm sure Corrado's happiness to be claimed by the Leafs didn't endear him to the Canucks' management, the Comets already have plenty of players (having Sifers, Dirk and Anselmi to round out their d-corps) so of course this won't happen. Corrado probably wouldn't be the #1 defenceman that BG argues the Comets should be signing.

But to me, at this stage looking at the young mostly unproven Comets' defence, having an experienced right shooting non-"veteran" proven AHL defenceman could be a good thing.

I'm not close enough to the Comets, Canucks or Corrado to really know whether this could make sense for the Comets. My inclination is that an AHL offer, or a PTO at either the NHL or AHL level (likely with a view to an AHL contract) might make sense but others will be in a better position to judge.

Thoughts?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hunter Shinkaruk traded to Motntreal for Kirby Rychel. Looks like we will get to see him in Utica again. This time it will be 4 games with the the Laval Rocket. Comets play Laval 8 times, 4 home and 4 away. Would guess Chaput will be with them as well. Linemates? Could be.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This may seem like a far-out suggestion and his days as an NHL prospect are probably done, but does it make any sense for the Comets to consider a contract for Frankie Corrado-not to go back in time but because he might actually be able to help the Comets as an experienced defenceman who wouldn't take up a veteran spot in the lineup, having only 251 regular season games in the AHL and NHL combined?

As BG has pointed out the Comets look to have a very young defence with few players who have shown themselves able to anchor an AHL pairing. Unless I"m missing something, it appears to me the only right shot defencemen for the Comets this season appear to be Jaime Sifers (whose age related decline mean he's unlikely to be suited for regular duty,) Dylan Blujus and Jalen Chatfield. They could use a solid AHL right handed shot, though if Juolevi is in the NHL the Comets could get Biega as a solid right shot #1, at least until the injury bug hits.

I'll repeat, I'm not trying to go back in time and recover Corrado as an NHL prospect. After he was claimed by the Leafs (with Benning saying he waived him because he needed to play) Corrado sat for a couple of months and only has 122 pro games in three seasons since. His NHL hopes are largely shot.

Here we are in late August and Corrado has no contract. Now he might not be interested in a Utica contract, he may not be interested in the Canucks organization, he may no t have the drive to improve nor to make the NHL that the Comets' GM claims to want on the Comets and I'm sure Corrado's happiness to be claimed by the Leafs didn't endear him to the Canucks' management, the Comets already have plenty of players (having Sifers, Dirk and Anselmi to round out their d-corps) so of course this won't happen. Corrado probably wouldn't be the #1 defenceman that BG argues the Comets should be signing.

But to me, at this stage looking at the young mostly unproven Comets' defence, having an experienced right shooting non-"veteran" proven AHL defenceman could be a good thing.

I'm not close enough to the Comets, Canucks or Corrado to really know whether this could make sense for the Comets. My inclination is that an AHL offer, or a PTO at either the NHL or AHL level (likely with a view to an AHL contract) might make sense but others will be in a better position to judge.

Thoughts?

I have to admit I have been thinking along those lines as well. He definitely isn't the #1 they need, but he would be a guy who could carry a kid, plays well in his own end, and can move the puck. Not being a vet would be a big plus and his wheels are way better than Sifers'.

I'd bet Johnson and Benning will be no goes on this one and I'm not sure Frankie would be happy to bury the hatchet with Jimbo since he was told before his last Vancouver camp to just work at his best and not to worry as they knew he was still not fully recovered from the shoulder problem he suffered yet played with through the Calder Cup Playoff run. Then they waived him thinking nobody would want him, bye.

He did enjoy Utica and was treated very well here. I think he would be welcomed back with no problem.

Biega would be the better D-role model and teacher, but I hope he sticks in Vancouver. Bulldog earned the right to play there and has always put forth a praiseworthy effort in every game he's played there. he is the ideal NHL extras d-man because he can sit for undetermined time spans and then plug right in and play very well. He's never pretty, but he plays his position well, hits more than the rest of Vancouver's D-men, and gets the job done in his own end. He doesn't have an offensive flair and isn't fleet of foot, but always seems to function well especially with young players. He managed to finish at +3 in 44 GP last season on a pretty poor d-squad. He and Tanev were the only 2 Vancouver D-men to finish on the + side.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Joe LaBate has found a home for this season. Signed a 1-yr deal with the AHL Belleville Senators. Couldn't get an NHL 2-way with any of the 31.

Another ex-Comet to face Utica this season. Wonder if he will be injured when the Sens face the Comets. Bad (LOL) joke.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Here's a look at some familiar names that are elsewhere in the AHL. I'm sure there may be be more.
These teams will all play against the Comets this season.

Laval Rocket (Montreal Canadiens)
Alex Grenier
Michael Chaput
Hunter Shinkaruk

Toronto Marlies (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Jordan Subban
Griffen Molino
Adam Cracknell
Emerson Clark
Brady Brassart

Hershey Bears (Washington Capitals)
Jayson Megna

Belleville Senators (Ottawa Senators)
Joe LaBate

Cleveland Monsters (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Zac Dalpe
Adam Clendening

Rochester Americans (Buffalo Sabres)
Taylor Fedun

Bridgeport Sound Tigers (NY Islanders)
Mitch Gillam

The following players are on teams the Comets will only see if both teams happen to make the finals of the Calder Cup.

Iowa Wild (Minnesota Wild)
Cal O'Reilly

Colorado Eagles (Colorado Avalanche)
Joe Cannata

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Here's a look at some familiar names that are elsewhere in the AHL. I'm sure there may be be more.
These teams will all play against the Comets this season.

Laval Rocket (Montreal Canadiens)
Alex Grenier
Michael Chaput
Hunter Shinkaruk

Toronto Marlies (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Jordan Subban
Griffen Molino
Adam Cracknell
Emerson Clark
Brady Brassart

Hershey Bears (Washington Capitals)
Jayson Megna

Belleville Senators (Ottawa Senators)
Joe LaBate

Cleveland Monsters (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Zac Dalpe
Adam Clendening

Rochester Americans (Buffalo Sabres)
Taylor Fedun

Bridgeport Sound Tigers (NY Islanders)
Mitch Gillam

The following players are on teams the Comets will only see if both teams happen to make the finals of the Calder Cup.

Iowa Wild (Minnesota Wild)
Cal O'Reilly

Colorado Eagles (Colorado Avalanche)
Joe Cannata

That's actually a pretty decent start to an AHL team. The Comets would be well situated with a couple of these guys.

3 d-men - Fedun is the missing #1 puck moving, PPQB veteran D-man.

4 centers - I'd add 2 of those to the roster. Gaudette/OReilly (1-2one way or the other) Chaput, Kero. Let them center the Comets talented group of wings. They can all score and all of them need play makers. Gaudette gets called up and all move up a slot and Darcy/Hamilton fill in the 4th slot.

I'd pass on Brassart and Cracknell.

6 wings.
Grenier, Shinkaruk, Megna, LaBate, Molino, Clark
Comets can do without any of them.

2 goalies -
Cannata and Gillam
Comets can do without them as well.

So I added O'Reilly and Fedun.
Fedun is the only vet in the top 6. 1

O'Reilly and Chaput would be vets at center. 2,3

The vets Utica starts on the wings are Boucher and Archibald. 4,5.

Hamilton, Bancks, and Sifers sit until injuries and call-ups make room.

Oh, but Gaunce is coming down! Okay the Kero/Chaput trade reduced the vets by one and Gaunce fills that #3 spot. O'Reilly(Vet #1)/Gaudette/Kero/Gaunce(Vet#2).
Darcy
Hamilton (vet)

Boucher(Vet#3) and Archibald(Vet#4)

Biega gets sent down instead of Juolevi. Okay then Bulldog goes in an Blujus rest awhile as the #7. He won't be out very long.

Sautner/Fedun (Vet#5)
Brisebois/Biega(Vet#6)
McEneny/Chatfield
Blujus
Sifers

I actually don't see Biega getting demoted over Juolevi.
So Juolevi slides in with Fedun
and Sautner reunites with Blujus. Nope have to play Juolevi

How my Comets would shake out
Dahlen/Gaudette/Boucher(Vet1)
MacMaster/(OReilly/TJ Hensick Type (Vet2)/Jasek
Archibald(Vet3)/Kero/Palmu
Motte/Gaunce (Vet4)/MacEwen
Lind
Gadjovich
Bancks
Carcone
Hamilton
Darcy

Juolevi/Fedun(actually other vet type Vet5)
Sautner/Brisebois
McEneny/Chatfield
Blujus
Sifers

This lineup is going to be very difficult to finalize and I'm betting we see a lot of player jockeying in and out of the lineup over the course of the first 20 games or so. Production is going to be very important to keep yourself in the lineup. A lot of players will be nipping at each others' heels. This kind of competition is a good thing, not bad.

After all that GMing, in reality I don't see them bringing in another vet center in spite of the fact it will bite them in the ass later and Gaunce will get that role and Motte will get the 4th line. That will open up a wing spot for Lind.

Dahlen/Gaudette/Boucher(Vet1)
MacMaster/Kero/Jasek
Archibald(Vet2)/Motte/Lind
Palmu/Gaunce(Vet3)/MacEwen
Carcone
Bancks
Gadjovich
Darcy
Hamilton
Laplante

Juolevi/Vet4 or Brisebois
Sautner/Blujus or Brisebois
McEneny/Chatfield
Sifers and the odd man out in the group above, probably Blujus. Chatfield will be on a short leash as Blujus and Sautner have been a very good pairing in the past and Sautner with either of Briesbois and Chatfield didn't work out well at all.

One thing we have to look at is that McEneny was paired with Sifers often before his injury. So Cull may have other ideas anyways. I hope he doesn't see Sifers as a necessary member of the top 6. If he does it could very well be:
Juolevi/Brisebois
McEneny/Sifers
Sautner/Blujus
and Chatfield in rotation on the right side.
I can't see Dirk and Anselmini as the only thing the Comets have a reserve defenders. They need way more experienced D-men than those 2 especially when you consider how young this DF corps is already in the top 7.

There absolutely is a need for a veteran #1 D-man and then there is still room for another vet either on D or at center. Personally at this point I would make it a D-man. The O should be all right, but the D with all that youth is in danger of being ingested, especially when injuries and call-ups occur.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Kero
Gaudette
Gaunce
Darcy
Hamilton

^^this is what I think c looks like this year for the Comets. No #1 obviously, but three quality players and a couple of fourth liners. You can deal with it. There should finally be some real prospects on the roster which is what being an AHL fan is supposed to be all about; watching the NHLers of the future.

If Gaunce does make it down there I'll be bringing my goal celebrations over here of course. I'm looking forward to a fun year, maybre even listening to some radio play by play online ;)

bMsDNLP.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If both Gaunce and Biega were to end up on the Comets it would be a game-changer. But both would have to clear waivers, and can't see that happening. Prospects like Gaudette and Juolevi are just too easy to send down in their rookie seasons.

Reactions: timbermen

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If both Gaunce and Biega were to end up on the Comets it would be a game-changer. But both would have to clear waivers, and can't see that happening. Prospects like Gaudette and Juolevi are just too easy to send down in their rookie seasons.

I see Gaunce here with Gaudette. If Biega is sent down over Juolevi, the Bulldog would be a better fit as he can pair with a kid who needs the vet while Juolevi would need a vet who doesn't exist.

The Comets D-corps without at least one vet will be in trouble. Youth on paper looks good. On the ice when the **** hits the fan, they collapse and are eventually ingested by the aggressiveness of their opponents. It happened often last season when 2 questionable veteran D-men were in the lineup every night. Neither of those D-men have been replaced.

It appears the rookie with zero NA experience will replace one of them. The forward group looks very good, but they will be handcuffed by their defense and will be expected to be strong in their own end to help out. Not exactly the forte of the kids coming in. Common sense seems to be missing from the front office, GM ghost and his superior GM Jim. It's not the comets fault he has once again overloaded his team with vets and will have to waive some to send down or send down his new kids instead, but one of those kids coming down, Juolevi, just expands the D-corps to one more kid.

Some of you may have preconceived notions about the AHL, but you won't find a less experienced group of D-men in the league than the Comets with Juolevi (0 yrs), Brisebois (1 yr), Chatfield (1 yr), McEneny (1 yr and 14 GP over 3 other seasons), Sautner (3 yrs with the 3rd his first as player above the 6/7th), and Blujus (3 yrs). That makes Blujus and Sautner the senior players.

That leaves Jaime Sifers as the reserve D-man. I have actually read from Vancouver posters how Jagger Dirk (7 AHL GP) and Brandon Anselmini (17 AHL GP) will be the depth on defense for the Comets. They should be on the first bus/plane out for Kalamazoo.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That's always the conundrum with your AHL farm team. Could the Comets use a veteran d-man or two? No doubt about it. But of course there's the AHL veteran rule and the fact that these guys will take away playing time from your legitimate d-prospects. Young guys have to be allowed to play through their mistakes and grow their games, which is the reason they get sent to the AHL in the first place.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Some of you may have preconceived notions about the AHL, but you won't find a less experienced group of D-men in the league than the Comets with Juolevi (0 yrs), Brisebois (1 yr), Chatfield (1 yr), McEneny (1 yr and 14 GP over 3 other seasons), Sautner (3 yrs with the 3rd his first as player above the 6/7th), and Blujus (3 yrs).

That makes Blujus and Sautner the senior players.That leaves Jaime Sifers as the reserve D-man.

But who will be playing the big minutes? Here's an age-based look at how NHL teams use their AHL-affiliates.

Sifers is obviously the veteran of that group, but Sautner (entering 4th year), Blujus (entering 5th year), and McEneny (he's essentially a 4th year pro) are hardly rookies. These guys are 24 year old Dmen and if healthy should be very capable top 4 AHL Dmen.

I'm not sure what your preconceived notions of what some posters' preconceived notions about the AHL are, but for me, the ideal scenario would be to have a 26-28 year old Wiercioch type with recent NHL experience down on the farm, homegrown Dmen who are still waiver exempt (and to a much lesser extent unlikely to be picked up on waivers) but close to cracking the NHL full-time and has had some NHL games under his belt, a 2nd round/3rd round type like Brisebois who is entering his 2nd or 3rd AHL season, and a bluechip prospect just turning pro. That's probably a bit of an old school thinking.

The NHL is getting younger. There would be little concern about experience if an NHL team was filled with 24 year old Dmen entering their 4th NHL seasons who have proven to be capable of logging the minutes he is expected to log at the NHL level so why should it be a concern at the AHL level?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
If I had my choice I would take a proven #1 play maker center over another veteran defenseman. If McEneny is healthy and can play at the same level that he was playing at the Comets D will be fine. I expect both Chatfield and Brisebois to take another step forward in their second year and I expect Juolevi to be solid based on his draft position and the year spent in Finland playing against men. Sautner was the most improved Comet last season and should continue to improve as his confidence level grows. That's five solid AHL defenders with Blujus and Siefers in the 6/7 positions plus there is still a possibility of Biega coming back down through waivers.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It appears someone has neglected to read anything I recently posted or has decided to ignore reality.

Juolevi IS a rookie. He has played a whole season of pro hockey and done very well in a league that is nowhere the likes of the AHL. If those "men" were all that good, they would be over here. Players from here go over there when they realize they are not good enough to play here, but are considered good over there. He's a rookie who needs time to adjust to the North American game and is not ready to carry another young player. He needs a steady player to pair up with. He will get that care in Vancouver and he deserves to start with it here. If he shows he doesn't need it, carry on. Maybe he should move up.

I am hoping it can be McEneny because no one else here is capable of that job. You say he is in his 4th pro season. Again I stress to you that he has played one professional season at the AHL level. I don't give a tinker about his age. He has played one season in Utica, 2016-17.
Last year he played 11 games and was gone for the season. He just had the 2nd major surgical repair to his knee in 3 seasons. He is coming in to start his career all over again and you are looking for him to be a stalwart on D.

Sautner will be starting his 4th season. He finally became a fixture above the 6th or 7th man. He and Blujus are the "men" on this D-corps. Dylan was rescued from the ECHL after 21 games with the Jacksonville IceMen. He only played 23 games for the Crunch in 2016-17 and was not re-signed by Tampa after his ELC ran out. He played 45 games for the Comets. So, Ashton and Dylan are the steady vets the Comets will rely upon? Not too much pressure for them to bear.

Brisebois and Chatfield are 2nd year pros. Someone has managed to pull a Trump on you guys. Benning kept talking all last season about the great season Guillaume was having anytime he got near a mike. Interesting because he never once saw the kid play or any other Comet for that matter. He was never here. So, it's tell people the same point over and over and eventually they accept it as fact.

Brisebois had 18 points in 68 games with 15 assists, mostly the result of breakout passes. He played on the PK early on, but was relieved of such regular duty when he showed it to be a weakness. He got PK time later on only when one of the regular guys was either hurt or serving his own penalty. He was a very poor D-man when pressured. His play away from the puck never became solid. He is weak in front of the net. He is a project in progress.

Chatfield is the better of the 2 defensively and he got a lot of PK time but suffered due to his PK partner being his regular PK pairing as well, Wiercioch. He should have been able to learn from his veteran partner, but Patrick was not a physical D-man. He was very poor at playing the body and tying up guys in front. So, Jalen's work on the PK was on the job training, watching the guys who did it better, and coaching inn practice after practice. He is an offensive ghost, 7 points in 60 GP. He did, however, learn to cover for Wiercioch who became a puck carrier and put up a career high 10 goals among his 37 points which were 3rd best on the team.

These guys are hopefully going to get better with a season under their belt, but just like guys on the Canucks need to have some shelter and are paired accordingly, these 2 need that same kind of help and it's not here.

Sifers is the kind of old that shows he is old. He is a replacement player who can't really handle the grind of being a key player night in and night out.

So to VanJack, yes, this is a development team, but if you expect guys to develop you have to give them the environment in which that can happen. Every AHL team carries and plays their 5-6 vets based on the presence of a VE to go with their 5 vets. Boucher was that guy last year and was the Comets' top goal scorer and a league All-Star.

The vets on most teams do play key roles and are utilized in ways that teach, protect/shelter, feed, and nurture the kids. 3 of the top 4 scorers for the Calder Cup winning Marlies were vets and the 3rd guy was a kid who spent considerable time with the Leafs even though only playing 9 games with them. There were a lot of comparable point totals among the rest of their forwards and most of their D-men were around 20 points or better, both vets and kids. For the Comets their top point getters were a mix of top prospects, a rookie, and vets:
Boucher 46PTs/45GP
Chaput 42PTs/55GP
Wiercioch 37PTs/37GP
MacEwen 33PTs/66GP
Goldobin 31PTs/30GP
That Comets team was not blessed with a very large group of kids and most of the ones it did have are likely not going anywhere. Cassels, D'Aoust, Molino were not asked back. Carcone and MacEwen were the other two, a 2nd yr pro and a rookie. I'm not holding out much hope for Carcone beyond the AHL and this current incoming group of kids will make his life Hell unless he makes some monumental steps forward.

The vets allow the rest the chance to show their skills, learn the pro game, and succeed while getting better on a nightly basis. If you throw them out there without that support system, you will watch them develop bad habits, lose confidence, and struggle to do what they are here to do, grow and have success. It's not all rookie lines, rookie D-pairings, rookie PPs and PK units. It's a fine mix of veteran talent, middle development guys, and raw rookies. You put a top kid (Dahlen) on a line with Boucher and Kero. You stick Gaudette between a solid vet and maybe another promising kid (Jasek). You give Brisebois and Chatfield steady consistent D-partners to work with and learn from. Maybe McEneny can do that same job with Juolevi. That allows a couple of the D to start swimming in the deep end without life preservers (Sautner and Blujus). That makes a team. They learn to work together, rely upon one another, and grow together in becoming more than just raw talent doing their own thing and floundering because that doesn't work at this level. If something in those d-Pairings doesn't cut it, there is no one left to turn to. That's where that extra veteran D-man comes in.

I already drew you a lineup in post #312 that utilized 5 vets and has the top rookies accounted for. Yes, some kid may have to work his ass into a rotation or wait a week or 2 until, the first injury or call-up occurs. The same for a guy who played last season or longer, but gets his spot taken by a kid. It won't ruin their careers to have to work a bit to get somewhere. None of these guys are owed a spot. There is no entitlement in the pros. The best get the ice. Isn't that the point? Developing the best players?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It appears someone has neglected to read anything I recently posted or has decided to ignore reality.

Who are you talking about? Yourself? Par of the rest of your post seems aimed at my post so go figure.

Juolevi IS a rookie.

Who is saying he isn't? I must have missed the part where someone said the Comets can rely on him to log heavy mistakes and not be prone to growing pains or rookie mistakes.

I am hoping it can be McEneny because no one else here is capable of that job. You say he is in his 4th pro season. Again I stress to you that he has played one professional season at the AHL level. I don't give a tinker about his age. He has played one season in Utica, 2016-17.
Last year he played 11 games and was gone for the season. He just had the 2nd major surgical repair to his knee in 3 seasons. He is coming in to start his career all over again and you are looking for him to be a stalwart on D.

Do you just ramble on your own tangent or do you actually read what other people say? Darren Archibald played in parts of two NHL seasons totaling less than 45 games. If he "collapsed" when shit hits the fan, it would be idiotic for someone to defend him because he's not an "NHL veteran." Similarly, at this point, either McEneny is good or he isn't. If he "collapses" when shit hits the fan, it has nothing to do with the fact that he has played one professional season at the AHL level.

Sautner will be starting his 4th season. He finally became a fixture above the 6th or 7th man. He and Blujus are the "men" on this D-corps. Dylan was rescued from the ECHL after 21 games with the Jacksonville IceMen. He only played 23 games for the Crunch in 2016-17 and was not re-signed by Tampa after his ELC ran out. He played 45 games for the Comets. So, Ashton and Dylan are the steady vets the Comets will rely upon? Not too much pressure for them to bear.

Weren't they logging heavy minutes last season? Top 4? Even top pairing? To me, if they "collapse" when shit hits the fan, it's because of their ability not experience. Of course there are exceptions, but these guys are 24 year old Dmen with 4-5 years of professional hockey experience including seasons in the AHL.

Brisebois and Chatfield are 2nd year pros. Someone has managed to pull a Trump on you guys. Benning kept talking all last season about the great season Guillaume was having anytime he got near a mike. Interesting because he never once saw the kid play or any other Comet for that matter. He was never here. So, it's tell people the same point over and over and eventually they accept it as fact.

Who are the "you guys" you are referring to. You won't find many Canucks' fans on this thread or elsewhere who think Guillaume is close to being NHL ready or expect him to make the AHL all star team next season. I don't know of any regular posters here who is sold on Guillaume because of what Benning said. You need to stop spreading the fake news.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->