2018 USport Off-Season Recruiting

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
G Simon Hofley is transferring from Canisius College (NCAA) to UPEI according to Darren Zary. Not sure if he will have to sit out the year after playing some last year??

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
No. NCAA doesn't count any more.

I think it counts only if you've finished your degree. eg. A 4-year program with 4 years played counts as a 'career' on college/university and as such you don't get that 5th year like the USPORTS players would get when they move to take a second degree.

Moving during your career - as in this case - agreed, there is no wait required.

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Confirmed Garrett McFadden D to Acadia

Who else besides Schemitsch and Pufahl are Acadia losing on defense? This is their 5th defense recruit announced and they 7 D last year. Have to imagine they are losing at least 2 more with eligibility left. Stephen Woodworth would be in his 5th year if he returns.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Who else besides Schemitsch and Pufahl are Acadia losing on defense? This is their 5th defense recruit announced and they 7 D last year. Have to imagine they are losing at least 2 more with eligibility left. Stephen Woodworth would be in his 5th year if he returns.

Their 2018-2019 roster (not including McFadden) is here...

the Players

Woodworth is not listed.

I believe they have recruited 4 D - MacDougall, McFadden, Morrison, and Fergus.

Reactions: freddy123

HockeyPuck

Jan 6, 2016
Been out of the forum for a while but what do you guys think about the AUS recruitment summer ?

I think Acadia had the best. Considering they have the UCup next year.
Moncton did a solid job and I would like to see them back on track.
PEI with good elements, same with SMU.
UNB, as usual ($).
DAL..well.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Been out of the forum for a while but what do you guys think about the AUS recruitment summer ?

UNB, as usual ($).
DAL..well.
Large numbers at Acadia, they will have a solid year and build towards hosting next year!
A lot of uncertainty with a one year bid and the 8 team format!
A lot of financial risk for sure.
However as we approach the ides of August I have been waiting for Lethbridge to make a bit of a splash given the are hosting. Shirley they aren't hoping that their returning players will just be better this year.
I am sure Holly out here will have more to report soon, because from out here in Bison land they might have their head stuck in the sand hoping things just go away?

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Everyone in USports knew Spiros was leaving and attack credibility of hockey program.

Therefore, you are seeing really bad off-season, which in turn will produce bad season overall for them and very early exit at UCUP.

Biggest loser might be Usport at UCUP this year as host in theory at this moment going to get embarrassed.

Sometimes best location for Usports comes down to money and not product on ice. I believe that’s what happen here for 2019 Nationals

Hope I’m wrong and Leithbridge shocks USport world but I cannot see that at this moment

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Everyone in USports knew Spiros was leaving and attack credibility of hockey program.

Therefore, you are seeing really bad off-season, which in turn will produce bad season overall for them and very early exit at UCUP.

Biggest loser might be Usport at UCUP this year as host in theory at this moment going to get embarrassed.

Sometimes best location for Usports comes down to money and not product on ice. I believe that’s what happen here for 2019 Nationals

Hope I’m wrong and Leithbridge shocks USport world but I cannot see that at this moment
Agreed, but apparently U of Leth didn't get that memo. might be difficult to watch!

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

Not many places can host the U-Cup and make money. USport has to decide whether the event should be used to foster publicity for USport, either locally (e.g. Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg, etc. where USport hockey doesn't draw much) or nationally (e.g. NHL arena where the local team sponsors the event).

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

UNB, as usual ($).
DAL..well.

In terms of just looking at the quality/quantity of recruits brought in this summer (ie/ not taking into consideration who teams lost/might lose), this is how I would rank it.

1) UNB - Only 6 guys but all of them are above-to-well-above average. Gatenby and Rassell are blue-chip with Dove-McFalls possibly in that tier as well. Boucher/Watling/McEwan are all solid pieces, especially when you consider they may be 3rd/4th liners, at least to start. Also keep in mind they have the ability to add one more piece, most likely a d-man.

2) Acadia - Obviously the biggest class in the conference and a lot of quality as well. The recent addition of McFadden pushes Acadia close to UNB IMO as he was arguably one of the best CHL defencemen available. Houck, MacDougall, Corneil, Fergus, Colello, Flodell all look like "top of the line-up" type additions. The rest appear to be just depth pieces right now. I believe they are at the maximum of 22 skaters right now.

3) SMU - Like UNB in that it is a small class but Friend, DeNoble, Theede, and Welsh all look to be above-average. I don't think they have maxed out their roster yet so could still add someone.

4) St. FX - Not going to lie, I am a little underwhelmed with their class outside of Holwell. Thompson and Webster are ok. They are probably better than their numbers show and could turn into very good shutdown defenders in the AUS, but right now I see St. FX as having a weaker class than the above three teams. I am surprised they recruited exclusively east coast guys this summer after being one of the more active teams to recruit from the OHL in recent years. Sounds like they are done adding for the summer.

5) Moncton - St. Cyr and Montpetit are upper-echelon guys and Lanoue is a big addition for them. Getting another CHL defenceman in Desjardins should help as keeping pucks out of the net has been their biggest weakness recently. With three top notch recruits you could make an argument it’s a better class than St. FX. What isn’t an argument is that it is their best class in recent memory and hopefully this is a sign of things to come to get them back on track to where they once were.

6) UPEI - Three of their four announced recruits have CHL experience, but no real stand-out player like the teams ahead of them have been able to land.

7) Dalhousie - Par for the course I guess with a bunch of Jr A players.

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Not many places can host the U-Cup and make money. USport has to decide whether the event should be used to foster publicity for USport, either locally (e.g. Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg, etc. where USport hockey doesn't draw much) or nationally (e.g. NHL arena where the local team sponsors the event).

Guaranteed money upfront was huge factor in decision (Six Figures)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't plan on going to Lethbridge next year. 1st time since 2001 that I'll miss the show. Travel is one factor, but the quality of the host is a bigger one. I'll probably use my dollars on a Memorial Cup pass. Last time I watched live was Mike Jefferson and the "Bad Boys from Barrie".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad