2018 Under 18 Priority Selection - April 11th

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Did any player from last years U18 selection make their teams?

1st rounders:
Hadfield (BAR): 27 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P
Serensits (SBY): 61 GP, 2 G, 7 A, 9 P
Gaylor (MISS): 42 GP, 3 G, 1 A, 4 P

2nd rounders:
Jakovljevic (SAR): 27 GP, 1 G, 3 A, 4 P

3rd rounders:
Losev (OTT): 30 GP, 2 G, 1 A, 3 P

4th rounders:
None

5th rounders:

None

Not one guy with more than 3 goals. Nobody with double digit points. Not one goalie even played a second in the OHL this year

Reactions: RangerNation

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The U18 selection is more like shooting a target blindly in the dark there's no guarantee that any players picked will make the OHL clubs if there is a 1-80 chance of them.

However I'm not saying that there isn't players picked in the U18 draft that couldn't make the OHL from that selection process but more to the point of the fact that with limited spots on any given club in any season I tend to agree with the insight of OS management that unless the league decides to go with a limited amount selections similar to the import draft with 2 this process seems to be a very watered down idea in the eyes of fans and management alike.

With only 5 players playing in the OHL to date in total it would seem that this idea of a 3rd draft process seems to be mute and of limited to the growth in the league if the league intends to give players who miss opportunities the first time around it would seem more constructive to use the U18 selection in a similar way to the CHL import draft as it doesn't effect free agent invites that any team can have in camps

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
The U18 selection is more like shooting a target blindly in the dark there's no guarantee that any players picked will make the OHL clubs if there is a 1-80 chance of them.

However I'm not saying that there isn't players picked in the U18 draft that couldn't make the OHL from that selection process but more to the point of the fact that with limited spots on any given club in any season I tend to agree with the insight of OS management that unless the league decides to go with a limited amount selections similar to the import draft with 2 this process seems to be a very watered down idea in the eyes of fans and management alike.

With only 5 players playing in the OHL to date in total it would seem that this idea of a 3rd draft process seems to be mute and of limited to the growth in the league if the league intends to give players who miss opportunities the first time around it would seem more constructive to use the U18 selection in a similar way to the CHL import draft as it doesn't effect free agent invites that any team can have in camps
Great explanation! See I dont know why the OHL would allow 3 00's and 5 01's were drafted in the priority selection if they want this draft to be successful why not make it that only 02's would be allowed to be drafted in the priority selection?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm glad they're pushing down to three rounds. Hopefully they got rid of that goalie rule as well.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Believe it is only a ploy to keep players dreams alive and a reason to play Major Midget rather than making the move to Jr A and playing against much older players with the hope of school offers at some point. I would think major midget coaches would be fully supportive of this draft for that reason.

Reactions: the dog

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Believe it is only a ploy to keep players dreams alive and a reason to play Major Midget rather than making the move to Jr A and playing against much older players with the hope of school offers at some point. I would think major midget coaches would be fully supportive of this draft for that reason.
I agree - this was brought in after the minor hockey groups were crying foul on the "dying" major midget programs.

Reactions: LDN

member 71782

The U18 draft is a pointless exercise the way things are currently set up. The kids who don't get drafted in their first year of eligibility currently will move on to play with older kids in Tier II or JR.A/B/C if they have the talent/potential and they aren't eligible for the U18 draft or kids move onto high school programs.

The only ways to make the U18 draft a legitimate option, both for the kids and the teams is to make all the Tier II and JR.A/B/C teams 17+ with any underage players having to have been already drafted into the OHL.

Next you would have to make the current priority selection a single birth year only and reduce it from a 15 round draft to 10 rounds. Teams always have a late round pick on their rosters at least every couple of years but if you eliminate 100 prospects from the priority selection, a number of who have the potential to crack an OHL roster at some point and you eliminate 16 year old eligibility for Tier II and JR.A/B/C this should increase the talent/competitive level for midget major and actually make the U18 draft a real option for players and teams.

After all of that make the U18 a 2 or 3 round draft and eliminate the goaltender rule.

The U18 draft was created to help boost major midget hockey while providing a second chance to be drafted into the OHL. The problem is with a 15 round draft most of the top talent has been picked with anyone not making their OHL roster at 16 being assigned to Tier II or JR.A/B/C leaving major midget watered down.

drummerboy

Apr 8, 2018
The U18 draft was created to help boost major midget hockey while providing a second chance to be drafted into the OHL. The problem is with a 15 round draft most of the top talent has been picked with anyone not making their OHL roster at 16 being assigned to Tier II or JR.A/B/C leaving major midget watered down.

While for the most part I agree with the sentiments of the U18 draft listed above to say 15 rounds of the minor midget draft took the top talent leaving nothing behind simply is not true. I followed midget hockey closely throughout Ontario this year and there were many drafted kids that got completely outplayed all season by undrafted kids in all the leagues. Some kids just need the extra year. There are many already drafted 2001's who didn't look good playing major midget this year. With the draft U18 now being only 2 rounds (3, if you take a goalie) it's still opportunity for those kids that missed out on the draft last year but are further in their development then some that were drafted.

member 71782

While for the most part I agree with the sentiments of the U18 draft listed above to say 15 rounds of the minor midget draft took the top talent leaving nothing behind simply is not true. I followed midget hockey closely throughout Ontario this year and there were many drafted kids that got completely outplayed all season by undrafted kids in all the leagues. Some kids just need the extra year. There are many already drafted 2001's who didn't look good playing major midget this year. With the draft U18 now being only 2 rounds (3, if you take a goalie) it's still opportunity for those kids that missed out on the draft last year but are further in their development then some that were drafted.

I agree there are kids who need that extra year which is why I think cutting down the draft to 10 rounds as well as the other suggestions I made would be the best way to approach things.

If things appear watered down the development doesn't shine through as much when it is considered to be against undrafted or late round kids when so many have moved on to other leagues at a higher level.

If those undrafted kids, more of them can be kept together then I think you will see the level of competition rise along with that extra year of development.

With only a couple of major midget kids seeing any time at all I think it exposes the flaws in the current system. Make changes that keep more of that talent together and I think the development improves and more kids from the U18 draft would get that second chance in a meaningful way.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There are loads of examples of “walk-ons” making OHL clubs and then putting in a good OHL career. Some have even gone on to be high profile pro’s.

I don’t think we can judge the value of the U-18 draft based on the results on one season. Most considered the 2016 OHL draft to be a weak draft class and that showed in the corresponding U-18 draft in 2017.

With such a good draft class this year, it will be interesting to see the results of next year’s U-18 draft.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
DO players have to declare themselves available for this draft? Reason why I ask is teams could otherwise simply draft NCAA commit players and just roll the dice.

Reactions: LDN

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
DO players have to declare themselves available for this draft? Reason why I ask is teams could otherwise simply draft NCAA commit players and just roll the dice.

You would think that all those players with NCAA commits would have already been drafted by ohl teams.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
GOOD IDEA :)

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
This draft is only for players that played Midget hockey this past year.

Any 00 or 01 that had an NCAA commit would have played Tier 2 or Jr B this past year. I do not believe there is one NCAA commit player that played Ontario Midget this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad