2018 UEFA Nations League

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Won't shock me if Italy get relegated

Turkey come from two goals down against Sweden, the second goal was after a nice interchange

Andorra few minutes away from extending their unbeaten streak to 5 games :eek::nod:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
And Turkey now score in the final minute, the group is now wide open with each team losing their home game (Russia yet to play their home fixture)

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Portugal were not very good today but still were mostly dominant vs Italy. If Italy is turning things around to become an elite national team again, it certainly isn’t any time soon.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Croatia getting trounced by Spain. Surprising.
They really aren't though. Perisic just isn't tracking back so Pivaric is getting shit on by Asensio and Carvajal. Didn't see the first goal but the second was a great strike and the third was a lucky hitting off the back of the keeper. It's been pretty even despite the score.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Thankfully the qualifiers don't start until March, I knew something like this would happen after the World Cup hype

Though concerning at the amount of goals they are conceding, 8 now in the last two competitive matches, haven't kept a clean sheet in 7 matches

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They really aren't though. Perisic just isn't tracking back so Pivaric is getting **** on by Asensio and Carvajal. Didn't see the first goal but the second was a great strike and the third was a lucky hitting off the back of the keeper. It's been pretty even despite the score.
Now they are getting dominated.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Easy to say now after a 6:0 defeat but Dalic's comments about not caring for the Nations League don't look great now. Not that I care about being relegated or not but 6:0 is embarrassing regardless of the opponent. Doesn't help the next match will be in empty stadium, motivation will be low again and because of the U21 qualifier again no youngsters in all likelihood

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Easy to say now after a 6:0 defeat but Dalic's comments about not caring for the Nations League don't look great now. Not that I care about being relegated or not but 6:0 is embarrassing regardless of the opponent. Doesn't help the next match will be in empty stadium, motivation will be low again and because of the U21 qualifier again no youngsters in all likelihood

As a Croatian fan, the reality now is that in the mid term you probably need to look at the other B tier countries more than at the A tier countries. You had your new Golden Generation and got to be a World Cup Finalist, but that generation is on its way out. Croatia isn't big enough to be a major player for every tournament. Dalic needs to focus on qualification for the Euro as that won't be a guaranteed thing.

member 305909

Iceland are certainly at the end of their golden times and are slipping back into mediocrity they were before.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
As a Croatian fan, the reality now is that in the mid term you probably need to look at the other B tier countries more than at the A tier countries. You had your new Golden Generation and got to be a World Cup Finalist, but that generation is on its way out. Croatia isn't big enough to be a major player for every tournament. Dalic needs to focus on qualification for the Euro as that won't be a guaranteed thing.

It's not a tragedy or anything of the sort. We didn't have Lovren, basically no Vrsaljko, Rebic or Kramaric.
More importantly, it's the Croatian mentality - "we did good, now wins will come on their own".

It was a shambolic performance, with some very questionable experiments (Kovacic as forward, Rog as RB after Vrsaljko had to come off), where they just stopped playing after 20 minutes. It was bizarre.

6-0 hurts, but as a reality check it might not be bad. Guys like Rebic, Perisic and Mandzukic aren't the most talented in the world, but they outwork people constantly - and yesterday, after the inital 20 minutes, people were strolling about.

Vrsaljko going down is more of a worry than the score line. He's a top RB and we need him.
We looked good in the first 20 minutes, took the game to Spain, pressed them, created turnovers, set up 3 great chances (2 through Vrsaljko), he came off due to injury and it was like someone hit the "off" switch.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's not a tragedy or anything of the sort. We didn't have Lovren, basically no Vrsaljko, Rebic or Kramaric.
More importantly, it's the Croatian mentality - "we did good, now wins will come on their own".

It was a shambolic performance, with some very questionable experiments (Kovacic as forward, Rog as RB after Vrsaljko had to come off), where they just stopped playing after 20 minutes. It was bizarre.

6-0 hurts, but as a reality check it might not be bad. Guys like Rebic, Perisic and Mandzukic aren't the most talented in the world, but they outwork people constantly - and yesterday, after the inital 20 minutes, people were strolling about.

Vrsaljko going down is more of a worry than the score line. He's a top RB and we need him.
We looked good in the first 20 minutes, took the game to Spain, pressed them, created turnovers, set up 3 great chances (2 through Vrsaljko), he came off due to injury and it was like someone hit the "off" switch.
Perisic was the problem on the 2nd and 3rd goals cause he wasn’t working hard enough.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I don’t understand the point of these games when Euro 20 qualifiers don’t start until next year. Glorified friendlies nothing more.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don’t understand the point of these games when Euro 20 qualifiers don’t start until next year. Glorified friendlies nothing more.

It's complicated, and not necessarily great.
Best thing is if you're in league A you get 4 matches with quality opponents instead of random friendlies (for example, our FA arranged a friendly with Jordan next month - which has to be about money, nothing else, no testing new players in any sort of competitive environment etc.).

Worst thing? One of the worst 16 teams, winner of league D will get a spot in the EUROs by default.
Utterly perplexing how anyone thought this was a good idea, having a team like Andorra (for example) make the EUROs, but maybe have someone from the top 2 leagues miss out because of a harder draw for the qualifiers.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It won't be Andorra, but yeah one of Georgia, Macedonia, Belarus, Luxemburg, Kosovo, Faroer Islands, Azerbaijan, Armenia or Liechtenstein is basically certain to make it. I think Georgia might be the 'best' on that list. Whoever gets that team in their Euro group will be pretty pleased probably.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
If I were to bet I'd say Georgia too, Macedonia though seem to have a decent generation coming through (for League D standards)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Great defense from VVD here on Mbappe. Only Liverpool player that actually played a decent game. Wij was obviously average (at best).
I mean, he had 100% passing against France playing in a more advanced role than he typically does, and he's playing on a team with Babel, Blind, Propper and Tete in a completely different set-up that hasn't exactly been gelling immediately. France is clearly the superior team but I didn't feel like the Netherlands were overrun and they did quite well in the second half (France maybe deserved red?) This team is in transition and Wijnaldum in a complementary player, not a game breaker (even if he has the talent to be, it's just not his game).

We've still got a long way to go and some younger players to introduce.

Still loved this gif from the game though:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There's a very interesting study about how passing percentage stats are worthless (using the direction of the passes) .

Well, that's another example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad