2018 UEFA Nations League

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Italy is struggling and it's not looking like it's going to get better THAT quickly. Other than aging Chiellini, and a Bonucci who needs to make a comeback season, the only player close to being "world class" is maybe Insigne. Jorginho I'm still on the fence about, I think he's great at distribution, but melts under press - he was horrible vs Poland.
Zappacosta, Braghi, Gagliardini, even Berna... These are not great players, and Italy shouldn't be surprised if they're failing to compete and look a serious team compared to Germany or France.
Chiesa will be world class sooner rather than later, Caldara and Romagnoli will be a very, very good CB pairing, Pellegri has the potential to be a top 5 striker in the world, Cutrone is the most clinical Italian striker I've seen since Inzaghi, and Plizzari is looking very good as well. The only question mark is their midfield, otherwise I can see them fielding a very strong team for 2022.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chiesa will be world class sooner rather than later, Caldara and Romagnoli will be a very, very good CB pairing, Pellegri has the potential to be a top 5 striker in the world, Cutrone is the most clinical Italian striker I've seen since Inzaghi, and Plizzari is looking very good as well. The only question mark is their midfield, otherwise I can see them fielding a very strong team for 2022.
I'm betting on 3 straight WC titles with this kind of uber-talent.

Reactions: Ceremony

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Oh so being WC is 10 games a year?

Gotcha.
When you're talking about the quality of players on a national team, you don't think it's relevant to factor in their performance for said national team? Sure, Verratti might be world class playing against farmers and kids in France but that doesn't help Italy much does it?
I'm betting on 3 straight WC titles with this kind of uber-talent.
At least Italy doesn't have to rely on poaching players from other countries to fill out their national team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
When you consider WC players, you consider what they do every week.
Maybe Verratti isn't shining because the team arond him sucks? Of the coaching sucks too? Or both?

Farmers? :facepalm:

Poaching players from other countries? Seriously? I think there are more non-born italian players on Italy then non-born french players on France. :laugh:
Or maybe you're among those italian voters who think black isn't european? :facepalm:

Meanwhile France CONTINUES to be poached from several other countries, explaining why it's EASILY the most represented country in every WC event. Italians don't have this problem obviously, they can't even qualify.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't LITN. Now we know he's a bigot, it's even better. Lots of fun coming up.

Come on, Eder and Jorginho aren't.... black....

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
When you consider WC players, you consider what they do every week.
Maybe Verratti isn't shining because the team arond him sucks? Of the coaching sucks too? Or both?

Farmers? :facepalm:

Poaching players from other countries? Seriously? I think there are more non-born italian players on Italy then non-born french players on France. :laugh:
Or maybe you're among those italian voters who think black isn't european? :facepalm:

Meanwhile France CONTINUES to be poached from several other countries, explaining why it's EASILY the most represented country in every WC event. Italians don't have this problem obviously, they can't even qualify.
Like I said, in a discussion about nation teams, a player's performance for said national team is highly relevant. Verratti has yet to have a single good performance for Italy. I've always been a huge fan of his since his Pescara days but he has yet to show his quality for Italy. A world class player performs well regardless of the team around him and he's played under several different coaches and systems and has always been disappointing.

Other than Jorginho, there are no other foreign-born players in the Italian national team. There are several in France's.
You mean like Jorginho and Eder?
Their inclusion was highly controversial in Italy and even though I love Jorginho, I disagree with having foreign-born players in the squad. Eder was a joke and I will never understand why Conte loved him so much. Easily one of the worst players to ever play for the Azzurri.

Italy's use of foreign-born players pales in comparison to France's.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Can you please name me the WC french players who weren't born in France. Please do. And then tell me when they arrived in France.

Now compare to Jorginho and Eder.
Please do.

And then go back under your rock ashamed.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Meh, i'll save you some time so you don't have to go through all black players.

2. That's the number. T-W-O. Mandanda (backup goalie) and Umtiti. Both arrived in France at age 2. I'm sure you consider that poaching. I'm sure they mastered football at 24 months.

Meanwhile, Italy has Eder and Jorginho. Jorginho arrived in Italy at age 15. Eder at 20.

Who's poaching again?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Meh, i'll save you some time so you don't have to go through all black players.

2. That's the number. T-W-O. Mandanda (backup goalie) and Umtiti. Both arrived in France at age 2. I'm sure you consider that poaching. I'm sure they mastered football at 24 months.

Meanwhile, Italy has Eder and Jorginho. Jorginho arrived in Italy at age 15. Eder at 20.

Who's poaching again?
You're forgetting Lemar and Payet. And yes, I know Payet wasn't in the WC squad but Eder hasn't been anywhere near Italy's national team lately either.

If you want to go back to France's 1998 squad, Vieira, Desailly, Thuram, and Karembeu were all foreign born.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And again, Italy has poached from NT, France has used 2 players born outside France and who moved to France at age 2.

No matter how you look at it, Desailly/Vieira are more french than Thiago Motta will ever be. They were raised in France and learnt football in France.

That's really an argument only bigots can try to have.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The only player that comes to mind in France who didn't learn most of his football in France is David Trezeguet. Yeah I know he's isn't black.

But that's the only fair example you can find. Italy has a tradition of doing that to brasilian players.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
In the last pages I read a lot of bullshit. Notwithstanding that we could line up with the National team probably all of Argentina, the important thing is that those who play against us are always afraid. Classic example: Germany.

PS: I don't think Verratti is WC, Bernardeschi is an half-a-player. Romagnoli is way overrated. Didn't like the Mancini signing but only time will tell. Give this team to Conte and I know I can beat everyone that is not named France, at the moment.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
France clearly has a pool from which to draw that no one has. Maybe only England could, but they still have to understand how to play football.

If you mean more diverse geographical locations, sure, but it's not like they've got some empire of a billion people spread around the globe. All those overseas territories only add like 2-3 million people.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
If you mean more diverse geographical locations, sure, but it's not like they've got some empire of a billion people spread around the globe. All those overseas territories only add like 2-3 million people.

Yeah, It was a geographical, the fact remains that you have to develop them. Certainly they start from a base that many do not have or can not have.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Sorry? Lemar and Payet are born in France... :dunno:
I agree, but I guess I can see the argument when Guadaloupe and Reunion have their own FA. It's stupid, but I can see where it would be made.

But to make that argument while talking up Italy is silly given Jorginho, Emerson, and Eder.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I agree, but I guess I can see the argument when Guadaloupe and Reunion have their own FA. It's stupid, but I can see where it would be made.

But to make that argument while talking up Italy is silly given Jorginho, Emerson, and Eder.

Except Guadaloupe and Reunion aren't FIFA members.

The only way a player from there can play in the top level of competitive international matches is by representing France.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad