2018 UEFA Nations League

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
De Gea completley conned the referee. No way that should have been ruled off. Poor officiating. Should have finished 2-2

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
De Gea completley conned the referee. No way that should have been ruled off. Poor officiating. Should have finished 2-2

It's not an easy call to make.
If I were an England fan, I'd want it allowed - and could make a case for it.
If I were a Spanish fan, I'd want it disallowed - and could make a case for it.

Personally, I'd let that stand, but Wellback does move underneath DDG and I can see a case for it to be called a foul.

So... For me, it's not a foul, but it's definitely not a clear cut decision either way.

Ref was mostly rubbish regardless of that. That "foul" when Stones slid in and took the ball away from Rodrigo was hilarious.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
This competition lacks tradition therefore it lacks soul. It remains to be seen whether this is going to be a lasting thing.

I think most of all it's a poor format, if it was done properly I think it would have better chances whatever the traditions.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
2-2 would've been a fair result. Stones somehow got a yellow for that tackle. Dutch ref was terrible. Lingard's 'foul' won the ball cleanly which would have set up a counter. Rashford had a couple of good chances, should have scored one of them, the header was more difficult.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
This Oranje line up. I’m embarrassed players such as Propper and Babel are actually starting. Both should be benchwarmers but I’d rather not even selected. Wijnaldum is also poop in Oranje. We’re not even playing 4-3-3.

I want Promes and Bergwijn.

Looking forward to Frenkie de Jong, but we’ll get over run hardcore, so I won’t be having a lot of fun.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
How come Xhaka looks so good with Swiss NT?

In WC he outplayed SMS head2head and has a history of good performances for them. Is it with how is deployed for them?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Lol at Sky sports, super biased.

They had the Denmark - Wales game at 50/50 Possession.

All other places have it 56/44 Denmark..

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Cilessen didn't touch that ball = penalty.
Though since Pavard fouled earlier in his box, that 1-1 in terms of missed penalty calls.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
After a great game against Germany, not the best save attempt by Areola, which lead to the goal. Holland has been better lately.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yup, that wasn't a good goal to give up because he touched the ball. Though to be fair, it was hit from 5 meters away, so he didn't have any time to react.

Mendy's crosses were missed ! Now let's get rid of Pavard at RB please.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Great defense from VVD here on Mbappe. Only Liverpool player that actually played a decent game. Wij was obviously average (at best).

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Yup, that wasn't a good goal to give up because he touched the ball. Though to be fair, it was hit from 5 meters away, so he didn't have any time to react.

Mendy's crosses were missed ! Now let's get rid of Pavard at RB please.
Mendy's crossing quality was missed, but look at him on the Dutch goal. This is exactly what Pep was talking about after the Arsenal game. So much quality, but lacks defensive discipline.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, he does. He's also 22. He'll get better defensively. Umtiti has had a weaker game than Mendy I'd say. And nobody doubts him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Besides, on the other side of the pitch is Pavard who is much worse defensively and doesn't propose much offensively.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think some traditionally great football nations have their work cut out for the near future.

Italy is struggling and it's not looking like it's going to get better THAT quickly. Other than aging Chiellini, and a Bonucci who needs to make a comeback season, the only player close to being "world class" is maybe Insigne. Jorginho I'm still on the fence about, I think he's great at distribution, but melts under press - he was horrible vs Poland.
Zappacosta, Braghi, Gagliardini, even Berna... These are not great players, and Italy shouldn't be surprised if they're failing to compete and look a serious team compared to Germany or France.

Holland has got some talent coming up but it still looks very ordinary. 2 or 3 players (De Ligt, De Jong, etc.) but it's all rather pedestrian compared to the great Dutch sides of the past.

I don't know how long smaller nations like Belgium and Croatia can keep their squads from declining, but they've done work recently, pumped out quality footballers and they've got some talent coming up as well.

Italy, Holland, even England (Southgate's England I think gets away with stuff because of the WC semi, but they've not beaten a top-20 side yet)... I think all would be 2nd favorites to France, Germany, Spain, Croatia and Belgium atm.
And these 3 traditional football super powers.

If anything, I think some nations with quality footballers but without delusions of grandeur are closer to making a breakthrough at the EURO - like Denmark.
Don't get me wrong, in the WC final. France won the game and it was over after 60 minutes and the 3rd goal, but Croatia dominated play for those 60 minutes, an unfortunate series of events, ref decisions and France being pragmatic like great teams are, putting them behind and the game beyond Croatia's reach.
But noone gave us as much trouble as Denmark. Very tight, very organized, compact, without suffering from some delusions thinking they need to offer jogo bonito, and some serious players in their side to give them quality to compete.
So, yeah, Denmark is just as likely to go on a deep run as Holland or Italy, IMO, if not more.

Spain vs England and France vs Holland both looked like mismatches, where one team just stepped on the gas when needed and decided to win the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->