2018 UEFA Nations League

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Obviously nothing close to major tournament but I still enjoyed the first Nations League season. That finals was pretty fun too

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
This win doesn't mean that Portugal qualified for the EC finals, right? If they don't qualify from their EC qual group, they would need to play against some other Nations League group winner?

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
With the talent at their disposal Portugal could be so much more dominant and fun to watch, but Santos shackles them so much with his tactics and player selections. The little f***er won again though so he's staying until they crash and burn and have no choice...hope he doesnt ruin this generation.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
This win doesn't mean that Portugal qualified for the EC finals, right? If they don't qualify from their EC qual group, they would need to play against some other Nations League group winner?

They would play in the playoffs against anybody from League A who didn’t qualify automatically. However it’s likely most of not all League A teams will qualify (Iceland is one I think who may not). The rest of the playoff spots will be filled by the highest ranking non group winners (Northern Ireland, Bulgaria, Romania etc).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Portugal have a great team and generation coming up. Deserved the win today but still proud of this transitioning Oranje.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
They would play in the playoffs against anybody from League A who didn’t qualify automatically. However it’s likely most of not all League A teams will qualify (Iceland is one I think who may not). The rest of the playoff spots will be filled by the highest ranking non group winners (Northern Ireland, Bulgaria, Romania etc).

Thanks. I understand they're are different tournaments, but it's still bit weird that even if you officially win the Nations League, you have to play again against some lower team just to qualify.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Thanks. I understand they're are different tournaments, but it's still bit weird that even if you officially win the Nations League, you have to play again against some lower team just to qualify.

It is weird but you can't really award them a place at the Euros for winning the Nations League at this point when they've only played two of their eight matches in their qualifying group.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It’s the equivalent of a club super cup. I didn’t even know this thing was until like 3 days ago. No mention on my soccer app either lol.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It’s the equivalent of a club super cup. I didn’t even know this thing was until like 3 days ago. No mention on my soccer app either lol.
I really enjoyed it and it was pretty clear the teams and players were very into it. I think it'll get better and it was a lot of fun.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
who are the future dutch attackers and when will they be ready for the national team? depay babel and bergwyn arent good enough.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I'm going to make my own cup and it will be glorious.... you're not invited tho.
Ya but at the minimum, yours won’t have real life implications to it such as Germany seeing their results here having opting into pot 2 for the next qualifying cycle for a real tournament.

If they catch a true power house from pot 1 and are forced into a playoff to qualify for a major tournament, they may look back with regret for not preforming better here. I think UEFA will continue to push this thing and force consequences to teams who don’t do well. Someone’s pride in Germany must also be hurt by the fact they were relegated into the B league of the next edition of this comp too.

But anyway, if you go back to the starting lineups even from the group games in this tournament, it’s not like managers were trotting out friendly type starting lineups in the least.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You don't know my power.

All I see is a lot of hypotheticals and ifs
It’s not a hypothetical. Germany indeed was in pot 2 for the draw for euro 2020 qualifying groups, and their performance in the group stage of this tournament weighed into that. They could’ve easily caught France or Spain from pot 1.

I’m not trying to suggest this is any type of tournament with tremendous prestige. But sooner or later someone will get burned by crapping the bed in it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It’s not a hypothetical. Germany indeed was in pot 2 for the draw for euro 2020 qualifying groups, and their performance in the group stage of this tournament weighed into that. They could’ve easily caught France or Spain from pot 1.

I’m not trying to suggest this is any type of tournament with tremendous prestige. But sooner or later someone will get burned by crapping the bed in it.

"If they catch a true power house from pot 1 and are forced into a playoff to qualify for a major tournament, they may look back with regret for not preforming better here"

That bit was the hypothetical. This tournament is BS as is club world cup, Super cup or what ever plastic thing they think of next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad