2018 UEFA Nations League

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Because of a supporter problem, OM once sent its youth team to Paris for a game against PSG.
0-0 draw.
These guys would never even beat a OM youth team. This is really, REALLY low level.

I will buy you a beer if they do not loose :popcorn::thumbu:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
A guy in my work was talking about the Denmark game today, wanting to put a bet on when they were 14/1, quite confident that the issue would subsequently be resolved. Chortle.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Not available in Canada....unless one orders DAZN. I have Bein sports and sportworld canada but that does not cut it. Not buying DAZN until it becomes more mainstream

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Why is this a thing?

Michel-Platini-007.jpg

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Does this have any impact on UEFA qualifying in any way?

Or is this just a pure exhibition designed to structure friendlies in between qualifiers?

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
From my understanding no direct spots at Euro 2020 will be determined by the Nations League...but the results of the NL will be used for seeding rather than the UEFA coefficients. Also the NL will be used to provide the playoff teams for the final 4 Euro 2020 spots.

Basically in Euro 2016 qualifying the 3rd place teams in the group made the playoffs, that no longer will be the case, the playoffs will be the highest ranked teams from the NL not to qualify for the Euros through the regular qualifying, but I think each League will get a guaranteed spot, so the League D champions will be in the playoffs regardless where they finish in the qualifying group

It's still all confusing to me but I think that's the jist of it

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Each group in the A league has multiple powerhouses. Secondary tournament or not, I don’t think being relegated to the B league for the following season would be good look for a Germany or France or Spain for example.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That could get back to haunt me (well not really, this is a friendly), but Muller seems like a bottom league player right now. He's embarrassing.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don't get why they are trying to make exhibition games worth something, i'm surprised a network even picked it up. I mean what money could be in this???
When looking at the starting 11 of both France and Germany right now, and considering fitness, it seems that UEFA is getting them to treat this as more than a friendly already. The big two tournaments this will never come close to touching, but unless someone hates international football (and I understand the arguments, especially for true club football lovers), this will be better than random, unbalanced friendlies.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
GER v FRA has been pretty boring so far. Doesn't really feel like a meaningful game.
Whether anyone is a fan of this tournament or not, these games are official according to UEFA and they will effect FIFA ranking in accordance.

This group for example has France, Germany and Holland. One of these teams will be relegated into the B league for the next nations league season. That will have heavy impact on seeding for future tournaments and qualification rounds for those tournaments.

Look what happened to Italy when they lost their usual top seeding and were forced into a qualification group with Spain. I can’t imagine any of these nations will nonchalant about a relegation. Maybe if there was no implications into the tournament they do take seriously, but there are implications.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Danish players temporarily have worked out their issues with their FA and will play Wales with their standard team

And koyvoo beat me to it, I think a lot of these League A matches will be tight because none of the big sides want to get relegated. While matches in the lower leagues should be a lot more open, the majority of them really have nothing to lose, especially the lower you go

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
When looking at the starting 11 of both France and Germany right now, and considering fitness, it seems that UEFA is getting them to treat this as more than a friendly already. The big two tournaments this will never come close to touching, but unless someone hates international football (and I understand the arguments, especially for true club football lovers), this will be better than random, unbalanced friendlies.

I guess they fielded decent lineups but Gemany and France won't struggle to qualidy for the 2 big competitions. So i'm not sure what the incentive is for them to really try. You also have domestic league season and Europa/Champions League. It seems like a taxing competition with no reward. Europa used to be the same.

I see that Wales is killing Ireland 3-0 for example. Ireland is not a bad team, made the World Cup. I think if they tried at worst they would draw Wales. So like mentioned I think it's a small nation's wet dream to an extent. A big country will still likely win it but you'll actually see some upsets because I don't think teams will care badly.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's not friendlies..but for teams that assume they will ace their qualifying groups it may as well be. I think Germany should have something to prove here, but it's also not exactly an easy opponent to just wallop.

This is also the least favorite international window of pretty much all players in the major leagues, so they may say the right thing in the interview but in their mind think about how bad it would be to get injured here.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Whether anyone is a fan of this tournament or not, these games are official according to UEFA and they will effect FIFA ranking in accordance.

This group for example has France, Germany and Holland. One of these teams will be relegated into the B league for the next nations league season. That will have heavy impact on seeding for future tournaments and qualification rounds for those tournaments.

Look what happened to Italy when they lost their usual top seeding and were forced into a qualification group with Spain. I can’t imagine any of these nations will nonchalant about a relegation. Maybe if there was no implications into the tournament they do take seriously, but there are implications.

Feels like another way for UEFA to make money. I think thats dirty to make this thing matter when these guys have other obligations. Atleast EURO and the WC are in the summer. I highly doubt the ever corrupt UEFA or FIDA are struggling financially. This could hurt the quality of the domestic league seasons.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I guess they fielded decent lineups but Gemany and France won't struggle to qualidy for the 2 big competitions. So i'm not sure what the incentive is for them to really try. You also have domestic league season and Europa/Champions League. It seems like a taxing competition with no reward. Europa used to be the same.

I see that Wales is killing Ireland 3-0 for example. Ireland is not a bad team, made the World Cup. I think if they tried at worst they would draw Wales. So like mentioned I think it's a small nation's wet dream to an extent. A big country will still likely win it but you'll actually see some upsets because I don't think teams will care badly.
I dont think I’d argue that Germany or France necessarily care to win it, but I can’t imagine they’d be ok with relegation into the B league next season. That would effect seeding in tournaments that they do care about.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It's not friendlies..but for teams that assume they will ace their qualifying groups it may as well be. I think Germany should have something to prove here, but it's also not exactly an easy opponent to just wallop.

This is also the least favorite international window of pretty much all players in the major leagues, so they may say the right thing in the interview but in their mind think about how bad it would be to get injured here.

Germany played lousy in the WC, no doubt. It wasn't the group of death but Sweden and Mexico are decent. It's the korea loss that's the real issue. They shouldn't lose to Korea.

But the bottomline point matters. You're in season, just started, why bust your ass for this?

I hope this isnt annual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->