U18: 2018 U18 WJC's Magnitogorsk & Chelyabinsk Russia.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
In previous years, the USA had separate U18 and U17 teams that played a half season in the USHL. This year, the USNDP fielded a U17 team in the USHL for the full season, and are currently in the USHL playoffs. However, the utilize a huge roster, so half of them are at the U18s, the other half are in the USHL playoffs. (I think I got that right)

Slovakia uses a similar model with their U20 team, as they play in the Slovakian Extraleague, albeit only 20 games per season.

Not true. The NTDP U17 and U18 are still separate teams with separate coaching staffs, both play games separately in the USHL, and their combined record in games versus USHL opponents gets listed in the standings as Team USA. Games played by either squad against non-USHL opponents do not count in the USHL standings. This would include international tournaments for both teams, and games against NCAA opponents for the U18 team. If Team USA qualifies for the USHL playoffs, as they did this year, the U17 team plays in the postseason. The U18 team always plays in the IIHF U18 World Championship. This is the first year since the program moved to Plymouth that they have qualified for the USHL playoffs.

FYI, I've been a season ticket holder for the NTDP since they relocated to Plymouth, Michigan from Ann Arbor three years ago.

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Two goals on empty net in that 5-1.

Doesn't USA U18 have their national team playing together the entire season in some league. I don't give any respect to that. It's almost like cheating. No other nation does that. Of course USA has advantage over any team with this system even if their team would otherwise be worse than some other team in talent.

So its cheating because no other countries are doing this type of program ? USA hockey is trying to develop kids at an early age with USHL, as an example, to compete better. Its inventive if anything. Not cheating.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Two goals on empty net in that 5-1.

Doesn't USA U18 have their national team playing together the entire season in some league. I don't give any respect to that. It's almost like cheating. No other nation does that. Of course USA has advantage over any team with this system even if their team would otherwise be worse than some other team in talent.
The US isnt even the first to do this at any age level. The Euro teams are playing U18 tournaments throughout the entire year, its not like they havent played together.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
The US isnt even the first to do this at any age level. The Euro teams are playing U18 tournaments throughout the entire year, its not like they havent played together.

That's actually a good point I didn't think of. Does team USA U18 play against Canada or something during the year outside U18 World Championships? Team USA having two matches against U18 Canada would be almost the same thing as Finland playing against Sweden, Russia and Czech in a span of 3-4 days.

Canada is certainly the biggest loser out of the top countries when it comes to these systems. They don't get the Euro games and they don't have their national team playing a full long season together. All respect to them for that. Maybe that is one reason why they didn't go further this year.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
So its cheating because no other countries are doing this type of program ? USA hockey is trying to develop kids at an early age with USHL, as an example, to compete better. Its inventive if anything. Not cheating.

Not cheating. Its a good strategy that other countries will no doubt follow. Russia started an U18 national team a few years ago, but for some strange reason abandoned it. That was a mistake.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Not cheating. Its a good strategy that other countries will no doubt follow. Russia started an U18 national team a few years ago, but for some strange reason abandoned it. That was a mistake.

To me, complaining about the US cheating because they have a dedicated team would be like complaining the kid beside you got a better score on the test because he studied more than you did.

Reactions: Keke and JiggsNY

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The whole meldonium issue in 2016 kinda forced them to abandon it.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That's actually a good point I didn't think of. Does team USA U18 play against Canada or something during the year outside U18 World Championships? Team USA having two matches against U18 Canada would be almost the same thing as Finland playing against Sweden, Russia and Czech in a span of 3-4 days.

Canada is certainly the biggest loser out of the top countries when it comes to these systems. They don't get the Euro games and they don't have their national team playing a full long season together. All respect to them for that. Maybe that is one reason why they didn't go further this year.

The U18 NTDP team plays in the Five Nations Tournament each year against the U18 teams from Sweden, Finland, Russia and the Czech Republic. Canada does not participate in this tournament.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

Well they abandoned it because they were caught doping the team with meldonium, and it seems like half that team were exiled to North America afterwards.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Slovakia and Belarus do a u18 team thing too I believe. It's a good strategy imo and it seems to be showing results.

Reactions: LAINEC

Babula

May 31, 2012
i would like the competition of u18 and u20 for pan-europian league. in some league model...

red bull salzburg is starting in u18 Czech league for the start... :)

Reactions: Pan

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Attendance record already brokek. As expected. Russian hockey cities outside disinterested Moscow should get more tournaments.

Reactions: Jablkon

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
That is true, but the solution is to have a national team that doesn't use Meldonium.
Well with the way sports organizations across the world have been treating Russia lately I don't see happening for a while unfortunately. Its a shame really, Russian program had a lot of potential.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Can somebody link or add here USA lineup? Thank you. Numbers too, easier to follow.
Db9M6kQX4AUL8jF.jpg:large

Reactions: Ranksu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad