WC: 2018 - Team Switzerland

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Decision on Meier probably tonight. He wants to play. If it works out that quickly he could possibly play und Wednesday.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Timo is coming!!!! So nice.

And he's already on his way, in Copenhagen tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby G

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
As the chemistry of Corvi/Niederreiter with Hofman didn't click yet maybe that could be an option. Or pair him with Andrighetto with Vermin in between.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I thought so as well, but then it would probably mean that Hofmann is out of the lineup. I'm not sure I'd renounce his goal scoring potential yet.

Of course there is at least one more game, probably even two, before he can play. Enough time for other lines to click.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'm pretty sure he'll play vs. Belarus. Maybe even vs. the Czechs. In a reduced role, maybe as 13th forward. Fischer probably relies for this on how Meier feels.

Hofmann could replace Riat on the other line. Riat was solid but not more yet. And he could play as 13th forward with PP-duties.
Best thing is you don't need Baltisberger on the first PP-unit anymore. Place Meier there.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I guess he will be in Copenhagen tomorrow already, but playing already might be a bit tough. I hope he handles west to east jet lag better than I do :laugh:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I guess he will be in Copenhagen tomorrow already, but playing already might be a bit tough. I hope he handles west to east jet lag better than I do :laugh:

He'd better fly they other way round indeed:huh::D

It's fantastic. A lot of option how to integrate him into the team.
As mentioned Riat would probably be the odd man out.

I agree about Hofmann. Give him another 2 games to adapt before shoveling him down the line-up. If he gets going, he'd be an important piece.

So, loading the 2nd line with talent, or spread it over the 2nd and 3rd?
Having a backup option Meier-Andrighetto to fall back to would be great. I'd probably try to spread the talent. Moser and Meier can both physicaly lead a line, so I'd keep them apart. Which leads to Moser- Andrighetto and Scherwey-Meier combos, I'd try that. Rod back on the 4th.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, there's an interview on the facebook page of the Swiss federation in which he says that he'll play tomorrow.

Reactions: Bobby G

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So Andrighetto with Corvi and Niederreiter, Hofmann with Haas and Baltisberger, Vermin line unchanged. I guess it means that Meier will play with Hofmann and Haas if those combinations works well tonight.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
It's a logical choice and makes sense. Baltisberger is probably the most "expendable" player, this way you can still try to fully use Hoffmann's upsides without messing up too much with players that showed chemistry

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Another solid effort, deserved point, unlucky not to get another one. There were some unlucky moments, especially when Hofmann broke that stick on a 4-4. I thought Kukan and Untersander were excellent, Diaz also. Mueller not as good as on Sunday. Frick and Fora do their job. On Offence (beside the obvious leaders) Rod had a heck of a game, many blocked shots and a strong two-way game. Riat will probably the 13th attacker tomorrow.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Lots of positive today despite the loss, four goals scored, the power was much better although still a bit sloppy at times, and good defensive performance in the third period and OT. Too bad for those unlucky goals allowed. Haas and Hofmann worked well together, but I'm still not sure what the best spot for Andrighetto is, or who the right linemate for Corvi and Niederreiter is. I also tought that Scherwey's offensive potential was a bit wasted on the fourth line.

I'm confident for tomorrow, but it's really stupid to play the afternoon game after playing tonight. Hopefully it won't have any impact.

And finally..... Winnipeg, why???

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not a good game today, but I guess it's a positive to win despite such a poor performance. Obviously the legs were a bit heavy after yesterday's game, but this is no excuse for all the missed passes and the attitude shown during the PPs in the third period.

The good news is, Andrighetto had his best game and seems to have found his spot, and it only took Meier one period to find his. Kukan's first game looks like a distant memory, he's been very good again today, and the Diaz-Müller pair was once again convincing. Not a good game by Niederreiter though, but given his performance so far in this tournament you can't blame him for an off day.

Now two days of rest followed by two games with less pressure, great position to be in. It could even be possible to secure a quarterfinal spot before the game against France.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I guess we have seen the last game of Genazzi. If Nashville wins we may see Siegenthaler on Saturday. Genazzi just isn't at his best and with Untersander and Diaz you don't need his pp-duties. Untersander is having a great tournament, by the way. His skating isn't an issue and also got better. He's battling hard and hardly looses a duel. And with an improved Kukan on his side it's a great 2nd pairing. And I also think we see the best Diaz we saw for quite some time. A true #1 defencemen.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
I guess we have seen the last game of Genazzi. If Nashville wins we may see Siegenthaler on Saturday. Genazzi just isn't at his best and with Untersander and Diaz you don't need his pp-duties. Untersander is having a great tournament, by the way. His skating isn't an issue and also got better. He's battling hard and hardly looses a duel. And with an improved Kukan on his side it's a great 2nd pairing. And I also think we see the best Diaz we saw for quite some time. A true #1 defencemen.

I agree with that. Both top pairs are doing a great job. Diaz and Mueller are often the starting point of dangerous offensive actions. Untersander was very visible right from the start, and Kukan has improved a lot since the first match, which wasn't good, and is now on par with him.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
hey fiala, josi and weber can come .

with them i think you guys can be a real contenter for medal .

Roman Josi - Mirco Müller
Raphael Diaz - Yannick Weber
Ramon Untersander - Dean Kukan

Simon Moser - Enzo Corvi - Nino Niederreiter
Sven Andrighetto - Joel Vermin - Kevin Fiala
Gregory Hofmann - Gaëtan Haas - Timo Meier
Tristan Scherwey - Reto Schäppi - Noah Rod

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
How many open spot are there? Can all the three of them be registered?
Both Frick and Fora have been solid, it would suck (for them) lose the spot just because of some unlucky results in the NHL playoff. Don't care much about Genazzi though.
Of course Josi and Weber are better, it is just a little sad to see someone lose a spot that was earned with hard work.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
On the other side that forward line up is a hell of lineup. Probably the strongest Swiss team I've witnesses, on paper.

Reactions: torero

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, just two open spot. And if all 3 are healthy it's probably Josi+Fiala. We'll see how fast that everything works out (Meier was blazing fast in Copenhagen) and if they are able to play on Sunday vs. Sweden or just the last game vs. France.

Edit: Swiss icehockey asked Nashville for a release for all three players, which probably means that all three agreed to play. If all three are allowed to go the staff will decide later which 2 get the call.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->