WC: 2018 - Team Switzerland

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
This swiss only PP- formation from Lugano is really a treat to watch, could be worth for Fischer to look at. The harmony between Fazzini and Hofmann is extraordinary. Both outstanding shooters who like to feed of eachother. (Fazzini might got the best combo of technique, aim and power in his shot, I've ever seen from a swiss player.It's really a shame he's missing the athletism for the international level).
And Hofmann, when in the zone, is such an electrifying player. When he's playing like that, he's got very good timing, his hands are quick enough to keep up with his feet, and his head is quick enough to keep up with his hands. Still, makes you wonder, how his game completely falls into peaces, when he's off his game.

I still think, he's missing a couple of kg, so that he can not only hustle, but acctually win some boardbattles in the NT.

His Play-off performance could bring him a step further, one could hope.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yesterday's game also illustrated why Fazzini shouldn't be anywhere near the national team. Twice he should have been the first forward back on the backcheck, but both times he was too slow and it resulted in a huge scoring opportunity (Suter hitting the post in the first period and that shorthanded breakaway with seconds left in the second period). Unfortunately pure snipers aren't very useful in international hockey if they can't keep up with the speed.

On the other hand, Geering, Furrer, Hofmann and Suter are all having outstanding playoffs. Schäppi and Herzog should also definitely make it.

I'm not sure what to think of potential depth defensemen. Sutter is ok, but he didn't take the step forward I hoped he would when he was cut just before the WC last year. I've never been a big fan of Baltisberger, and although I must admit he improved a lot this season, I'm still not convince he could keep up with the speed of international hockey. Marti has the same problem, but I guess that both would be an upgrade over Paschoud. Wellinger is having great playoffs, but I'm not sure I'd take him without seeing him in an exhibition game.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Siegenthaler will join the camp next week. It will be interesting to see what he can do, although I'd be surprised if he's improved enough over this season to be WC caliber.

Lammer is out with a foot injury. He probably wouldn't have made it anyway, but he would have deserved a chance to show whether he can produce with the added offensive depth.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Earlier than next week, if I read that correctly. It says Thursday 19th at earliest. So maybe he can play on Saturday. I'm really curious to see him and see how he progressed.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
A guy with the physical tools and skating ability of Siegenthaler seems to be made for international hockey. Let's hope he has improved the rest of his game so much that he makes himself an option. A player like him would suit the team well.

As been stated beside Geering and Furrer, nobody from the final series would significantly improve the defense.

The timing of my post about the Lugano PP yesterday was indeed on point. Thought the same shortly afterwards, when Sannitz made this bad pass and Fazzini had this terrible showcase on the backchecking. Im on the same boat about Fazzini, he isn't quick and strong enough for his size to be effective unfortunately. His smarts and skills on the offense would be very welcomed.

What I meant acctually was, the way they play the triangle, Hofmann and Fazzini both standing pretty high as standard, before closing in, which is only effective if you got excellent shooters and to be a threat from high up there. And both got the quick moves to create some space and time to play through the box as well. Not only the typical modern, pass until the defenseman has space for a one-timer. That's what I hoped Fischer would look at.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
IMO Yesterday's PO final game really was a treat to watch, one of the best games I've seen for quite some time in the NLA after a lot of so-so hockey through out this season. Maybe not always from the coaches' view, but the entertainment value was very high. High intensity, but fair, not too tactical, but a lot of heart, surprisingly often up-and-down competition through Period 1 and 2. A lot of players had good moments on both sides.

It's been a long time since Wick and Kenins has been engaged in the game like that. Vauclair still rolling is impressive. Walker had his best game so far, could be an option again for the 4th line for Fischer. Lugano's 4th line had his moments. Prassl shows play-off intensity and is fearless, looks much more seasoned that he acctually is at the moment as a center. If he keeps this up, he could get interesting in the future.

Miranda had a very good season before, best forward at the u-20 WHC and a steady season with the GCK Lions and as the cherry on the cake this Play-offs with Zürich. After 2 years with average development and rising questionmarks about his game intensity, toughness, leadership qualities and will to improve, I had never expected, what we see now a year later. He's absolutely in the game, every shift. And rightfully he moved up to the top 9 yesterday, when Baltisberger got injured/benched (?) and they only played 3 lines anymore. Of course he has to get stronger to be more effective. The rest of his game always was intriguing. Excellent, smooth, elegant and shifty skater, but not strong enough on his skates yet. Fine and quick hands, reads the game very well in the offense and a quick precise shot, which he could use a bit more often. Even as a double-overager, I wouldn't be surprised if he would be picked late in this year's draft eventually. Should be a valuable force in the future.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
What I meant acctually was, the way they play the triangle, Hofmann and Fazzini both standing pretty high as standard, before closing in, which is only effective if you got excellent shooters and to be a threat from high up there. And both got the quick moves to create some space and time to play through the box as well. Not only the typical modern, pass until the defenseman has space for a one-timer. That's what I hoped Fischer would look at.

Hofmann played in a similar position during the 2016 WC (although the setup was usually coming from the point rather than across the box) so I'm sure Fischer is aware he can be used in this role. The only difference is that while Lugano uses a classic umbrella power play, Fischer seems set on using a 1-3-1, but it's still possible to have the player in the middle go closer to the net to open the pass across the box. That was tried at the Spengler cup with Hofmann on the right and Suter on the left.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Hofmann played in a similar position during the 2016 WC (although the setup was usually coming from the point rather than across the box) so I'm sure Fischer is aware he can be used in this role. The only difference is that while Lugano uses a classic umbrella power play, Fischer seems set on using a 1-3-1, but it's still possible to have the player in the middle go closer to the net to open the pass across the box. That was tried at the Spengler cup with Hofmann on the right and Suter on the left.

Thx for clarifying that. It's impressive how many details you tend to remember. For me it's more like that: the more hockey I've seen in my life, the less reliable are my memories. Sometimes I can remember games in details, but others totally disappear into oblivian.

Do I remember correctly, that 2016 everything was worse than 2017 except the PP? I mean Berra was bad 2 years ago as was the PK and the results I remember that, but the PP was pretty ok, wasn't it? (As were the prep. games by Hofmann)

What I remember most from the Spengler-cup, was the speed and energy level they showcased especially at the beginning. I don't remember the PP in detail however. While Suter has the shot to be possibly effective, as a leftie, he's got the stick on the wrong side for one-timers. So it was basically Suter playmaking, and looking for Hofmann to shoot?

Im probably wrong (for a lifetime :confused:), but hasn't the "classic umbrella" no real screen players, but in Lugano's case Sannitz and Walker would move out of the crease a bit sideways beyond the posts on both sides. (Of course it's only a short way for both to get into a screening position). And the modern adaption of the umbrella would be, what Lugano is playing with one constantly and a second mostly as a screen?

Anyways wether umbrella, overlapsed, 1-3-1 or any other structure, most important always will be that the guys can adapt to real game scenarios, staying flexible and unpredictable, switching between structures if needed (and wanted by coaches). Lugano's PP looks quite unpredictable.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Thx for clarifying that. It's impressive how many details you tend to remember. For me it's more like that: the more hockey I've seen in my life, the less reliable are my memories. Sometimes I can remember games in details, but others totally disappear into oblivian.

I've always had a good memory for that kind of useless things for some reason. I can remember watching Krutov's ZSC destroying Olten 7-0 during 91-92 season :silly:.

Do I remember correctly, that 2016 everything was worse than 2017 except the PP? I mean Berra was bad 2 years ago as was the PK and the results I remember that, but the PP was pretty ok, wasn't it? (As were the prep. games by Hofmann)

The power play was pretty good indeed, as was the overall offensive play. However this team was exactly like Fischer's Lugano, way too risky and allowing countless 2 on 1 or 3 on 1.

What I remember most from the Spengler-cup, was the speed and energy level they showcased especially at the beginning. I don't remember the PP in detail however. While Suter has the shot to be possibly effective, as a leftie, he's got the stick on the wrong side for one-timers. So it was basically Suter playmaking, and looking for Hofmann to shoot?

That's what I remember. I even complained about one specific case when Suter wanted to set up Hofmann with a cross ice pass but Hofmann didn't read the play well and didn't get open.

Im probably wrong (for a lifetime :confused:), but hasn't the "classic umbrella" no real screen players, but in Lugano's case Sannitz and Walker would move out of the crease a bit sideways beyond the posts on both sides. (Of course it's only a short way for both to get into a screening position). And the modern adaption of the umbrella would be, what Lugano is playing with one constantly and a second mostly as a screen?

Not that modern, that's the way I learned to play it many years ago :laugh:. The two players in front of the net have to read the play and decide if they should screen the goalie, look for a deflection or leave the crease and offer a passing lane when the players playing in the circle have the puck.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It's such a pleasure to watch Pius Suter, what an amazing player, at 21. Still shocked that he was not drafted.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I've always had a good memory for that kind of useless things for some reason. I can remember watching Krutov's ZSC destroying Olten 7-0 during 92-92 season :silly:.

This would have never happened with Kent Ruhnke still around in Olten:cf:

I do remember that season pretty well, as it was the 2nd year, I went to some games in the old Hallenstadion. And the 1st year without adults :cool:

I'm not sure if it was the first game I've ever seen (on TV). But the most lasting game I remember from the very old days, was at the OGs in Sarajevo, when the Udssr toyed around with Poland. Since then I've got a weak spot for russian craftmanship. And I was extremly excited about the Krutov deal. But unfortunately he played like washed-up Maradonna. Still brilliant technique, but the stamina totally gone...still better in shoot-outs than Pettersson:sarcasm:

The power play was pretty good indeed, as was the overall offensive play. However this team was exactly like Fischer's Lugano, way too risky and allowing countless 2 on 1 or 3 on 1.

Or too ambitious, depending from where you look at...

I mean such a complicate system, beside requesting a certain level of individual skills and passing quality, you need serious time to learn it. So you would have to teach it from the U-16 NT up to the seniors. What makes it nearly impossible right now, is that the deficit in the development of swiss juniors until they enter the U-16 international stage, compared to its peers is so big (and widening in tendency). So they have to focus more on basic stuff, then they would like. Overall I think the federation does a pretty good job at narrowing the gap on u-16 to U-20 level though.

Maybe it was just a bit premature?

Not that modern, that's the way I learned to play it many years ago :laugh:The two players in front of the net have to read the play and decided if they should screen the goalie, look for a deflection or leave the crease and offer a passing lane when the players playing in the circle have the puck.

:laugh:

Maybe it's time to look up and refresh my knowledge about some stuff.

thx anyway!

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Niederreiter is out but I still do not see him coming. It would be great but he looks like he desperately needs some rest to heal his ankle(?). He skates like he is carrying a smugglers backpack full of cigarettes over an alpine pass.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Solid team effort yesterday, lots of chances created against a defensively well organized team and Norway had trouble creating anything. The special team were ok, and there was some good 6 on 5 play at the end. The obvious problem was that no one was able to finish the numerous scoring chances.

Individually I thought that the Bern players were disappointing, apart from Scherwey. Untersander had his moments, Haas too but he can do a lot better, Bodenmann and Rüfenacht tried but didn't manage to do much, and Moser was probably the most disappointing as his presence in the slot would have been much needed, but Norway clearly dominated that area. Vermin had a good game, Corvi and Riat did well, and the Rod-Thürkauf-Scherwey energy line was very active early in the game but couldn't keep up the pace until the end.

On defense I still didn't like Genazzi, especially on the power play despite the goal. He just shoots too much when there are better plays available. Strange that he gets PP time above Loeffel and Diaz. Frick wasn't as good as last week, but Paschoud did fine. Senn had a good game, none of the goals are on him.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Niederreiter is out but I still do not see him coming. It would be great but he looks like he desperately needs some rest to heal his ankle(?). He skates like he is carrying a smugglers backpack full of cigarettes over an alpine pass.

If this is not the best metaphor of all time, I don't know what is! :laugh:

Seriously, I'm sure that Niederreiter was ready to play six more weeks of hockey if needed, he should be able to skate a few times in Copenhagen. Berra available too, that would be nice to add another goalie with WC experience. New Jersey and Colorado are one game away from elimination, although Andrighetto would help the team a lot more by winning his series! Columbus at 2-2. Would be great to add Müller and Kukan to the defense.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I think Nino would have signalised before the playoffs that he needs the time to recover. And Raffainer just said that he commited to play if nothing happens during the playoffs and the team releases him. And that could be the biggest problem I think.
Raffainer also didn't look too optimistic for Hischier, because he said that there is a history of blocking #1-drafts in the first season. Andrighetto, Mueller and Kukan would be nice (and should be realistic imho), Nino and Hischier would be a bonus.

Couldn't see the game yesterday, very keen to see Rod, Thürkauf and Siegenthaler today.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Very solid effort, the only bad thing is that it should have been 5:0 or 6:0.
Corvi was impressive. Haas had a good game too and Kilian Mottet still surprises, not only because of his goal. I like Rod, he brings a lot into this team. Thürkauf was solid, but nothing special. On the other side I'm not sold on Moser and Bodenmann. Moser will get his spot, no question. He was invisible for the first half of the game, later on he had his moments. Bodenmann is a solid, experienced player, no question, but I think it maybe should be the time to give his spot to a younger, rising guy.

On the defence I agree about Genazzi. He plays well in the D-zone, but he can play much better offensively which normally is his biggest strengths. Siegenthaler played well and got better as the game went on. Frick also had a very solid game. Untersander is a little bit shaky from time to time, but with the right partner this shouldn't be a big problem. Diaz made Paschoud look good tonight, but I guess he'll be out for next week.

Interesting days ahead, who is joining from the Lions (beside the obvious Geering, Suter, Schäppi and Herzog) and Lugano (Hofmann). And who is coming from the NHL. I'm still optimistic we can ice a decent team in Denmark.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Very solid effort, the only bad thing is that it should have been 5:0 or 6:0.
Corvi was impressive. Haas had a good game too and Kilian Mottet still surprises, not only because of his goal. I like Rod, he brings a lot into this team. Thürkauf was solid, but nothing special. On the other side I'm not sold on Moser and Bodenmann. Moser will get his spot, no question. He was invisible for the first half of the game, later on he had his moments. Bodenmann is a solid, experienced player, no question, but I think it maybe should be the time to give his spot to a younger, rising guy.

I agree with all of your points. Very similar game to Friday's, the difference being that Norway created even less. Corvi has been the most dangerous Swiss player over the entire camp, and Haas was much better than on Friday. It might still be too early for Thürkauf, although the potential is there. Moser disappointing so far.

On the defence I agree about Genazzi. He plays well in the D-zone, but he can play much better offensively which normally is his biggest strengths. Siegenthaler played well and got better as the game went on. Frick also had a very solid game. Untersander is a little bit shaky from time to time, but with the right partner this shouldn't be a big problem. Diaz made Paschoud look good tonight, but I guess he'll be out for next week.

Frick has been pretty convincing so far, I think he has an outside chance to make it. Genazzi on the other hand is still disappointing, I wouldn't be surprised if he is one of the cuts if both Müller and Kukan can come.

Interesting days ahead, who is joining from the Lions (beside the obvious Geering, Suter, Schäppi and Herzog) and Lugano (Hofmann). And who is coming from the NHL. I'm still optimistic we can ice a decent team in Denmark.

I would put Furrer among the obvious one. Hopefully he doesn't decide to retire.

Then I can't see any other Lugano player taken. Wellinger is having great playoffs, but I don't think he would get a WC spot without playing a single exhibition game. :eek::eek::eek::eek:i is also playing well, but he won't be taken ahead of Haas and Suter, and Corvi has shown too much so far to be cut. The last center will be a guy like Shäppi, Vermin or maybe Rod. Sannitz and Walker are also having great playoffs, but there are too many options with a better potential to build a checking line around.

From ZSC, Flüeler makes it if Berra doesn't come. The only forward who should get consideration, apart from the three obvious ones, is Baltisberger, but there are already many players ahead of him for a checking line spot. On defense, Sutter, Marti and Baltisberger have a chance, but if the two NHL players come and Siegenthaler has convincing games next week, I don't think they are upgrades over what's already available.

So we're looking at Genoni, Senn and one of Berra or Flüeler in goal. Then on defense a realistic best case scenario would be something like:

Diaz - Kukan
Geering - Furrer
Untersander -Müller
Loeffel - Fora/Siegenthaler

with Genazzi and Frick the next in line for a roster spot, which is a lot better than what we were expecting a few weeks ago.

Then at forward there are many possibilities. The good news is that Hollenstein has scored in three consecutive games, so a Hollenstein - Haas - Praplan line is still an option. Then Suter could play with Moser, possibly with Hofmann as it would be the closest to the Moser - Suter - Ambühl line that worked so well at the Olympics, although I am not sure any of Moser or Hofmann can play on the right. If not, it could be a spot for an NHL forward. Corvi will need a shooter to take advantage of his playmaking and a gritty player, which is a combination we already saw against Norway as he played with Riat and one of Moser/Vermin. That could be a good spot for Vermin, and the shooter could be Hofmann, who's been on fire in the playoffs. Riat could also be a possibility, but I'm not convinced by the number of scoring chances he's wasted so far. Then the fourth line should be build around Schäppi and Herzog, maybe with Rüfenacht, or maybe Rod or Thürkauf. Then there is Scherwey who should get a spot.
So in the end it might look like:

Hollenstein - Haas - Praplan
Moser - Suter - Niederreiter/Andrighetto
Hofmann - Corvi - Vermin
Herzog - Schäppi - Rüfenacht

and Scherwey who'd have the versatility to jump on any line. And that's without even considering the possibility of all three of Niederreiter, Andrighetto and Hischier coming.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
I would let Praplan home but would take Hollenstein. Not sure about Scherwey in the team too.
I didnt wait too much from America. We ll see who ll come but pretty sure Hischier wont be there, but we ll discover more tuesday or wednesday.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I tend to do the same. Hollenstein obviously played better the last three games while Praplan still was invisible. A player with the skillset of Praplan should dominate such games. And as we hopefully get at least one winger from NA (Nino maybe, either Andrighetto or Fiala seems sure for me) we could let Praplan find his game again to be ready for the Sharks next season.

I'd take Rod over Scherwey any second. He's just a better player overall.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
We need somebody like Gardner to put into the slot during pp ....in all the names I'm reading here I'm not seeing anyone like that aside from nino. But he may not come.
Which PP specialist plays in the slots of all the guys you are mentioning? Moser ? I am not seeing anyone and that will come back to haunt us. I hope nino comes

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Why no Hischier rumors ? He didnt seem injured yesterday.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Because NHL-organizations tend to block their high first-round picks in the first year when they played their first NHL-season at such a young age. We'll see how the Devils handle this. I'm pretty sure Nico would like to play.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
We need somebody like Gardner to put into the slot during pp ....in all the names I'm reading here I'm not seeing anyone like that aside from nino. But he may not come.
Which PP specialist plays in the slots of all the guys you are mentioning? Moser ? I am not seeing anyone and that will come back to haunt us. I hope nino comes

Gardner was a pretty unique player, you won't find anyone with the same skillset. From the current roster, Moser is by far the best player for this role, which is why everybody assumes he will make the team despite playing poorly against Norway. Then I guess the next best bets are guys like Herzog or Rüfenacht.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Because NHL-organizations tend to block their high first-round picks in the first year when they played their first NHL-season at such a young age. We'll see how the Devils handle this. I'm pretty sure Nico would like to play.

Now that Hischier didn't get the Calder nomination, the Devils need to make sure they don't let him down. :naughty:

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
Gardner was a pretty unique player, you won't find anyone with the same skillset. From the current roster, Moser is by far the best player for this role, which is why everybody assumes he will make the team despite playing poorly against Norway. Then I guess the next best bets are guys like Herzog or Rüfenacht.
The more I think about it,the more I believe Sannitz could fill that role. He is at the moment the best BP player Switzerland has, and is playing very well on the pp. I would be careful in dismissing him. Not a lot of player bring the same package (bp, pp , experience ) and could very well be a special situation specialist à la gardner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->