WC: 2018 - Team Switzerland

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The two first periods were very dissapointing, they just couldn't find a way into the game. And those two dumb penalties at the beginning didn't help either, maybe we'd have seen another game without Schäppis offensive-zone penalty there. Genoni was actually again solid, he tried to use the post to position himself on the 2nd goal but missed the post with his skate. Can't do anything on the other goals.

Untersander is just missing a little bit of speed on his skate to be a really good defender on this level. His vision and his strength in battles is really good, sometimes a little bit too risky.
Vermin didn't have a good game, also Corvi and Nino couldn't come out with the game a first line should show. With Scherwey it was a little bit better. Fiala got better as the game went on. Meier was indeed everywhere, he's not the great playmaker but his physical play combined with his skills and speed is quite unique. Josi was doing good, very solid, I'm sure there is more to come as he settled in.

With this roster you just have to beat France, they're a solid team, no question and they are always dangerous. But the difference in skill and speed is so big. They just have to stay out of the penalty-box and maybe play not that risky. And hope that the Slowaks don't beat Russia.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I'm always most anxious when they face Sweden out of the big6 nations. Even if the last win against Russia is further away.

IMO traditionally no other nation can make the swiss look as average as Sweden, finding easy plays in bunches, even toying with them, pretty much irrespective of the system the Swiss are/were playing.

Of course, with this year's swiss team and Fischer as a coach, playing a total collapsing defensive battle wouldn't work anyway. Everbody, especially in the d-zone, has to be much better than in the past. When it comes to winning one-on-one battles, protecting the puck and making a constructive, skillfull play out of the zone.

I truly think that the first 40 min. of yesterday's game were one of the most impressive level of plays, a swiss team ever faced. The pace, intensity and skilllevel was immensely high. Even our NHL-players seemed to struggle with it. It was a level of play, that you hardly ever face, even on NHL level.

None of the big nations takes Switzerland lightly anymore. Everybody respects the speed the Swiss can gain. And to prevent them from getting on a role, and overcome their deficits in skill and physicality on average, every team is absolutely ready to go out fullspeed from the 1st minute. Heavy forechecking is the solution against Switzerland, forcing them into though one-on-one battles on the d-side. There you can expose the still existing deficits and oppress the biggest swiss strengh, the transition game. It's been figured out for some years now.

That said, it's a risky plan to play like that. As when you are able to beat the forecheckers, there's a lot of free ice to counter-attack. And the Swiss are getting better and more used to the opposing pressure. There were quite a few situations yesterday, where the Swiss were able to win some battles, but the last pass out of the zone was a bit miss-timed and denied the counter-attack. If they manage to find this last pass under heavy pressure in the future, you force the forecheckers to be more conservative again.

The direction, they are going, is the right one IMO. The players can learn a lot. Much more, than if you just collapse, winning some 2-on-1 battles in the d-zone,clearing the zone and making a linechange. Even if it means, that the big nations sometimes have an easier life in our d-zone.

I don't think the competition will get tougher than yesterday, maybe Canada can play a similar level.

So if the Swiss somehow gain a QF-spot, and face one of FIN/USA, I don't think, they can be shocked anymore and there's a good chance, they could make it a very close one.

Overall, a lot of players had there struggles yesterday. Moser's and Fora's lack of speed was exposed (and Nino's and Untersander's on a lesser level). Others had their problems with the physical intensity (Vermin, Haas and mostly Hofmann)

I really liked Kukan and Diaz. And Frick keeps surprising. Even if he made some mistakes, the way he sometimes won d-battles with handskills and surprising turns and quick plays were really impressive. Even moreso considering it's his first tournament on this level.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
It's going to be very tough. What is needed is a perfect performance by everyone, for 60 minutes. During the Switzerland France game, the commentators said that last time Switzerland beat Finland in either the WC or OG was at the 1988 Olympics in Calgary... Ugh

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
It's going to be very tough. What is needed is a perfect performance by everyone, for 60 minutes. During the Switzerland France game, the commentators said that last time Switzerland beat Finland in either the WC or OG was at the 1988 Olympics in Calgary... Ugh
Well, before this tournament last time we lost to Germany was in 1993, so maybe you guys are due too?

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Well, before this tournament last time we lost to Germany was in 1993, so maybe you guys are due too?

I hope so. We also never beat Slovakia and this tournament we broke that record by winning 2-0.
Also against top teams we scored 3 goals twice (Sweden, Russia) and 4 goals (Czech). We need to be much better defensive wise to stand a chance against Finland, though. And seeing how Finland manhandled Canada (5-1) and the USA (6-2), things don't look promising.
A minor miracle is needed.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The two last games (2017, 2104) went to OT and shootout (both times Finland win). The Swiss team is probably the most talented ever (4 firstrounders, two 2nd rounders, one of them being Josi), it's all about defensive stability. And who scores first is always important.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Well ... :D

Our defence is a beauty. Josi&Diaz are a huge first pairing and what Kukan/Mueller are playing is NHL-calibre without any doubt. And Fora&Untersander rise with the challenge.

I watched many games with Muller /NJD (and Hischier) ... he is good. No question ...even on an NHL level. Even when he was with the Sharks ... i never understood why he was sent down and reappeared in NHL seldomly. He was good ... solid and great transition passes.

Kukan played like 5 or 6 games with Columbus. the first games were ... not convincing ... unlike the later games where he would simply be a legit D with poise and insurance. Then he got injured ... stayed out like 3 weeks and came back but was not alligned anymore ... Columbus was on a winning streak.

both are Very good IMO. True NHL level. No doubt.

Reactions: Pouliot

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I couldn't watch the game. Did I miss something? :D

Did you hear a roar coming from Ticino? That was me at the end of the game. I think that I was heard throughout central Europe & also that the neighbors are probably still hiding. Ahahahah

It's even sweeter for me when the game winning goal was by Hoffman, from HC Lugano (though when he failed to cover Nutivaara on the 1-0 I wasn't particularly happy).

By the way, the Ticino rinkside guy interviewed Corvi and asked him about how good was LEADERreiter (said it that way on purpose. Corvi was laughing).

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Did you hear a roar coming from Ticino? That was me at the end of the game. I think that I was heard throughout central Europe & also that the neighbors are probably still hiding. Ahahahah

It's even sweeter for me when the game winning goal was by Hoffman, from HC Lugano (though when he failed to cover Nutivaara on the 1-0 I wasn't particularly happy).

By the way, the Ticino rinkside guy interviewed Corvi and asked him about how good was LEADERreiter (said it that way on purpose. Corvi was laughing).

Oh, that was you! :laugh:

I acutally was at the Sweden-Latvia game in Copenhagen, and with two minutes left in the game all the Swedish fans around me were sitting nervously and suddenly a group of four Swiss guys started to celebrate like a goal was scored. :laugh:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

I acutally was at the Sweden-Latvia game in Copenhagen, and with two minutes left in the game all the Swedish fans around me were sitting nervously and suddenly a group of four Swiss guys started to celebrate like a goal was scored. :laugh:

why choose to watch sweden latvia when your home nation was playing .

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Ahahahah... They're probably going to do some Europe-based X-Files episode. Something like "The beast of Lugano"... Ahahahah

LOL!!! That's great! Ahahahah... So nice to be at the Worlds in person. I have only been once in 1998, bought a Sweden hat that I must still have somewhere.

Reactions: Jablkon

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Ahahahah... They're probably going to do some Europe-based X-Files episode. Something like "The beast of Lugano"... Ahahahah

LOL!!! That's great! Ahahahah... So nice to be at the Worlds in person. I have only been once in 1998, bought a Sweden hat that I must still have somewhere.

It's my 9th. I saw a few games in 98 too, Switzerland with the luckiest semifinal appearance ever, but that win against France was the beginning of the current era.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
It's my 9th. I saw a few games in 98 too, Switzerland with the luckiest semifinal appearance ever, but that win against France was the beginning of the current era.

Isn't it incredible how that started turning things around? Kruger with the decision to inject a lot more youth. It's not a coincidence that Switzerland started producing more and more higher draft players (if I remember it all started with Luca Cereda picked in the first round by the Leafs).

Many people don't know, but NLA weren't full pros until the 90s. Do you remember for example Roberto Triulzi? He had a part time job in the IT department of the company I was working for in the 80s, while at the same time he was winning championships with Lugano and going to the Worlds for Switzerland. And so were most of the other players. Back then the only full-time pros were the foreign players.
In the 90s that changed to full fledged pros and just a "short" 15-25 years later, Switzerland managed to get a silver at the Worlds and got their first ever 1st OA drafted. What an evolution.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
The first step towards pro hockey in Switzerland was Lugano hiring John Slettvoll to build a pro structure. Then followed the promotion to the top pool in 86, and some strong tournaments in 88, 91 and 92. The following years were chaotic to say the least, but Krueger's hiring and the ensuing 98 WC brought the needed stabillity.

(and Riesen was a first round pick two years before Cereda)

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The first step towards pro hockey in Switzerland was Lugano hiring John Slettvoll to build a pro structure. Then followed the promotion to the top pool in 86, and some strong tournaments in 88, 91 and 92. The following years were chaotic to say the least, but Krueger's hiring and the ensuing 98 WC brought the needed stabillity.

(and Riesen was a first round pick two years before Cereda)

Oh yes, I forgot about Michel Riesen. I had so much hope for him. He had a ton of talent. What a disappointment, NHL-wise.

Oh yes, Slettvoll & Lugano changed Swiss hockey. Not many Swiss fans of today know, but their (= Lugano's management) inspiration was to build a structure like the Italian serie A soccer teams, professionalism-wise.
They went about it in a very "scientific" way: they had a 5 year plan to win the title and identified personnel, methods and infrastructure to achieve the results they wanted. They did it in less than the forecasted 5 years. Six straight finals with four titles, first Swiss team to be in the final four of the Champions League (1987. I still have the program of that somewhere. It was shaped like a puck): the rest of the league had to evolve too to match that. What an era, if you were a Lugano fan. I saw all of it, starting with 1 March 1986 when I was in Davos as they won the first title by beating Davos 7-5, with 4 goals by Kent Johansson and Jorg Eberle out running Ron Wilson to score the empty netter. Ah, happy days.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
This was one of the better played match I have seen in quite a long time, and the second period by far the best NT hockey I remember.
Playing so dominant against a big nation is a pleasure to see.
It's good to see the NLA players stepping up the level and match the one brought by the NHLers. Moser's play on Hoffman's goal, Vermin's way of getting into the dirty areas and score, Corvi centering the top line, Scherwey playing a hell of a match, Genoni shaking off the doubts and playing calm, safe and solid.
Frick, Fora being excellent, Untersander being deadly specially on the pp.
Fischer deserved some critics in the past but now his team has clear ideas and it is actually playing hockey. Good hockey.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
Corvi should be the top story of this wm . I mean the guy almost gave up , did an apprenticeship in electrical installation and playing amateur leagues in his 20s and now leads his teams in points to a wm semifinal . What an underdog story

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
It was not much time ago that we were discussing his call for the Olympics and trying to figure out why him over people like :eek::eek::eek::eek:i or Richards..I guess Fischer knows what he is doing, after all.

Edit: Ment as a reply to SwissGrog about Corvi.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
sweden have won all games so far and we did beat you in the group. we have the better team on paper. but i think you guys are more hungry and have been better playing-wise. 3-2 win for suisse in the gold match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad