WC: 2018 - Team Denmark

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Just out of curiosity...

Who will take the mantle of center when Nielsen and Regin are gone? It seems like all of Denmark's younger athletes, including prospects, are wingers. MB Hansen, J Hansen, Boedker, Bjorkstrand, Hardt, N Jensen, Russell, Storm, Rondbjerg, From Blichfeld, etc. Who is the 1C 4 years from now, who is the 2C?

Nikolaj Krag Christensen (Blues have NHL rights on him), and Valdemar Ahlberg currently playing in Austin Bruins in NAHL Both are 19 years old. Our center depth have been very strong since 2007, but most of our talent are wingers, except for those mention and D-man Malte Setkov currently playing in Malmø, but Red wings have NHL rights on him.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Yes, we have Lars Eller as a center, but you are right; we probably will be a little starved for good centers in the not too far future

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
do danes hope for sweden in qf? would be a cool game.

I don't. I would much rather have Russia. Sweden simply never underestimate Denmark, and always plays their best game, I believe Russia could take a game against Denmark lightly, and that will give us a slightly better chance to surprise.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
We need to get rid of that coach. Promote Olaf Eller who is our current youth coach. I'm tired seeing the players collapse in every game they are slight favorites or are actually playing for something. Enough with that soft swedish style the coach uses.

The team needs a new culture from the bottom up.

Danmark

May 5, 2014
We need to get rid of that coach. Promote Olaf Eller who is our current youth coach. I'm tired seeing the players collapse in every game they are slight favorites or are actually playing for something. Enough with that soft swedish style the coach uses.

The team needs a new culture from the bottom up.

Totally agree. As i mentioned in the game thread:
Yes. We need something new.

Our mentality is "useless". I keep hearing people saying "Denmark can't play hockey as favorites" - Give me a break. We need to get over our inferiority complexes.

Honestly, I could't care less about getting 11 points. If we don't reach the quarterfinal with this team..... Something wrong with the coaches.... We made like 2-3 goals in 5 vs 5.... Come on..

I am not sure Olaf Eller is the right choice, but Heinz Ehlers could be a interesting choice.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Totally agree. As i mentioned in the game thread:
Yes. We need something new.

Our mentality is "useless". I keep hearing people saying "Denmark can't play hockey as favorites" - Give me a break. We need to get over our inferiority complexes.

Honestly, I could't care less about getting 11 points. If we don't reach the quarterfinal with this team..... Something wrong with the coaches.... We made like 2-3 goals in 5 vs 5.... Come on..

I am not sure Olaf Eller is the right choice, but Heinz Ehlers could be a interesting choice.

Ehlers would have to quit his job at SCL Tigers in the NLA. Not sure he wants to do that.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Daniel Nielsen made it clear he's played his last WC post-game. Center depth could be a issue in a few years. Hoping for some progress from Nikolaj Krag, Alex True and Mikkel Aagaard I guess? Phillip Schultz?

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hate to say I told you so.

IMO only good game of the WC was against Finland. - Where the hell did that jump go?

Germany game, Germans were best.
Norway just sucked.

They just skate around and around the net.
Did nothing, cant even get shots to the net.

Not well prepared enough for the antihockey of Latvia, yes they are good at it, but for the love of christ, change tactics Karlsson.

He has no urgency, just look at the Korea game.

Danish commetaters refused to call this a bad game, or dissapointing.
DIU said before the game, no matter what the outcome, this wc is a success - I mean what a f***ing looser mentality.

Such a dissapointment, and boy am I glad I did not throw money after those loosers.

After the missed OG twice on homeice, and this pathetic display at a once i a lifetime event for Denmark, I mean that shit must leave a bad taste in their mouthes.

Also, for all the people saying Denmark were lucky with their planning - Imo this was a shitty, dumb schedule planned by DIU.

Look for Denmark to recline soon.
Worst momentum swing ever.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Hate to say I told you so.

IMO only good game of the WC was against Finland. - Where the hell did that jump go?

Germany game, Germans were best.
Norway just sucked.

They just skate around and around the net.
Did nothing, cant even get shots to the net.

Not well prepared enough for the antihockey of Latvia, yes they are good at it, but for the love of christ, change tactics Karlsson.

He has no urgency, just look at the Korea game.

Danish commetaters refused to call this a bad game, or dissapointing.
DIU said before the game, no matter what the outcome, this wc is a success - I mean what a ****ing looser mentality.

Such a dissapointment, and boy am I glad I did not throw money after those loosers.

After the missed OG twice on homeice, and this pathetic display at a once i a lifetime event for Denmark, I mean that **** must leave a bad taste in their mouthes.

Also, for all the people saying Denmark were lucky with their planning - Imo this was a ****ty, dumb schedule planned by DIU.

Look for Denmark to recline soon.
Worst momentum swing ever.

I know exactly what you mean, and I totally agree with you. Missing the QFs is a huge disappointment, and the big question is why there hasn't been enough focus on playing successfully.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I know exactly what you mean, and I totally agree with you. Missing the QFs is a huge disappointment, and the big question is why there hasn't been enough focus on playing successfully.
The only good thing - I was so sure they would loose, I bet 50Euro on a Latvian regulation win, at pretry preferable rates.

This Danish team, is so predictable.

Whenever the PP is good, 5v5 sucks ass, and whenever the 5v5 is good, the pp is a non factor.

In most games, we never get enough SOG, against most nations we compare ourselves too, we always get outshot, even when we have a better team on paper.

It is the same, no matter who the coach, hence me thinkingthisnis way deeper, like in the Danish mentality deeper.

This was it, Denmark will never have as many good hockey players as now, we are in a recline, no 1st rounders in the pipeline, not even any 2-3rd rounders.

No new rinks, no jump in number of hockey players.

I think Danes just need to focus on the individual talents while it lasts, and hope for a SC. The national team will never play games like Germany, France, Latvia, Norway.
These teams play games where they get off plenty SOG, evrn when they loose,

when they win, it looks convincing, not lucky.

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
The only good thing - I was so sure they would loose, I bet 50Euro on a Latvian regulation win, at pretry preferable rates.

Whenever the PP is good, 5v5 sucks ass, and whenever the 5v5 is good, the pp is a non factor.

In most games, we never get enough SOG, against most nations we compare ourselves too, we always get outshot, even when we have a better team on paper.

It is the same, no matter who the coach, hence me thinkingthisnis way deeper, like in the Danish mentality deeper.

This was it, Denmark will never have as many good hockey players as now, we are in a recline, no 1st rounders in the pipeline, not even any 2-3rd rounders.

I think Danes just need to focus on the individual talents while it lasts, and hope for a SC. The national team will never play games like Germany, France, Latvia, Norway.

You are definitely right in some things. Most of all, I regret that the chance of a real popular breakthrough did not go through. We did not qualify for the Olympics and we did not come to the quarterfinals in Copenhagen. Both things really bad for the future of Danish hockey - especially when we were that close to achieve both.
Frans Nielsen and Regin are probably almost history on the national team and we will probably not, as you mention, see so many top players in the future. But now I have followed Denmark since the B group, and our depth has sometimes been lousy. It will be better in the future as more good - but not NHL class players - are making their entry. Perhaps you're right that it will be difficult to reach quarterfinals without (NHL) top players, but, on the other hand, I also think that this year's team has seemed strangely dull. In my optics there has been a lack of (the last marginal) wildness and fighting spirit. Perhaps it can be achieved with less skilleds but more "hungry" players...Or a new coach, though I don't think that Ehlers will be the solution.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

I disagree with this take...

I don't think the team would have scored if only they had thought some more positive thoughts, or came in with a more cheerful attitude.

The team needed to play a different style from the style they normally play, because the team across the aisle had a strategy that we knew in advance could compromise their typical style. I had hoped they could adjust, but they couldn't.

They needed a power forward. The Latvian fans noted that the Danish team was weaker along the boards than the US, Canada, and Germany. If it takes 3 guys to tie up one Latvian along the boards, once you win the puck you will have nowhere to go with it. The Danish team is big, size-wise, but surprisingly soft for their size. They needed another mobile defenseman (other than Larsen, who played over 22 minutes) with a big shot, someone who could break down the Latvian zone by getting in position to take shots at Merzlikins that wouldn't be blocked at the hash marks. They needed a forward who was capable at setting screens and getting position on opposing defenders, unlike what happened is they basically got pushed around the front of the net. They need a forward who is good at getting dirty goals. An alternative is to send a guy like Oliver Lauridsen to the front of the net, but they you have a forward holding the line. A forward with great puck-protection skills to walk the puck into the zone would have also helped.

Story of the game: the defensemen were too slow, the forwards were too soft.

One thing you really want to avoid when making a team is having a team where every player is a carbon copy of other players on the team. When that is the case, you can only play one style. If someone finds a counter for that style, you're toast.

However, Denmark's got players on the way. If they can patch their needs, it won't matter who they lose. That's how France has maintained their position. They have exactly two puck-moving D. Two dynamic centers. A power winger. A speed winger. They have a huge Dman they like to put in front of the net. They have a two other unexceptional but competent wingers. They have maybe 10% of the talent that Denmark has, but if they play Denmark tomorrow they will not lose 10-1 I can guarantee you that. They play far above what their paper potential should be, because each player complements each other player.

If you can get players who satisfy the holes in your roster, you can lose Nielsen, and you can lose Regin, and you will play better, not worse.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

I don't think the team would have scored if only they had thought some more positive thoughts, or came in with a more cheerful attitude.

The team needed to play a different style from the style they normally play, because the team across the aisle had a strategy that we knew in advance could compromise their typical style. I had hoped they could adjust, but they couldn't.

They needed a power forward. The Latvian fans noted that the Danish team was weaker along the boards than the US, Canada, and Germany. If it takes 3 guys to tie up one Latvian along the boards, once you win the puck you will have nowhere to go with it. The Danish team is big, size-wise, but surprisingly soft for their size. They needed another mobile defenseman (other than Larsen, who played over 22 minutes) with a big shot, someone who could break down the Latvian zone by getting in position to take shots at Merzlikins that wouldn't be blocked at the hash marks. They needed a forward who was capable at setting screens and getting position on opposing defenders, unlike what happened is they basically got pushed around the front of the net. They need a forward who is good at getting dirty goals. An alternative is to send a guy like Oliver Lauridsen to the front of the net, but they you have a forward holding the line. A forward with great puck-protection skills to walk the puck into the zone would have also helped.

One thing you really want to avoid when making a team is having a team where every player is a carbon copy of other players on the team. When that is the case, you can only play one style. If someone finds a counter for that style, you're toast.

However, Denmark's got players on the way. If they can patch their needs, it won't matter who they lose. That's how France has maintained their position. They have exactly two puck-moving D. Two dynamic centers. A power winger. A speed winger. They have a huge Dman they like to put in front of the net. They have a two other unexceptional but competent wingers. They have maybe 10% of the talent that Denmark has, but if they play Denmark tomorrow they will not lose 10-1 I can guarantee you that. They play far above what their paper potential should be, because each player complements each other player.

If you can get players who satisfy the holes in your roster, you can lose Nielsen, and you can lose Regin, and you will play better, not worse.
Im not sure what you disagree with
Im actually in agreeance with most of what you write:)

But im not just talking about the Latvia game.

Danish mentality is not about happy thoughts, it is much deeper.

anyhoe it doesnt matter now.

Im saving my energy for the Jets.

Last edited:

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016

I think that is one of the better analyzes of Denmark's problems. Thanks! In addition, however, I would like to emphasize what I have previously written that Denmark lacked the last bit of fighting spirit. Yes, yes, they fought, but I remember previous relegation matches where the players fought as if their lives were on stake. After all, we did not see this.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018

A hot take, @kabidjan18 ! :thumbu:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I agree with a lot everybody is saying...im bitterly disappointed and feel the reaction in the media, especially by the tv2 television experts was pathetic...overhyped them during the entire tournament and then they actually conclude that it was a "approved" performance in the tournament..

Wrong type of hockey, disgusting overconfidence and hubris...
And weak mentality and no ability to handle pressure when being forced to take the initiative.

This was a massive failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad