WC: 2018 - Team Czech Republic

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's very true that no matter who our Quarter Final opponent was going to be that we were in trouble with our D and goaltending. The Finns have elite skill and play very well together and would give our D problems. Canada has elite scorers that would give our D problems. The States have elite scorers and some very strong players that will push our D around and crowd the crease. If we were in their pool we'd have Russia or Sweden who'd also be very tough to deal with.lol

I can't stress enough that I have nothing against Francouz and, if he starts, I'll be okay with it but he has shown me nothing to suggest he is a 1. He played the weakest teams in our pool and isn't in Top 10 for Goalies in stats. Also, this means he hasn't played a really good team since the KHL Playoffs. I'd understand more if he had a strong history of stealing playoff matches for us but he lost the quarter last year and the semi and bronze game at the Olympics. Those are his last 3 starts in elimination type matches. I'm not saying I blame him for the losses but I'm just not sure if I'm seeing 'game stealer' here.

The nice thing about our draw... if we do beat the States, our Semi and medal match will not get harder. Also, in our history, when we win Gold's it is usually be beating all the top teams in a row and rarely with an 'easy draw'.

My understanding is that winner of Russia/Sweden gets Canada and loser gets Denmark? That is a crazy stipulation if I have understand it right. This is like another playoff game for them.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And Jandac syndrom is comming. US team is playable imo. This team is able to beat them but Krejci and Pastrnak have to step up because what they are doing right now is more like exhibition showcase.

I didn't want Finnland to be honest. They look too good. Clear hold medal favourite.

I wish you the best mr. Jandac but its not my fault this nontrust feeling is comming again.Prove me wrong!

I'm hoping this is the game where players like Plekanec and Faksa really show their worth as shut down man. Let the David's loose on line 1 to try and score and have Plekanec and Faksa play a lot in a more shutdown role. Hope for a secondary goal somewhere. Do not start slow!!!!

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
This is classic WHC: NHL team vs euros +NHLers. He has to put these euros together and make them compete. I dont want skill showcase, I want WHC playoff hockey. They have to be mentally ready to beat them. I dont believe they will be. f*** I am such a pesimist but this guy doesnt give me a chance. Am I naive when I imagine Riha staying there which itself implies more chances for us? I am old school when it comes to this stage.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
And third goalie is a commentator of the match Slovakia against Belarus. This is not holiday time. I dont understand to hockey movement...See online, its 4 am and our guys are drinking, this is our 3rd goalie, he is commentator now. Just do your job guys. There are still some rules which should be followed. I dont catch modern hockey.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This is classic WHC: NHL team vs euros +NHLers. He has to put these euros together and make them compete. I dont want skill showcase, I want WHC playoff hockey. They have to be mentally ready to beat them. I dont believe they will be. **** I am such a pesimist but this guy doesnt give me a chance. Am I naive when I imagine Riha staying there which itself implies more chances for us? I am old school when it comes to this stage.

We're dead if we try to outskill them... this has to be a full on soccer style effort and try to win 2-1 while frustrating the hell out of them. I love Kreji/Pastrnak but Kane/Gaudreau is equally amazing.. plus, don't forget about guys like Larkin floating around. We need to go in assuming they win 5-0 and do everything we can to drive them crazy and keep it close. Some big saves from our Goalie and a timely goal here and there. Basically, how we beat Russia in 2010.... get an early goal, an ugly goal and hope everyone holds up. Given Raffl made us look like fools twice in one period yesterday, I'm a little worried as Raffl is not Kane/Gaudreau/Larkin. Plus MacAvoy and Krug... my head hurts!

Like I say though.. Faksa and Plekanec should be the key to victory. Get them to shut down the top lines and line match (something Euro coaches don't do enough) and try to get them on ice at all times with top scorers while trying to get David's on against line 3 or even 4 occasionally. Hope a Kubalik/Chytil/Necas sneak one in somewhere

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
We're dead if we try to outskill them... this has to be a full on soccer style effort and try to win 2-1 while frustrating the hell out of them. I love Kreji/Pastrnak but Kane/Gaudreau is equally amazing.. plus, don't forget about guys like Larkin floating around. We need to go in assuming they win 5-0 and do everything we can to drive them crazy and keep it close. Some big saves from our Goalie and a timely goal here and there. Basically, how we beat Russia in 2010.... get an early goal, an ugly goal and hope everyone holds up. Given Raffl made us look like fools twice in one period yesterday, I'm a little worried as Raffl is not Kane/Gaudreau/Larkin. Plus MacAvoy and Krug... my head hurts!

Like I say though.. Faksa and Plekanec should be the key to victory. Get them to shut down the top lines and line match (something Euro coaches don't do enough) and try to get them on ice at all times with top scorers while trying to get David's on against line 3 or even 4 occasionally. Hope a Kubalik/Chytil/Necas sneak one in somewhere
Agree with everything. My only concern with youngs is that they imo so far mostly showed us individual skill and confidence. But for this you imo needs to be hardworking invisible guy who just works for team. They show us they have potential to be good, but they arent there yet so we need them to adapt to the game. I mean I dont really believe you can apply that rule 2mistakes, 8 good things in playoffs. I am bit worry we play too much "no concern hockey". And exactly we all need to be biting team who is just going to beat them.I am saying this because we historically know how to that and this team is by names capable of it.there is clearly the potential.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Actually I am pretty much satisfied with the tourney already. We wanted there young players and they got the chance (more or less) and played well. The QF match will be another great experience for this team. The US team is really strong this year so I won't have my expectation so high and hoping to be pleasantly surprised :)
Anyway no matter the final result of the tourney, I would just love to see this team to play two more matches..

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Actually I am pretty much satisfied with the tourney already. We wanted there young players and they got the chance (more or less) and played well. The QF match will be another great experience for this team. The US team is really strong this year so I won't have my expectation so high and hoping to be pleasantly surprised :)
Anyway no matter the final result of the tourney, I would just love to see this team to play two more matches..
This year we could see how czech team must look every year :thumbu: 2-3 "teenager" forwards and give solid ice time to young extraleague defenders. Only this can help us and only this will move czech hockey forward. And play offensive hockey.
People won't blame anyone if we will end QF if there will be players that I wrote every year.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
So USA again, I guess shootout is coming:laugh:. I think both Francouz and Rittich will be good, whatever the choice is going to be (my bet is Rittich, given how our coach talks before). I think crucial is how our defense will play, it's good Austia did not give up yesterday, it showed how the games games vs France and Belarus were misleading. Also agree Plekanec and Faksa can play big part in Thursday.

Hopefully we will play good game vs USA. I like this team, how they go through the very hard start and finish with 6 wins from 7 games, how Hronek, Nečas and recently Chytil performed. They showed great promise for future. And now with Krejčí and Pastrňák we can go play vs USA without fear.

Now we want some medal. Česi do toho!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Thanks god Dominik Hasek isn't coach and never will be :help:

MS v hokeji 2018 | Hašek: Koho do branky proti USA? Já bych vsadil na Francouze - iSport.cz

WTF is this? His opinion on goalie for QF match? "... because goalie XY played more matches for national team ..."

I'd expect this argument from my grandma (she doesn't care abou hockey) but from best goalie ever? :huh:

Have you seen his ad for the energy drink he created? He was a great goalie but I do not put so much stock in his judgment :laugh: So far the QF goalie is a question mark and I trust them to figure out the best solution. In the past we've played well against the US, this year I would've preferred even Canada but we're not without a chance. Would really like to make it through this year after that satisfying group stage and feeling that we have what it takes to take on any team this year.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canada and Russia quarter... that is insane. I'm picking Canada.
Swiss - Finland... I think it'll be a very good and close game but I'm taking Finland. The Swiss do have a great team and can do damage in a quarter.
Czechs- USA - I'll be heavily cheering for the Czechs... but we'll see, I think the US are the favourites here.
Sweden/Latvia - I'll take Sweden... I could've seen Denmark giving them a very hard time... maybe Latvia will too? I feel terrible for Denmark and not making it... they had a very good team and tournament. Good for Latvia to gut it out, I have nothing against them or their program (other than one team some guy almost killed Radek Martinek and cut his career short... that pissed me off:)

They say every Quarters has ONE upset... so that looks to be Czechs over USA! What a 'hattrick' that would be ... Worlds, Olympics and last World cup.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
What is with making the two close games at the same time?
I think it's because Sweden and Finland TV. They making desicion of when games will be played together with other TVs, but they have biggest influence in it.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think it's because Sweden and Finland TV. They making desicion of when games will be played together with other TVs, but they have biggest influence in it.
Makes sense... Disappointing though as neither of those games have as much drama... I would've loved to have watched Canada Russia separately

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
For the record... I would take Rittich to start... Have the first 3 Centres be Krejci, Faksa and Plekanec. I'd move Necas to wing in top 9 somewhere and let him fly with less defensive responsibility. I'd have Horak be 4C.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
For the record... I would take Rittich to start... Have the first 3 Centres be Krejci, Faksa and Plekanec. I'd move Necas to wing in top 9 somewhere and let him fly with less defensive responsibility. I'd have Horak be 4C.

Good idea, let him replace Cervenka (who won't score in a 100 years) on Faksa's formation! Could also win faceoffs there, if Faksa doesn't thrive. :popcorn:

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
They probably just presume it's going to the shootout again :laugh:

Francouz is great, however somewhere deep inside me i felt like Rittich was the right choice. He looked so 'sure' in all the games he's played .. and he also got both the tough matchups. But Pavel is fine, he usually performs in big games.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So we are down 2-0 and I go to see what the experts are saying on CT24 as TSN only talks about the Russia/Canada game in intermission (not a complaint, I understand). TSN takes the whole intermission to break down every detail of the first period and break down the goal from about 20 angles.

CT24 is showing the 9th installment in the Zlaty Trener and now they're talking about Russia/Canada! They need their panel to point out that you need to start your NHL goalie against NHL players and that having a 14-3 winning record against a non NHL US, non NHL Canada, Swtizerland, Belarus, Austria and Kazakhstan doesn't mean shit in a game against an NHL full American team.

dryz

Feb 10, 2011
Czechia
Never had a feeling we could win today. Once again terrible start, no real energy from us. Larkin's line erased our first line and Kane just did what he wanted. Meh.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Never had a feeling we could win today. Once again terrible start, no real energy from us. Larkin's line erased our first line and Kane just did what he wanted. Meh.

Kane did what he wanted against Hronek, Moravcik, Kubalik, Polasek... why was he ever on the ice against those guys? Our David's never saw anything but Larkin and their Top D. Jandac was outcoached and started the wrong guy in net. 2 huge mistakes and we're done.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1 for 3 on powerplay also buried us. Our last powerplay in third was f***en terrible. Our final 2 and half minutes of 6 on 5 the States had more shots than we did (great save by Pastrnak).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sykora says it's too late to talk about how to stop Kane and then goes on to trash Pastrnak for making some stupid passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->