Prospect Info: 2018 St. Louis Blues Prospect Camp

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't think Bourque is even signed yet, my guess is he'll be spending another year in the CHL as an overager.

Regarding Andersson, I don't even think any of us know what he looks like let alone what his plans are for next season. My guess is he stays in Sweden.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Andersson did get drafted into the USHL this year, ftr. He did well last year, albeit in lower leagues. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him come over and play a season in North America to try to earn a contract. It wouldn't be a bad idea for him.

As for Bourque... not sure what will end up happening there. I would say he probably needs more time in the OHL, but if he gets signed at any time over the next few seasons I would say he's likely ECHL-bound.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Andersson did get drafted into the USHL this year, ftr. He did well last year, albeit in lower leagues. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him come over and play a season in North America to try to earn a contract. It wouldn't be a bad idea for him.

As for Bourque... not sure what will end up happening there. I would say he probably needs more time in the OHL, but if he gets signed at any time over the next few seasons I would say he's likely ECHL-bound.

If Andersson does come over how likely is it that he cracks your AHL lineup? Is it deep at LD?

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Thanks for all the great write ups.

Was able to attend Friday’s scrimmage was awesome. Not a prospect expert but will say if Torpechencko ever makes the Blues 4th line fans will love him.

I started lurking these boards back during the rebuild and remember there was huge debate about David Backes back then on wether he was a bottom six or top six player. It was Backes skating if I remember correctly that was holding him back. Interesting to see if Foley can do the same.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If Andersson does come over how likely is it that he cracks your AHL lineup? Is it deep at LD?

I think organizationally, we have something like 15 LHD, compared to 5 RHD haha. That includes all levels, and Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson are likely gone after this year, but yeah it's a pretty steep climb at LHD. Edmundson and Dunn aren't going anywhere barring a trade, and Walman and Mikkola are probably the closest to taking over that 3rd pairing LD spot in St. Louis, although Petteri Lindbohm can probably still make an argument of squeaking in there. Tyler Wotherspoon just got signed from Calgary, and he probably has a better chance of taking a spot out of training camp than most people here have yet to realize. Perunovich, Noel and Tucker are all good prospects in their own right, but are a few years removed from the pros. Then there's Chris Butler, who is the captain of the Rampage and isn't going anywhere for awhile. So, if Andersson wants to come over, he has a big hill to climb. There might be a better path through if he can play his offside, but even still I'm not sure he can beat out guys like Reinke or Schmaltz at the AHL level.

So, long story short: it is unlikely that he cracks the AHL lineup if he crosses the pond, and he would be better served starting out in Tulsa or the USHL instead.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Detroit has announce their roster to Traverce City tournament, didn't find Blues announce yet?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Detroit has announce their roster to Traverce City tournament, didn't find Blues announce yet?
Blues announced their Traverse City roster on August 29 last year which is still almost 3 weeks away. I'm guessing this year will be around the same time.

Reactions: Ranksu

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Detroit is the "host" city so they always seem to go first.
Carolina has announced their team, too, but nobody else so far.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Blues announced their Traverse City roster on August 29 last year which is still almost 3 weeks away. I'm guessing this year will be around the same time.
Detroit is the "host" city so they always seem to go first.
Carolina has announced their team, too, but nobody else so far.

1171.gif

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Blues just announced the Traverse City roster. Would post the link but url is not working on my desktop.

Forwards: Peter Abbandonato (84), Dominik Bokk (18), Erik Foley (52), Daylon Groulx (87), Tanner Kaspick (83), Klim Kostin (37), Jordan Kyrou (33), Mathias LaFerriere (59), Bobby MacIntyre (73), Adam Musil (54), Austin Poganski (53), Nolan Stevense (51), Jared Thomas (74), Robert Thomas (36), and Alexei Toropchenko (65)

Defensemen: Sean Allen (61), Trenton Bourque (63), Joel Lakusta (72), Niko Mikkola (77), David Noel (60), Mitch Reinke (39), Tyler Tucker (75) and Jake Walman (46)

Goalies: Evan Fitzpatrick (85) and Joel Hofer (1)

https://www.foxsports.com/midwest/story/st-louis-blues-reveal-2018-traverse-city-prospect-roster-all-games-to-stream-on-fsgo-082218

BLUES SCHEDULE
Sept. 7, 2:30 p.m. vs. Carolina
Sept. 8, 2:30 p.m. vs. Columbus
Sept. 10, 6:30 p.m. vs. Chicago
Sept. 11: Championship game (teams TBD)

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Intersting there is no Scott Perunovich, any idea why he isn't listed to Traverse City roster when there is clearly other top prospects?

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
aah didn't know that. Hmm, shouldn't Blues pay the kid to so he doesn't need to pay to his own pocket? Vilken amateurs.
There’s such things as NCAA rules that prevent that. That’s why NCAA prospects don’t sign their ELC until they are done with college, usually after Junior or Senior season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
There’s such things as NCAA rules that prevent that. That’s why NCAA prospects don’t sign their ELC until they are done with college, usually after Junior or Senior season.

Eh, I feel totally dumb, but why NCAA wanna hold on Kids experience such a good tournament. Its not like IT Will ruined their college autumn,Few days.

Crazy rules.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Eh, I feel totally dumb, but why NCAA wanna hold on Kids experience such a good tournament. Its not like IT Will ruined their college autumn,Few days.

Crazy rules.

It is a universal rule. It wasn't designed to stop this in particular but it has to be universally enforced for fairness. In sports like Football and basketball, players are drafted at the end of their college time. So they don't have a team who drafts them that would be paying for these things. The NCAA is worried a booster (rich supporter of a their favorite college) would offer a nice trip to Hawaii in a 5-star hotel with beautiful "companions" for their favorite teams players to participate in a flag football tournament as an incentive to sign with that team. Thats totally not the same thing as the Blues paying for the guy they drafted to play in a legit tourney. However, the NCAA doesn't want to be in a position to make the decision on what is legit tourney and what isn't, so just blanket ban it all. If you receive any type of compensation, even travel fees, to play the sport, you are no longer and amateur and no longer eligible to play collegiate amateur sports.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I always thought that NCAA players weren't allowed to play these kind of tournaments or attend main team trainingcamp at all? So do I understand correctly that they are allowed to do so as long as the player doesn't receive any compensation? Lets say Perunovich decides he really wants to play for the Blues at the Traverse City tournament and pays for every expense himselve, he is allowed to play?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
He would be allowed to play. In fact, I don’t believe any of the players are paid.

However. He would have to pay his own way , hotel, food, and transportation.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I always thought that NCAA players weren't allowed to play these kind of tournaments or attend main team trainingcamp at all? So do I understand correctly that they are allowed to do so as long as the player doesn't receive any compensation? Lets say Perunovich decides he really wants to play for the Blues at the Traverse City tournament and pays for every expense himselve, he is allowed to play?

Actually, it seems you are right. I was assuming they could because players in other sports, golf specifically, can participate in tournaments as long as they don't take prize money. Tiger Woods famously made the cut at the '95 Masters only to go on to win the NCAA individual title the next year. However doing some research, the rules for some sports do differ. Most notably, hockey and skiing seem to have their own rules on eligibility for a lot of the potential issues. I am not sure why that is, but most rules on the chart I found seem to have a different interpretation for hockey and skiing. Here is what the eligibility center says:

OVERVIEW OF NCAA DIVISIONS I AND II PRE-ENROLLMENT AMATEURISM BYLAWS
Permissible in Division I?

Enters into a Contract, Accepts
Salary or Competes on a
Professional Team
Men’s Ice Hockey and Skiing
: May not enter into contract, may not receive expenses and may only compete on a professional team if the professional is
not being paid to be a member of the team.
All Other Sports
: Yes. Prior to enrollment may enter into a contract if notcompensated above expenses, may not accept a salary from a professional
team and may compete on a team so long as not compensated above expenses.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/CBSA.pdf

So, the whole thing is clear as mud. It seems thast in most sports, a player can play in a "pro" tournament if the NCAA player isn't getting paid. But in hockey, it seems that he can only enter if nobody is being paid. Since there are prospects under contract at the tourney and they may recieve some sort of compensation, Perunovich cannot play regardless. At least that is my best guess based on minimal research.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

You are correct. Perunovich can’t play in the TC tourney no matter what if he wants to maintain NCAA eligibility. There are pros that play in the tourney so the NCAA considers it a pro tourney. Same as why college players aren’t at training camp either.

However, college players are allowed to attend the prospect camps earlier in the summer as long as they pay their own expenses.

Clear as mud?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad