Prospect Info: 2018 St. Louis Blues Prospect Camp

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
When the players went into the crowd to sign autographs, Kostin, Kyrou, Foley, and Bokk all hung out together on ice and chatted it up.

The big dogs know who they are.

I saw Torpochenko out there a lot during the scrimmage. I think they have plans for him if he keeps progressing.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Top needs to go back to JR and develop his offensive game. If he jumps now to the AHL, while he may wind up on the energy line, he will not be able to grow and develop any part of his offensive game. He will be stuck in that role. He is a 4th round draft pick so we are better letting him develop and not push him on too soon.

Be better for him to dominate in JR and work on his game.

Reactions: Blueston

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Guelph passed on both of their picks in the CHL Import Draft yesterday which means they virtually 100% certain that both of their Import picks will be back for this coming season.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think Foley is well liked by players and coaches. Whenever I look his way and he is not doing a drill he has whoever he is near smiling and laughing.
After the trade in February:

Andy Strickland‏Verified account @andystrickland Feb 26
More
From former teammate Jake Walman on Erik Foley “One of the most talented kids I've played with. Great hands, has wicked shot, his release is so quick. Plays power game and has no problem going to the net even though he's skilled player. Unreal kid off the ice everyone loves him

I'm excited about him. I don't really need for him to be a big-time offensive player, but I think his competitiveness and style of play will make for an awesome 3rd liner for us to complement the skill guys.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
This write up is taking forever. I will get it done tonight though, I promise. Might be pretty late though.
giphy.gif

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
After the trade in February:

Andy Strickland‏Verified account @andystrickland Feb 26
More
From former teammate Jake Walman on Erik Foley “One of the most talented kids I've played with. Great hands, has wicked shot, his release is so quick. Plays power game and has no problem going to the net even though he's skilled player. Unreal kid off the ice everyone loves him

I'm excited about him. I don't really need for him to be a big-time offensive player, but I think his competitiveness and style of play will make for an awesome 3rd liner for us to complement the skill guys.

I think upside with him is a Wayne Simmonds type of player: really good power forward who does the stuff everyone needs players to do that can fit on the 2nd line. If he hits that, we 100% won the Stastny trade.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Im
I think upside with him is a Wayne Simmonds type of player: really good power forward who does the stuff everyone needs players to do that can fit on the 2nd line. If he hits that, we 100% won the Stastny trade.
I’m pretty sure we already won the Stastny trade and I can’t be convinced otherwise. He was an expiring UFA with a 33% chance of resigning. We weren’t going anywhere in the postseason if we even made it in. We got a 1st which turned into Bokk whom I believe will be an impact player for us in 3-4 years. We also go Foley who has a great pedigree and clearly is well on his way to establishing an NHL career.

If we traded stastny with more term I’d say it was even but for a rental (that resulted in a WCF I’ll admit) Winnipeg seemingly burned those assets.

Reactions: DoubleK81

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Im

I’m pretty sure we already won the Stastny trade and I can’t be convinced otherwise. He was an expiring UFA with a 33% chance of resigning. We weren’t going anywhere in the postseason if we even made it in. We got a 1st which turned into Bokk whom I believe will be an impact player for us in 3-4 years. We also go Foley who has a great pedigree and clearly is well on his way to establishing an NHL career.

If we traded stastny with more term I’d say it was even but for a rental (that resulted in a WCF I’ll admit) Winnipeg seemingly burned those assets.

Rentals rarely ever seem to work out. It's not worth giving up your best assets to get a rental, in my opinion. It really only makes sense if you have a log jam at a certain position, and will lose a guy one way or another. It sounds like we'll be outbid for ROR, but I'm okay with it because I'm excited to see how many prospects come into the fold this season.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I like Tanner Kaspick a lot. The kid has a high hockey IQ IMO. Makes good decisions and uses his linemates well. Plays a team game. Just a darn good hockey player, plays a complete game.

Reactions: Zamadoo

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Im

Would you trade Foley + Bokk to Winnipeg for Stastny right now? Hell no. We got 2 friggen studs

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Ok I am done. Here it is. I typed this up over the course of several hours and am very tired. I am posting this without checking spelling or grammar, so if you were planning on calling me out on what I sure will be dozens of mistakes you can kindly f*** off.

36 - ROBERT THOMAS (F) Sadly he was not at prospect camp for a reason well documented. I think we all have a pretty good idea how he would have performed if he was there.

47 - SCOTT PERUNOVICH (D) We only got to view him for one day before he left camp with a minor injury. So remember we had very limited viewing of him. The first thing that you notice about his is that he tiny, by far the smallest player on the ice. Now I am not someone who puts a ton of stock into size but I see his size being a problem specifically when it comes to playing defense. While I did feel like he has good instincts and smart stick it was pretty easy for attacking players to shield him from the puck with their bodies. His skating is pretty good but not explosive, his edgework is strong but he lacks acceleration and top end speed. Where he really shines is when his team has the puck. He is a heads up player and all the way makes really good reads and passes through transition. In the offensive zone he showed great patience with the puck and good instincts about when to join the attack down low. He is decent to good skater with solid edgework and acceleration but not fantastic top end speed. He has a very long road ahead of him but I really do think he can make the NHL one day his hockey IQ seems very high.

53 - AUSTIN POGANSKI (F)
A stronger guy who plays a north south game and is good at using his body to seperate players from the puck. His shot is not very heavy but he has sneaky quick release when he can get it off. He has pretty good acceleration but just average top end speed. His puck handling is not very good as he can't seems to handle it without constantly looking down. During the scrimmage he had a bad habit of making blind passes to no one or not realizing that the lane had closed and his pass would get picked off. When he would find the puck in open ice he seems to only have one move, that is to circle back and drive the outside lane and try to take the puck to the net. He doesn't have the speed or the size to bully his way into the front and lacks the puck skills to dangle his way there. He is very limited offensively.His hard nosed style might find him a spot on a 4th line at some point during his career but given he is 22 and one of the oldest players there I was left somewhat disappointed.

56 - TY AMONTE (F)
I think I referred to him this week as a big bowl of meh. He really didn't do anything during the rest of camp to change that opinion. Nothing he really did stood out. He lacks high end speed but has decent edgework. His stationary stick handling is decent and he manages without looking down the entire time but as soon as he starts skating he handles the puck like a grenade. His shot is a complete muffin but he did show some pretty nice accuracy in some of the shooting drills, picking a few corners. He definitely put in strong effort in the scrimmages, back checking and forechecking well during all 4 games. I just didn't see enough to justify us offering him a contract though. He would be redundant energy guy that we already have far too many of.

58 - NIKOLAJ KRAG (F)
Are you ready? Are you? Biggest disappointment at the camp in my opinion. He looks like he added a little weight but definitely needs to add more. His foot speed is pretty good but it takes him a good while to get going, acceleration needs a lot of work as does his edgework. He handles the puck poorly and faster he is moving the worse it gets. He plays a heads up game and is capable of laying flat firm passes. Shows flashes of being strong boards player but it was so inconsistent on whether he is going to engage or not, sometimes just peeling off and falling back. His shot is good but I noticed that he telegraphs is hard and he is just not going to get the time for that big wind up at the pro levels. Maybe he just had a bad camp but I feel like in comparison to his performance last year he took steps backwards. Needs to fix a lot if he ever wants a shot at the NHL.

59 - MATHIAS LAFERRIERE (F)
He looked so much better in the scrimmage than he did in the drills. He is a shifty skater with quick acceleration and decent edgework and speed but fell a few times during skating drills. His hands are decent and he can make moves at top speed but would also just completely lose pucks in stick handling drills. His passing game is his bread and butter in my opinion, he seems to very good at letting lanes develop and getting his passes through. His shot certaintly isn't hard but seems to fairly accurate. During the scrimmages he was such an up and down player. He would completely bobble a pass at the blue line and mishandle a puck on the same shift, then seconds later he would find himself in a soft area on the ice to bang home a goal. I think he is a player whose hockey IQ is much higher than his hockey skill level. If he is able to work out his inconsistency issues he might be able to carve out a depth scoring role at some point in the future.

63 - TRENTON BOURQUE (D)
He is a very smooth skater with a very limited skill set. He showed very good edgework with his skating with decent acceleration and speed. He is an average stick handler and is able to do so with his head up while skating a full speed. His shot is just not very good at all, if he hits the net and that is a big if it is easily stopped. During the scrimmages he played a very safe game. I felt like offensively he was tied to the blueline and would show zero aggressive instincts offensively. Defensively he was solid as tracking and staying with his man but was way too easily backed off the defensive blueline. Honestly his camp was very forgettable, he needs to take a big leap in development in the next year if he wants a real shot of ever making the NHL.

65 - ALEXEY TOROPCHENKO (F)
He has added some weight but needs to add a little more to finish filling out his massive frame. His skating ability is hard to believe for a guy his size, he has a really good first 3 steps and top end speed making him very difficult to contain. His edgework needs a little attention though his speed is more straight line. He doesn't possess the best hands but they are good enough for the role he plays. His shot is just ok, not a ton of velocity but seems to be somewhat accurate. Where he shines is in the scrimmages. I have used the saying a lot but he plays like a bull in the china shop. He will use his size and skating ability to go right through opposing players. He on multiple occasions would be out numbered in the corners and come away with the puck. He takes the puck hard to the net creating chance after chance for himself, sadly though he seems to lack the finish to put these chances away. This does show us though how he will make his money in the pro leagues, this man is going to create havok around the net and I believe will be a bottom six wrecking ball who can provide depth scoring with tip ins and rebounds.

73 - ANTON ANDERSSON (D)
He was a ghost out there. :laugh:

81- GRANT FREDERIC (D)
Oh Grant, why do make me do this to you. Last year I called him a warm body, I guess I owe him a little more this year. He shows that he has solid edgework but lacks acceleration and foot speed. His stick handling is... fine I guess. His shot is very pedestrian, I am pretty sure a shooter tutor would have around a 95% save percentage if he was the only one shooting against it. If you didn't tell me he was playing during the scrimmage I would have never known. I am going to end on postive note, just for you Grant. He seems like an above average passer, always flat and even showed off a couple of nice saucers in the passing drills.

83 - TANNER KASPICK (F)
He is one hard working kid. His feet never stopped moving and he would be all over the ice. His skating is his biggest attribute. Quick acceleration, straight line speed and lateral movement. Very solid on his edges and can stick handle well at full speed. He has a very quick release but seems to have issues with accuracy. During the scrimmages he was all over the ice, skated just as hard going back as he did going forward. He battled hard on the boards for loose pucks and came away with many of them. Sadly though he seems to struggle at finding the soft areas of ice in the offensive zone often leaving him playing the perimeter. He has the work ethic to be a NHL player in the future just not sure he has the hockey IQ to play a skill role.

84 - AUSTIN RUESCHHOFF (F)
This local kid invitee is a complete and total bean pole. Some guys need to add 10-15 pounds, he needs to add a solid 30. Hockeydb has him listed as 228lbs and I have to tell you there is no f***ing way. His skating is not great, edgework is sloppy, acceleration is poor and top speed is average at best. He can't stick handle and skate without putting his head down. You would hope that with his size he would have a heavy shot but it was pretty underwhelming. Sure you noticed him at times during the scrimmage but that is only due to his freakish size. I am sure he is nice kid but just not worth a contract.

85 - EVAN FITZPATRICK (G)
As always it is hard to get a read on goalies at this camp. Fitz was a very calm in net this week and showed great patience on out waiting shooters. Showed great improvement in not dropping into his butterfly too early. Was strong pushing off his post and had good but not great lateral movement. One thing that @bluesfan3109 pointed out to me was that he tends to get beat a lot to the blocker side. When I started focusing on that I realized he has a bad habit of angling his blocker inward towards his body, which should be an easy fix for our goaltending coach. I am actually really excited about what I saw from him at this camp and think he could compete for the starter role in the AHL if Husso graduates.

1 - JOEL HOFER (G)
He was definitely nervous throughout the week, it got better as the week went along but he looked very shaky at times especially when pushing out to his angles. He abuses his butterfly a little too much for my liking, at times dropping well before the shot is ever taken. The good news is he makes himself look big in net while in the butterfly. Needs to work on pushing off his post, his lateral movement was pretty poor in my opinion. Glove placement was very hit or miss and his rebound control was god awful. He has a very long way to go, getting more time playing for Swift Current next year will hopefully help with his development.

18 - DOMINIK BOKK (F)
I think I called him a slippery thief earlier in the thread and I am going to stick with that. This kid could find room to stick handle in a phone booth, his hands are silky smooth. He has quick acceleration but isn't the fastest skater at full speed. His edgework and agility on skates is remarkable though, add that to his stick handling and the guy can carve through players in the neutral zone like butter. An underrated aspect to his game is his passing and vision, he possesses high hockey IQ. His shot is more about finesse than power, he picks his spot and gets uses his sneaky quick release to catch goalies off guard. During the scrimmage he would routinely go into the corner and pick the pocket of the opposing teams players and once he had the puck it was hard get it away from him. One negative is that at times he would stick handle a little too much trying to go through opposing players. This kid just oozes talent and I made the comparison to Pavel Datsyuk earlier in this thread and I am sticking to it.

33 - JORDAN KYROU (F)
Oh Kyrou, I hope we don't trade you. I am a poet and didn't even know it. He looks like he has added some muscle since last year, still needs to add a little bit more though. Everyone already knows how I feel about this kid, he was just on a different level than anyone else at this camp. Excelled at everything. We all know his skating is elite and possesses high hockey IQ. It looks like he worked on shot since last year and while he is far from a sniper it is good enough to keep goalies honest. During the scrimmages he almost seemed like he was holding back at times and was still the most effective player on the ice. After the first day the coaches actually started giving him less and less shifts during the scrimmages because every time he was out there he flat out dominated. He will play in the NHL at some point this year, I have zero doubt about that.

37 - KLIM KOSTIN (F)
He looked significantly more comfortable during this camp compared to last year. We all know that he possesses a ton of tools. His skating is strong, his shot is lethal and he is a good but not great stick handler. However, this year I am starting to question his hockey IQ a little bit. In scrimmages when he had the puck he was a possession monster and would at times will himself into a scoring opportunity. He did not use his teammates very well though, I had a sense that he realized early on that his "team" wasn't nearly as strong and he was trying to do too much by himself. When he didn't have the puck he struggled to create seperation from his defender and find open ice for himself. I did notice a greater commitment to the defensive side of the puck, whether it was hustling back or battling hard in the corners for pucks. Uses his large frame well to protect the puck. I think he will get cup of tea at some point this year but I forsee most of his season being in the AHL this year.

39 - MITCH REINKE (D)
Showed very good instincts both defensively and offensively all throughout camp. His skating is good but not great, he has pretty good acceleration and top speed but agility and edgework need a little attention. He is an average puck handler but manages to do it at full speed and keep his head up. His shot is not great, no other way to put it. Showed real good vision both in transition and the offensive zone. Had a good stick defensively but at times had poor positioning allowing skaters to beat him to the outside. In the scrimmages at times I wasn't sure if he was playing defense or forward, he plays a 200ft game as a defenseman. Kid is not at all scared of joining the offense, often finding him self down near the goal and it payed off more than few times. He has some polishing to do in his game but I do think he will be an NHL sooner rather than later.

45 - LUKE OPILKA (G)
Keep your f***ing glove up. His glove does not start high enough and slowly drops it the closer the shooter gets to him. Like Fitz he showed good patience throughout camp and didn't drop into his butterfly too early. However, I did notice he seemed slightly slower at getting up out of his butterfly than his counterparts. I don't know if that has to do with his injuries or not though. He did seem strong pushing off the post a had pretty good lateral movement though. Remembering he hasn't played a real game in year he looked pretty good, still has a lot of work to do.

51 - NOLAN STEVENS (F)
I was hoping to see more from him at this camp. His shot seems to have improved greatly this year, it still isn't lethal but should be good enough to keep goalies honest. His biggest asset is his work ethic, he wins board battles and is good at using his body to protect the puck. His stick handling is just ok but he needs to stop looking down so frequently when doing so. He can get up and down the ice well but if I had to use one word to decribe his skating it would be sloppy. I still think that he lacks high hockey IQ, at times during the scrimmages he would rush the play or make a panic play with the puck. He is a guy who will earn his living going hard to the net and that is how he scored all his goals in the scrimmage. A guy who will clean up the garbage. I look forward to watching him develop in the AHL this which is where he should stay all year.

52 - ERIK FOLEY (F)
The enigma of the camp, at times he looked fantastic and at other times looked pretty bad. It is hard to get a read on Foley. He is a another player who looked so much better in scrimmages than he did in drills. His skating is decent, has quick acceleration but top speed is nothing special, his edgework needs some attention. His shot is a f***ing enigma to me at times it didn't seem like much and then suddenly he would start picking corners with lasers, obviously I hoping he figures out how to make them all lasers. Same thing with his stick handling, in drills he would constantly loose the puck but then come the scrimmage would dance through multiple players in the slot and beat a goalie to the far post. He knows his game, he knows it is a meat and potatoes game and that is how he plays, driving the puck down to the goal line and then forcing it into the middle. Beyond his play at camp he seems like a very likeable guy, he had his teammates and coaches smiling all week long, could be a great locker room presence. That being said I think he starts in the AHL but could see him making his NHL debut sooner rather than later.

56 - HUGH McGING (F)
The next Andy McDonald? Bill Armstrong made this comparison after the draft and you know what I see it. A very fluid skater and great edge work. Possesses quick acceleration and is a fast skater. He is a very small guy so he uses his feet to create space, the kids feet were always moving. His stick handling is ok but not great but he is able to do so without putting his head down. His shot isn't very strong but he has a quick release and is able to disguise it well. It becomes apparent pretty quickly that he has very high hockey IQ. He see's the ice very well and has the patience to let the play develop and find the right lane or the soft areas on the ice. He scored several goals throughout camp, all of them being within 5 feet of the net despite his small stature. I'll say it I am intrigued by McGing, he was my surprise of the camp and I am very excited to watch him continue to develop.

60 - DAVID NOEL (D)
I feel like he was the best defenseman at this camp from a pure defensive perspective which was a pleasant surprise given he was drafted as a offensive defenseman. His skating is good once he gets up to top speed but he needs to work on his first 3 steps, what's the opposite of explosive? Everyone already knows that he has bomb of shot but seemed hestitant to use it throughout camp. In transition he tends to make the simple play more often than not and excutes firm hard passes. Rarely does he skate the puck the ice himself though. In the scrimmages he showed good offensive instincts. He knew when to pinch and when not to. Defensively he was perhaps the best player at camp. As I stated in the thread he was very vocal with his teammates about defensive assignments and showed markings of a leader on the ice. I feel like he took the biggest step forward of all the prospects in their second year, all around his game seemed much more polished. He has another year in Junior but keep your eyes on this one, I see the NHL in his future.

74 - JARED THOMAS (F)
24 year old Invitee. He was good at some stuff. Bad at other stuff. Not getting a contract. I am trying to get this f***ing thing done so I am not even getting into it.

75 - TYLER TUCKER (D)
Another pleasant surprise at this camp. First thing I am going to say about his kid is he works very hard. Second thing I am going to say about his kid is good god his skating is f***ing awful. Really there is not one redeeming quality in his skating, stick him with a skating coach for the next 4 years and he might get it to a passable level. His stick handling is ok but he never really tried anything too fancy in the scrimmages, when he got the puck he would just drive it hard down the ice. His shot isn't bad, it's not a bomb but it is enough to keep the goalies attention when he is on the point. When it came to the scrimmages he showed a big time willingness to join in the offense sometimes to a detriment but it did result in a few goals. Defensively his positioning was excellent but his stick was almost too agressive at times leading to him getting walked by some of the more skilled players. I did like his aggressiveness in some instances though, he had a good habit of standing up attacking players at the blueline. He is very long term prospect and has a lot of development ahead if he is going to make the pro leagues.

82 - JOSH DUNNE (F)
Perhaps the only invitee that I could see the Blues offering a contract to. Standing at 6'4 200+ pounds he is a big boy and he has fairly good skating ability. Looks comfortable on his edges and has quick acceleration but not high end speed. He struggles with stick handling without putting his head down. His shot is heavy and he has quick release. Battles hard along the boards but seems hesitant to force his way into the middle of the ice. I don't know if the Blues will offer him a contract but he was the best invitee at camp in my opinion.

86 - FILIP HELT (F)
Has filled out his frame since last year and is much harder on loose pucks and uses his body well to protect the puck. His edgework is good but not great and he has pretty good top speed but it takes him forever to get there, his acceleration is poor. His shot is poor, like not good at all. Not a great stick handler but not terrible and manages it as full speed with his head up. He really excelled at the deflections and rebound drills but that was the only drill that I felt he was excellent at. In the scrimmage he was invisible offensively but played a smart two way game and was strong along the boards. I honestly didn't see a ton of improvement from his performance from last year. Has a long way to go still and not sure if he will ever be anything at the pro level.

89 - MICHAEL DAVIES (D)
The last one and you know what I'm not doing it. This is like his 4th camp or something. I am sure he is a nice guy but he is what he is at this point. A local guy being used for a warm body at camp and I say that fully aware that I am the guy sitting in the stands that wouldn't even be able to keep up out there.
That's it. I am done. Sorry it took forever.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
He’s a European so he shouldn’t fall into the same age rules and would be eligible for AHL play. I believe.
I knew we drafted him out of Russia, specifically MHL, I just didn't know what the restrictions were because he joined his junior team last year.

Reactions: Blanick

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I was confused at first with you labeling each player by position ( i was expecting an A-F grade ). Great write up though.

Kyrou has my mouth watering, and i really wish Thomas would have been able to participate at some point.
Your analysis of Foley eerily reminds me of someone that played for us recently, Chris Stewart.

Last edited:

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I agree with the comments on Kostin’s Hockey IQ - I was seeing a lot of that in SA. He definitely is willing and somewhat capable of playing a good defensive game, but the question is definitely whether or not he is able to use his teammates, or if he just trying to put the team on his shoulders due to lack of support from his teammates.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Toropchenko sounds like the kind of 4th liner you need to succeed in today's NHL. I hope he is eligible for the AHL but sending him back to Guelph wouldn't be the worst.

Foley also sounds like a Backes/Simmonds type player. Hopefully he can translate to the NHL and be at least a 40 point guy who is a great net front presence.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Toropchenko sounds like the kind of 4th liner you need to succeed in today's NHL. I hope he is eligible for the AHL but sending him back to Guelph wouldn't be the worst.

Foley also sounds like a Backes/Simmonds type player. Hopefully he can translate to the NHL and be at least a 40 point guy who is a great net front presence.

He's not eligible this year, won't be until next season. He just turned 19 on Monday. I know he is falls under the European rules with his age, but from my understanding is since he elected to play for Guelph the same rule applies to him. But opposite applies to Kostin whom was selected by WHL team in the import draft but never reported to the team. At least that is my understanding of it.

Last edited:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I agree with the comments on Kostin’s Hockey IQ - I was seeing a lot of that in SA. He definitely is willing and somewhat capable of playing a good defensive game, but the question is definitely whether or not he is able to use his teammates, or if he just trying to put the team on his shoulders due to lack of support from his teammates.
In SA I noticed as well he didn’t play well with teammates. In the WJC when he was with Svechnikov he played more of a team game using him frequently. Perhaps it’s a linemates thing (in San Antonio he never had a good linemate to play with)

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
TEAM TKACHUK

36 - ROBERT THOMAS (F)
47 - SCOTT PERUNOVICH (D)
53 - AUSTIN POGANSKI (F)
56 - TY AMONTE (F)
58 - NIKOLAJ KRAG (F)
59 - MATHIAS LAFERRIERE (F)