2018 Sleeper Picks

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I was wondering which prospects people see as potential sleeper picks. No one that will be drafted in the first round, but those that might not be noticed with great upside. Prospects that had a good 2nd half, or playoffs, or some other reason to believe in their skills. Your favourite sleeper picks for the 2018 NHL draft?

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Jake Goldowski had 11G +10A in 40 games on a weak team. Big kid with good hands and played his best hockey when the team was slumping.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Used to be Bulat Shafigullin, but he is now well known in the community. The biggest sleeper to me now is Carl Wassenius, I have him late 2nd round, while he is rarely included in other lists.

Reactions: uncleben

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Chase Wouters, Igor Morozov, Xavier Bouchard and Kyle Topping.

Wouters+Morozov are similar in that they are extremely hard working 2-way C's who take great pride in the defensive zone but both have great offensive upside that people are sleeping on. Wouters is the heart and soul of Saskatoon and should be their next C who I'd take in the 2nd but will likely go late 3rd-early 5th and Morozov is starting to get some attention but likely goes early 3rd-mid 4th with russian factor. Bouchard didn't have a great year but I still believe in him and what I saw in him his rookie year. Has every physical tool you'd want in a d-man just lost his swagger for some reason. Think he bounces back in a big way. Then Topping is an extremely smart player but gets knocked for his skating and linemates which I don't buy. He was just as important to Lind's season as Lind was to his and his skating is more than passable currently which should improve.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Mikael Hakkarianen - overager, the Finn played in the USHL this season, and when he was healthy - put up big numbers. Maybe somebody takes a chance in the 6th or 7th round

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Chase Wouters, Igor Morozov, Xavier Bouchard and Kyle Topping.

Wouters+Morozov are similar in that they are extremely hard working 2-way C's who take great pride in the defensive zone but both have great offensive upside that people are sleeping on. Wouters is the heart and soul of Saskatoon and should be their next C who I'd take in the 2nd but will likely go late 3rd-early 5th and Morozov is starting to get some attention but likely goes early 3rd-mid 4th with russian factor. Bouchard didn't have a great year but I still believe in him and what I saw in him his rookie year. Has every physical tool you'd want in a d-man just lost his swagger for some reason. Think he bounces back in a big way. Then Topping is an extremely smart player but gets knocked for his skating and linemates which I don't buy. He was just as important to Lind's season as Lind was to his and his skating is more than passable currently which should improve.

Bouchard is definitely a good choice. First round type package of talent that could easily get back on track next season.

Reactions: schnapshot

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Zachary Bouthillier is every bit as good or better than Alexis Gravel and Kevin Mandolese. Take it for what it's worth.
I've watched Spencer Stastney a few games and he doesn't make mistakes.
Gabriel Fortier looks like he's ready to kick some in the Q next year

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Nathan Smith from Cedar Rapids Roughriders. He is a late '98 that grew up playing Florida High School hockey and AAA with Tampa Scorpions. Made the Cedar Rapids team as a Free Agent last year and led them in scoring at almost a point per game. He isnt showing up on many lists, but NHL teams have been talking to him.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Nathan Smith from Cedar Rapids Roughriders. He is a late '98 that grew up playing Florida High School hockey and AAA with Tampa Scorpions. Made the Cedar Rapids team as a Free Agent last year and led them in scoring at almost a point per game. He isnt showing up on many lists, but NHL teams have been talking to him.
I could see a few teams worrying about the other team grabbing him and Smith going fairly early. You might be bringing more in to the battle. This kid is the definition of a sleeper.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Riley Damiani from Kitchener.

Played well in a shut down roll against Sarnia and the SOO in the playoffs. Also has raw skill and good technical skating to complete the package. Should go mid to late rounds and who ever gets him can be confident he will get more ice time and a bigger role on the Rangers this coming year with both the 1 and 2 Cs likely graduating

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really like Tyler Weiss. I think his numbers are a little deceiving because the NTDP was so stacked this year. Needs to add weight but brings big speed and is creative in the offensive zone.

I agree with this. He played on lower lines later in the season, but he’s not a grinder. If he makes the NHL, it’s as a skill guy.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The biggest sleeper to me now is Carl Wassenius, I have him late 2nd round, while he is rarely included in other lists.

Agree. I had Wassenius when I discussed 5 sleepers on Feb. 1.

From that list, Kaut has moved up to the point where he can't be called a sleeper anymore.

Besides, Wassenius I still really like Nyman. He is going in the 4th or 5th in most mock drafts. In a re-draft in 2023 I expect he will be high second round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->