NCAA GDT: 2018 Season Week 2... Battle on the Farm

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Blah blah blah. Same old terrible comeback. Did you think of that all by yourself?

Case and point right here. To followers of the Cult of Paterno, somebody bringing up what went on there is akin childishly ribbing a Bills fan with "wide right" comments or telling Chris Webber to call timeout when you see him in line at the grocery store.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I know it was Charlotte, but the 45-9 pounding we put on them including a perfect game from Zac Thomas (14/14 295 yards 3 touchdowns, including 8 for 29 and a touchdown on the ground) as well as Penn State destroying Pittsburgh still resulted in a whopping 0 AP votes for us. Shows you just how trash these voters are. At least we got like 12 in the coach's poll.

I'll probably do this each week.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I know it was Charlotte, but the 45-9 pounding we put on them including a perfect game from Zac Thomas (14/14 295 yards 3 touchdowns, including 8 for 29 and a touchdown on the ground) as well as Penn State destroying Pittsburgh still resulted in a whopping 0 AP votes for us. Shows you just how trash these voters are. At least we got like 12 in the coach's poll.

FSU got a vote in the AP poll. That voter knows they beat Samford, not Stanford, right?

member 157595

FSU got a vote in the AP poll. That voter knows they beat Samford, not Stanford, right?

If any year is going to break our bowl game streak (2006 notwithstanding; my understanding is that we vacated the win but not the appearance) this is the year. I haven't been this pessimistic in a long time.

member 157595

Case and point right here. To followers of the Cult of Paterno, somebody bringing up what went on there is akin childishly ribbing a Bills fan with "wide right" comments or telling Chris Webber to call timeout when you see him in line at the grocery store.

OK I have nothing against Michigan but that is hilarious. :laugh:

Reactions: DaveG

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

I mean, they have to actually beat someone meaningful first. Maybe if they win out, they'll eventually get there but losing to Penn State, albeit in a close game, and beating Charlotte doesn't make you necessarily a top 25 team. Ball State isn't getting AP votes either

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I mean, they have to actually beat someone meaningful first. Maybe if they win out, they'll eventually get there but losing to Penn State, albeit in a close game, and beating Charlotte doesn't make you necessarily a top 25 team. Ball State isn't getting AP votes either

We missed a 56-yard FG at the end of regulation to win. We would undoubtedly have been ranked had that gone in. Because it didn't, you mean to tell me we're not a top 25 team because of that small difference? That's asinine and represents everything wrong with college football. Yeah, results matter, but it's not like this is the first time this has happened.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
We missed a 56-yard FG at the end of regulation to win. We would undoubtedly have been ranked had that gone in. Because it didn't, you mean to tell me we're not a top 25 team because of that small difference? That's asinine and represents everything wrong with college football. Yeah, results matter, but it's not like this is the first time this has happened.

The pollsters have always seemed to view things in a rather binary fashion. A ranked team can beat an FCS opponent by a field goal and usually maintain their ranking. Unfortunately quality of victory (or loss) is largely irrelevant to the AP. You'd almost expect that mentality moreso out of the coaches poll, but it is actually a lot more reactionary in my estimation.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think undoubtedly is a little strong there.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The pollsters have always seemed to view things in a rather binary fashion. A ranked team can beat an FCS opponent by a field goal and usually maintain their ranking. Unfortunately quality of victory (or loss) is largely irrelevant to the AP. You'd almost expect that mentality moreso out of the coaches poll, but it is actually a lot more reactionary in my estimation.

Which is pretty dumb. Either a team played well enough to be ranked highly or they didn't. If it comes down to a missed field goal like that it shouldn't be held against you so harshly. Penn State dropped 3 spots though so voters seemed to hold it against them rather than credit us.

Polls early in the season are dumb anyway though. It all builds on itself. Some quality wins are only quality because the voters got fooled early by a team that actually sucks.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Blah blah blah. Same old terrible comeback. Did you think of that all by yourself?
It’s literally all anyone has. Never mind the fact that the administration and football staff all in place has zero ties to that situation and has positioned the program back into blue blood status.

Joey Porter’s son Joey Porter Jr. committed to Penn State this morning. Gee, why didn’t he go to Pitt? He’s from Pittsburgh!! They share their practice facility with the Steelers!!!!1

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Which is pretty dumb. Either a team played well enough to be ranked highly or they didn't. If it comes down to a missed field goal like that it shouldn't be held against you so harshly. Penn State dropped 3 spots though so voters seemed to hold it against them rather than credit us.

Polls early in the season are dumb anyway though. It all builds on itself. Some quality wins are only quality because the voters got fooled early by a team that actually sucks.

This is my biggest gripe with the early season polls. But hey, at least Alabama can always look back and say "hey we beat (insert lousy 3-win SEC team) when they were a (massively overrated) top 25 team!" when their 0 signature win resume comes up for review in December.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
This is my biggest gripe with the early season polls. But hey, at least Alabama can always look back and say "hey we beat (insert lousy 3-win SEC team) when they were a (massively overrated) top 25 team!" when their 0 signature win resume comes up for review in December.

Exactly. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy and the SEC is the worst for it.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
one of the nice things about the CFP is that they dont begin their rankings until well into the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad