NCAA GDT: 2018 Season Week 1... Showdown in South Bend

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I don't really begrudge any SEC team from trying to somewhat shelter themselves w/their out of conference sked

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What is the point behind these early-season neutral site games besides revenue?

Georgia traveling to South Bend last year was an exception.

LSU would NEVER play Miami if they had to travel to the state of Florida.

They, like Bama, always stay in JerryWorld and do't have the guts to travel and play real OOC.

LSU's traveled to Morgantown to play what was a top 15 WVU team at the time in a home and home within the past decade. There are a lot of SECSECSEC teams that I criticize for their scheduling, but LSU typically isn't one of them.

I mean I do get it, Dallas isn't a true neutral site game like playing them in Charlotte or even Atlanta would have been. But even then it still would have been an LSU dominated crowd.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Alabama not that long ago had a home and home with Penn State. Although I do believe that was in place before Saban.

I do remember they wanted to play Michigan State in Atlanta but Sparty wanted a true home and home and basically told Saban to f*** off when he refused to bring his team to Lansing.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
LSU's traveled to Morgantown to play what was a top 15 WVU team at the time in a home and home within the past decade. There are a lot of SECSECSEC teams that I criticize for their scheduling, but LSU typically isn't one of them.

Georgia has gone to Notre Dame and Colorado in recent years, and I do believe they have a home and home with a Pac-12 team soon.

Tennessee has gone to Oregon this decade.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Georgia has gone to Notre Dame and Colorado in recent years, and I do believe they have a home and home with a Pac-12 team soon.

Tennessee has gone to Oregon this decade.
Yeah I give Georgia credit as well, they aren't a situation like UF where they haven't left the state for an OOC game for damn near 30 years.

Reactions: HisIceness

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I don't really begrudge any SEC team from trying to somewhat shelter themselves w/their out of conference sked

It's almost comical, though.

LSU always has these Dallas/Atlanta/Houston openers and they always look great.

The one time they didn't, played Wisconsin at Lambeau- lost.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The score didn't tell the tale, UCF looked far superior. That didn't care retoric is getting old, Auburn cared they just weren't as good so people use that excuse when power 5 teams lose to non P5 schools. Auburn star RB Kerryon Johnson even said they took the game seriously.

No they didn't look superior at all. They looked like a team playing their hearts out against guys who couldn't care less and even then they could barely win.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No they didn't look superior at all. They looked like a team playing their hearts out against guys who couldn't care less and even then they could barely win.

Well they still beat them unlike somehow Co National Champions Alabama.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not ready to paint The U as frauds but they lost 3 in a row to end last season after starting 10-0. And they had a lot of close wins with a lot of turnovers, which isn’t typically sustainable.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
These 'neutral site' SEC games are basically gimmes for the conference.

Like, why do teams accept these since they are home games for these teams and the SEC damn near never loses in these spots?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
These 'neutral site' SEC games are basically gimmes for the conference.

Like, why do teams accept these since they are home games for these teams and the SEC damn near never loses in these spots?

The schools get a lot of money and exposure as well as coaches getting into the fertile recruiting of the south. These games are also scheduled a few years out so you don't even know if your team or the other will be that good in that time.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The schools get a lot of money and exposure as well as coaches getting into the fertile recruiting of the south. These games are also scheduled a few years out so you don't even know if your team or the other will be that good in that time.

But at the expense of Miami/Washington losing credibility? No amount of money is worth that.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
But at the expense of Miami/Washington losing credibility? No amount of money is worth that.

You think Washington lost credibility?

I know it has only been a day but everything I have was good things about Washington and how this game showed they are legit.

Losing a close game in which they were arguably the better team and should have won in SEC country doesn’t change much and might even give them more credibility.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Which of those teams didn't look a class above the rest besides FSU who hasn't played yet? It is early but I wasn't impressed with Auburn, PSU, Notre Dame as potential teams that could make the playoffs. Maybe Mississippi State or West Virginia can make some noise but this is college where the same 5 teams are always there in the end so making a week 1 claim isn't far fetched.

Wait, you're putting Penn State, who narrowly avoided an embarrassing loss to App State at home, in the same category with Auburn and Notre Dame who beat ranked opponents? LOL.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wait, you're putting Penn State, who narrowly avoided an embarrassing loss to App State at home, in the same category with Auburn and Notre Dame who beat ranked opponents? LOL.

Just because those teams were ranked doesn't mean anything. Michigan is living off its name while Washington is feasting off a bad Pac 12. Michigan hasn't beaten a good team since Michigan State in 2016. Washington beats up crap Pac 12 and weak OOC opponents, their best win last year was over Utah they lost to anyone legit. Neither Notre Dame or Auburn looked all to impressive, they got the job done but neither seems like a title threat right now.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Penn State will be fine. Love all the overreactions to Week 1.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Just because those teams were ranked doesn't mean anything. Michigan is living off its name while Washington is feasting off a bad Pac 12. Michigan hasn't beaten a good team since Michigan State in 2016. Washington beats up crap Pac 12 and weak OOC opponents, their best win last year was over Utah they lost to anyone legit. Neither Notre Dame or Auburn looked all to impressive, they got the job done but neither seems like a title threat right now.

I'm not saying either ND or Auburn are title contenders either, not yet anyway. I don't know enough about Auburn but ND still has several difficult games ahead. But it was still an impressive win. Regardless of their QB issues Michigan still has one of the best defenses in the country. And Washington may not be top-10 worthy but they're still stout.

Both of those wins were definitely more impressive than Penn State. They allowed 28 points in the fourth quarter at home to a Sun Belt team. It's nowhere close to what Auburn or ND did and frankly the comparison is just stupid. PSU like usual scheduled weaklings for its non conference slate so we won't know for a while how good they really are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->