Patriots/NFL 2018 Season VI - 11-5 - Next up Chargers - January 13th 1 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
If the Jags did move to London, I wonder if they'd shift them to the AFC East and the Dolphins to the South. I can't imagine the Londonians would be thrilled about the Titans and Texans coming every year, but the Pats get ratings.

The trip to London from Boston is no worse than Boston to LA.

Londoners would probably be satisfied at least for a while regardless of divisional opponents (they’re ”just” 3 out of 8 games anyway). Moving Miami makes sense geographically, but the Dolphins still have one of the biggest fanbases in Britain (and Europe in general), so out of a ratings perspective, you’d probably need to juggle even more teams around for optimal results.

I sadly doubt it will catch on outside of a niche demographic, though. It will probably be akin to how hockey in Vegas was predicted to be (games will be sold out and there will be a decent local fanbase, but TV ratings will take longer to grow than the NFL probably has patience for). But hockey in Vegas benefitted from the most underrated factor, initial success. In the NFL, teams are so inconsistent, it’s hard to guarantee anything.

Many fans of the old NFL Europe speculate that a German team would be better. I’ve very little insight into the sports climate there, but I think competition might be less stiff. Britain, and England in particular, while not as successful in all their sports, still enjoy a wide variety. Outside of association football, I don’t know what floats in Germany... Some old Schumacher F1 fans? Vettel of course probably still brings attention there. Ditto Dirk Nowitzki? Hell, I think I recall hockey cited as a top 3 sport in Germany.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-1-8_0-42-55.png

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I will never understand how Goodell got the job he has today. He joined the NFL as an intern in 1982 and rose to the top and maybe it is simply a case that he knows too much about the NFL for the owners to fire him.

I suspect the next big move is Jacksonville moving to London.
Khan wanted to own the rams and keep them in ST Louis but Kroenke blocked it and bought the team himself and he never even spoke to the city afterwards to try to keep the team in his home state

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If the Jags did move to London, I wonder if they'd shift them to the AFC East and the Dolphins to the South. I can't imagine the Londonians would be thrilled about the Titans and Texans coming every year, but the Pats get ratings.

The NFL has a fixation with London and while flights from the East Coast are not unreasonable, flying to California is close to 11 hours.

A London team would need a US-based practice facility and perhaps have the players and families live in the US and just fly over to the UK for games. But there is no denying the NFL covets London.

I am still astonished the Red Sox gave up two home dates with NYY to play in London in June.

Reactions: EverettMike

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The NFL has a fixation with London and while flights from the East Coast are not unreasonable, flying to California is close to 11 hours.

A London team would need a US-based practice facility and perhaps have the players and families live in the US and just fly over to the UK for games. But there is no denying the NFL covets London.

I am still astonished the Red Sox gave up two home dates with NYY to play in London in June.
New Tottenham Stadium Could Become Raiders 2019 Home - Football Stadium Digest
the raiders would have a brutal AFC west schedule next year if they chose London

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Think of all the Red Sox apparel that can be sold in England.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Matt LaFleur, not Josh McDaniels, lands Packers reclaimation project
Titans (Lack of Offens)ive Coordinator.

One of the more boring teams to watch this year IMO.
1st down- Run the ball
2nd down- Run the ball
3rd down- Throw the ball

I'm not going to act like I know what I'm talking about though. We'll see how he does in Green Bay. Hope he turns it around. I like when the Packers are good even though I'm not a fan of their team. Big Rodgers guy.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
McD trying to make it sound like it's his choice, but I think the Indy fiasco last year caught up with him.

Josh McDaniels says he's staying with the Patriots | Boston.com

If the “Indy Fiasco” caught up with him, why would teams even bother interviewing him? He’s not African American, so he’s not fulfilling an NFL rule.

He’s got a lot better resume than guys like Kingsbury or LaFleur. I’m not sure how I feel about it, but I think he’s the next HC of the Patriots.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
If the “Indy Fiasco” caught up with him, why would teams even bother interviewing him? He’s not African American, so he’s not fulfilling an NFL rule.

He’s got a lot better resume than guys like Kingsbury or LaFleur. I’m not sure how I feel about it, but I think he’s the next HC of the Patriots.

Huh? You answered this yourself.

Only one team interviewed him, despite the superior resume. He was definitely hoping for more and would've gotten more.....namely Cleveland.....if not for last year's events IMO.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Huh? You answered this yourself.

Only one team interviewed him, despite the superior resume. He was definitely hoping for more and would've gotten more.....namely Cleveland.....if not for last year's events IMO.

Maybe you are right, I thought he HAD interviewed with CLE.

I think he’s waiting for Hoodie to retire or move up the food chain. Other teams might think so too?

Reactions: rfournier103

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Yeah, but imagine that trip from the west coast. Not that they'd go every year, but still.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I love talk radio this week. Everyone talks about the teams that won last week like real threats and they can do it and I think they can win......forgetting that the top 4 are top 4 for a reason and generally the lower seeds get trounced.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I love talk radio this week. Everyone talks about the teams that won last week like real threats and they can do it and I think they can win......forgetting that the top 4 are top 4 for a reason and generally the lower seeds get trounced.

That Peter Schrager guy called Nick Foles the most clutch QB of all time. I guess what pushed him over the top was the Bears failing a 2-pt conversion and missing a fairly easy field goal... and Foles being good for one drive all game.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad