2018 Season Discussion Thread Part II (Playoffs?)

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I generally make the playoffs in every league. But I've been only playing two the past few years and this time I got destroyed in one league via injuries and underperformers.

#5 Antonio Brown
Dalvin Cook
Devonta Freeman
Golden Tate
Tom Brady
Lesean McCoy
Delanie Walker
Will Fuller
Mark Ingram
Tevin Coleman
Julian Edelman
Sterling Shepard
Alex Smith/D/K

The other league goes until week 17 and I've yet to clinch. But I'm in 4th with the most points and 3rd most against. So I'm in good shape for that one. However I lost my TE Olsen AGAIN so I'm going to need some help. I'm going to try and add Jaylen Samuels from PIT but I'll need a backup option:

Evan Engram NYG
Jonnu Smith TEN
Chris Herndon NYJ
Dan Arnold NO

Only starting playoffs in one of three leagues this week. And that's my worst league, where I managed to finish 6th (last playoff spot) at 6-7.

In one of the other leagues, it's a 10-teamer and only 4 teams make the playoffs, so we start next week. There are 4 teams, mine among them, at 8-5 competing for three playoff spots this week. None are playing each other.

And then there's the league I joined this year. The playoffs are weeks 15-17 - I didn't know when I joined (my fault) but I didn't think anybody did that any more. Also, the commish, who is a friend and why I joined the league, changed the playoffs from top 6 with byes for the top 2 (I'm going to finish first) to top 8 with no byes because "it's more exciting."

I don't know if I'm gonna do that league again next year.

Ewwwwwwww

Reactions: OilerPensfan97

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
My opponent in the playoffs desperately needs a RB (Samuels in this case), I do not. I have more FAAB dollars than him. Is it fair for me to bid just more than he has to ensure I don't have to face that player when I play him, thus giving myself a better chance of winning?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My opponent in the playoffs desperately needs a RB (Samuels in this case), I do not. I have more FAAB dollars than him. Is it fair for me to bid just more than he has to ensure I don't have to face that player when I play him, thus giving myself a better chance of winning?

IMO yes.

I was wrestling with a slightly more complicated scenario earlier in the week. I couldn't add Samuels in a league where I wanted to keep him away from another owner, and I was considering asking a friend whose team is in last place to do it. I wasn't sure if that was on the up-and-up. Thoughts?

Ended up another owner claimed him, not the one I was trying to keep him away from, so it worked out.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
IMO yes.

I was wrestling with a slightly more complicated scenario earlier in the week. I couldn't add Samuels in a league where I wanted to keep him away from another owner, and I was considering asking a friend whose team is in last place to do it. I wasn't sure if that was on the up-and-up. Thoughts?

Ended up another owner claimed him, not the one I was trying to keep him away from, so it worked out.
I try not to get involved in texting buddies to make moves to help me, sort of borders on collusion. And I'm not sure how your league works, but to me, the second your team is eliminated from the playoffs, you should no longer be allowed to make any moves (unless there's a penalty for finishing last or something like that). But as for picking up a player yourself to block an opponent, I don't see how anyone could view that as dirty or unethical. It's just smart.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Absolutely you should block him from getting someone that helps his team.

IMO yes.

Asking someone else not in the mix would have been pretty lame and I agree it's probably collusion.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

Nothing wrong with that

IMO yes.

Not okay with this

Reactions: BGDDYKWL and m9

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yeah you shouldn't ever collude to win. Every Year I get into the playoffs and my RB gets hurt. It's laughable at this point. My RBs are Melvin Gordon and James Conner. I have solid depth (I handcuffed Ekeler and Samuels; and I have Lindsay and Peterson).

That said in my Yahoo league (that has limited moves) I was able to pick up Samuels. They have him listed as a TE and RB. So my RBs are Zeke, Gordon, and Mixon and my TE is Gronk (and Watson). So if Gordon ends up playing should I feel bad about using Samuels as a TE when he clearly isn't. Even if Gordon doesn't play my best option to replace him would either be using Gronk or DT (vs. Colts).

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah you shouldn't ever collude to win. Every Year I get into the playoffs and my RB gets hurt. It's laughable at this point. My RBs are Melvin Gordon and James Conner. I have solid depth (I handcuffed Ekeler and Samuels; and I have Lindsay and Peterson).

That said in my Yahoo league (that has limited moves) I was able to pick up Samuels. They have him listed as a TE and RB. So my RBs are Zeke, Gordon, and Mixon and my TE is Gronk (and Watson). So if Gordon ends up playing should I feel bad about using Samuels as a TE when he clearly isn't. Even if Gordon doesn't play my best option to replace him would either be using Gronk or DT (vs. Colts).

Nope.

I think it's dumb that they have him TE eligible, but you're just playing by the rules if you do that. It's like a few years ago when Joe Webb started at QB and was WR eligible too.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

I did this and got Samuels (surprisingly no one else even bid) and now I realized he's TE eligible on yahoo and I'm starting him there over Rudolph/Hooper.

Yahoo used to have Edelman as QB eligible at one time too.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Wow did i luck out last night. Squeeked into the playoffs in a 12 team league and put henry in the lineup before the game as m.gordon didnt practice yesterday and have a great shot at taking out a top seed in round one now lol

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
My fantasy season was looking wonderful until last weekend.

Melvin Gordon and Kareem Hunt as the 1-2 punch at RB.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Oh boy did I have a bad day in one of my leagues. To be fair I squeezed in at 6-7 and had no real business being in the playoffs but I did have a sick D.Henry 45 pt lead. Decided that with that lead it would be smarter to play Dak at home and expected 15-20 points from him vs playing Goff outside in the cold vs the Chicago D. With a few other under performances today I now only sit with a 40pt lead and my opponent still has Wilson, Diggs, Seattles K and the Rams D left to go LMAO.

I started with a strong sprint looking back smiling, tripped on a rock and now I am about to be passed lol.

Other leagues look good to go though for Ws

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
He must of heard my complaining, lets go to OT!

totally redeemed himself ha. from 2. something points to finishing with over 30. think I just squeezed out an upset of a top seed.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm going to win my 6 (me) vs 3 (him) first-round playoff matchup this weekend despite having Dion Lewis and Jalen Richard at RB. Thank heaven for George Kittle. Indeed, I got 70 percent of my points from 3 players.

Probably going to require a different formula next week but advancing is advancing, especially as the underdog.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Well looks like I'm going to go 1-1 in my leagues. Had very similar weeks in both leagues, right around 140 points in PPR, but one league ran into the Kittle/Hilton massive games with a side of his kicker and D combining for 35 points, tough to beat. Other league I have a 43 point lead going against Diggs tonight and I still have Seattle D.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
I split my games in quarterfinals. In one of them (regular-sized-12 team), I crushed the 8th seed by over 100 points. Kittle, Barkley, Julio, and Juju took care of business :nod:. Now I face the 6th seed in the semifinals, and it's not going to be as easy. He has the second highest point total in the league (only behind me), and has Hill, Gurley, Lindsay, and Chubb. How is this team 6-7?

And in my deep 12-team league, I lost the 4 v 5 matchup as the 4th seed. My mediocre RBs killed me in this one. Haven't had a true RB1 since before the start of the year when I traded Joe Mixon for Jerick McKinnon and Jonathon Williams (Yikes!). Managed to squeak out some wins but I saw this coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad