nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Welcome back to the NHL Sam Gagner!
I assume.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Roussel - Sutter - Virtanen
Goldobin - Gagner - Eriksson
Schaller- Granlund - Motte
Gross, someone let me know when ep is back so I can tune in again.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
So you’re just gonna ignore the fact that you posted utter trash about Edler and was proven wrong?
Edler's last few games last season were atrocious. I was worried he didn't heal well. I wouldn't invest in him unless I knew he had his game back. He looks fine, now.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I was excited to see Gaudette potentially called up and then somebody mentioned Gagner and now I can’t cope with my life

Should I look in the mirror or does everybody have the same reaction?

Reactions: JuniorNelson

member 290103

Be very surprised to see Gagner again after the way everything went down.

No one wants to see Gagner. Call up Gaudette. He has shown that he is close to being ready for the NHL - let's see how close. f*** Gagner and his disinterested game.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
How would you all rank the play of our D this year?

Edler hasn't looked great but he's always been hot and cold. Tanev hasn't really stood out either IMO but it's not like quiet Tanev is bad Tanev. I'm a big Hutton guy but I think he's played pretty well, relative to expectations at least. I also don't think Gudbranson has been as bad, even Pouliot has had some okay games.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hutton had, arguably, his best game as a Canuck last night. He has clearly decided that he needs to play with some intensity if he is going to stick. To me this is a mind/confidence shift born out of a genuine fear of being cast aside. He didn't freeze when he faced this challenge. He stepped up. Good on him. It doesn't mean he's the next coming of Drew Doughty but, playing the way he is, he can be a useful bottom 4 D-man.
Pouliot has also improved after challenged. But I think his lack of lateral mobility will always be limiting to him.
In any case, improvements by both of these players has made Del Zotto a little redundant (until injuries hit).

What clearly looked like a tire fire before the season has turned into an adequate D-core, at least for now. They still need a PP QB. Edler is filling the roll of the minute eating shutdown guy - he should not be relied upon for the PP. Not sure why Stecher isn't given more of an opportunity on the powerplay...

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I think both Edler and Tanev have had really good starts to the season

Edler and Tanev have been fantastic. Stetcher also has improved from last year. Everyone else has actually been decent too.

Yeah IDK, I have also just been preoccupied a lot while watching so I'm probably only noticing mistakes. Edler and Tanev are both players that are very quietly good when they're on so it's easy to just notice when they fail to get it out or turn the puck over etc.

Thought it may have been just me but wasn't sure, I trust you guys

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Hutton had, arguably, his best game as a Canuck last night. He has clearly decided that he needs to play with some intensity if he is going to stick. To me this is a mind/confidence shift born out of a genuine fear of being cast aside. He didn't freeze when he faced this challenge. He stepped up. Good on him. It doesn't mean he's the next coming of Drew Doughty but, playing the way he is, he can be a useful bottom 4 D-man.
Pouliot has also improved after challenged. But I think his lack of lateral mobility will always be limiting to him.
In any case, improvements by both of these players has made Del Zotto a little redundant (until injuries hit).

What clearly looked like a tire fire before the season has turned into an adequate D-core, at least for now. They still need a PP QB. Edler is filling the roll of the minute eating shutdown guy - he should not be relied upon for the PP. Not sure why Stecher isn't given more of an opportunity on the powerplay...

I disagree, I think this is born of actually being given a chance to go with it. Last year it was like he was terrified of making a mistake and as a result he played so passively. I liked him in his own zone, hated him defending the rush, but he was so so passive in more ways than one. Rarely stepped up to make a hit, if he misses and they score he sits. Rarely rushed the puck or got in deep in the offensive zone, if it bites him he's watching the game from the box. When a player goes from contributing offensively as a rookie / sophomore to putting up 5 points while sitting in favour of a guy like Pouliot, I think he will play to not make a mistake rather than playing to make an impact. The "gripping our sticks too tight" is one of those meaningless interview things players bring out, but confidence in sports is a legitimate factor in how someone plays.

He was given ice time in the preseason and lots of it, while I agree he has some fear of being cast aside I think he feels more confident that a mistake here and there won't immediately remove him from the lineup. He's rushed the puck, he's moved in deep in the offensive zone, occasionally looked for some hits. I think last game or the game before he had someone lined up but just missed but actually went for it for once. Last night you could see him crosscheck that player and send him to the ice on the disallowed goal.

He's playing to be noticed rather than playing to stay invisible and avoid mistakes. He may have that fear of being cast aside, and I think he does which is why he's put the work in to get in shape and he's being rewarded to an extent, but I also think he feels like the noose has been loosened slightly and he can show what he can do. That fear gave him the off ice work ethic, and being given a legitimate chance on the ice is giving him the confidence for the on ice play we're seeing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I disagree, I think this is born of actually being given a chance to go with it. Last year it was like he was terrified of making a mistake and as a result he played so passively. I liked him in his own zone, hated him defending the rush, but he was so so passive in more ways than one. Rarely stepped up to make a hit, if he misses and they score he sits. Rarely rushed the puck or got in deep in the offensive zone, if it bites him he's watching the game from the box. When a player goes from contributing offensively as a rookie / sophomore to putting up 5 points while sitting in favour of a guy like Pouliot, I think he will play to not make a mistake rather than playing to make an impact. The "gripping our sticks too tight" is one of those meaningless interview things players bring out, but confidence in sports is a legitimate factor in how someone plays.

He was given ice time in the preseason and lots of it, while I agree he has some fear of being cast aside I think he feels more confident that a mistake here and there won't immediately remove him from the lineup. He's rushed the puck, he's moved in deep in the offensive zone, occasionally looked for some hits. I think last game or the game before he had someone lined up but just missed but actually went for it for once. Last night you could see him crosscheck that player and send him to the ice on the disallowed goal.

He's playing to be noticed rather than playing to stay invisible and avoid mistakes. He may have that fear of being cast aside, and I think he does which is why he's put the work in to get in shape and he's being rewarded to an extent, but I also think he feels like the noose has been loosened slightly and he can show what he can do. That fear gave him the off ice work ethic, and being given a legitimate chance on the ice is giving him the confidence for the on ice play we're seeing.
good post.

it appears that Green has now taught yet another player what is acceptable to be an everyday NHL player. Virtanen Goldobin Baertschi and now Hutton have all grown as players since his arrival.

Break them down, challenge them to do what they didn't do before.
Make them feel pain that is only "mental" Put them under pressure to always give their best and compete to win.
Build them back up showing that the hard work, attention to detail pays off.
They are now a valuable piece of the team and the others are reliant on your best performance.

lets see how it goes, but he has looked like a different player so far this year. Now its finding the mental toughness to be consistent and hard to play against

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

This is exactly what I meant. He was challenged by the coach after last season. He could have frozen. Instead he put the work in over the summer. As a result he appears more confident that his body will respond to being pushed. It can be very subtle but having more core stability and strength goes a long way.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
This is exactly what I meant. He was challenged by the coach after last season. He could have frozen. Instead he put the work in over the summer. As a result he appears more confident that he body will respond to being pushed. It can be very subtle but having amore core stability and strength goes a long way.

Oh OK, yeah I agree then. I just though you were suggesting his on ice decision making rather than the off ice work was a result of the pressure

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is what I'd like to see as soon as possible:
Del Zotto Juolevi
Pouliot Hughes
Gudbranson Tryamkin
Eriksson Dahlen
Sutter Gaudette

The last one more for culture change. All the others are immediate upgrades.

Reactions: THE Green Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad