2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Won't be as nuts when they're declining with a big contract around the time we might actually want to compete.

Top UFAs are things you sign when you're in "win now" mode. We're not in win now mode and we're not close to it.
They're both relatively young. We are not signing Loui Eriksson here, they are bonafide top line players.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
They're both relatively young. We are not signing Loui Eriksson here, they are bonafide top line players.

I'm not disputing their value as hockey players, I'm arguing that it's a poor way to build a championship team. We will not be a competitive team for at least 3-4 years at which point any FA we sign will be 30-31 and continuing to decline throughout our cup window. We should be looking to sign a bona fide top liner in a few years so that we have them in their prime throughout that window.

Signing a first liner as a UFA is not a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think we should be targeting a UFA at the earliest in 2021 depending on how the team looks. Imagine if this team isn't competitive until 2024-2025 which is well within the realm of possibility. Do we really want one of our first liners to be 32 years old at the start of that window? Not only will he start to be starting to decline but we won't even have a potential trade chip for when we decide to tear it down and start another rebuild.

It's not that it wouldn't help the team now, it's that it's short sighted and wouldn't help this team win a cup. We would do much better to use that cap space to acquire picks both from cap dumps and signing short term UFAs to sell as rentals, and then sign a UFA in his prime when we're ready to compete.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I have no idea how to do this but a player I would target to add to the core would be Tyson Jost. Maybe something around Sutter? Would free up Landeskog to work strictly in the offensive zone.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I have no idea how to do this but a player I would target to add to the core would be Tyson Jost. Maybe something around Sutter? Would free up Landeskog to work strictly in the offensive zone.

Tyson Jost would likely cost a lot more than a guy like Sutter due to the pedigree of his D+1 and Draft position.

I feel he was rushed into the NHL, he should of stayed in UND for 2 years like Boeser did. It's not like Brad Berry was a bad coach and hurting his development. If anything Brad Berry is a coach who will be coaching in the NHL sooner rather than later.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’d like to target a skilled tough guy to play in our bottom six next season. There is going to come a time when EP will get run and we need somebody who will actually go after the cheap shots. We aren’t seeing it now cause it’s regular season but come playoff time and when Vancouver is back in the post season we will need to see some actual pushback
As far as I’m concerned I’m not over the Body slam and the lack of retribution and I am not expecting anything to happen the next time we play them

Bottom sixers don’t need to all be goons, but Roussel is an agitator, Erickson is ........ ( pukes in a bucket ) Beagle isn’t gonna deter or pay back anybody, Motte has yet to show me what he can be ( do like the player ) Schaller is useless, Granlund/Sutter I think we trade and Gaudette I doubt grows into a tough guy.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I’d like to target a skilled tough guy to play in our bottom six next season. There is going to come a time when EP will get run and we need somebody who will actually go after the cheap shots. We aren’t seeing it now cause it’s regular season but come playoff time and when Vancouver is back in the post season we will need to see some actual pushback
As far as I’m concerned I’m not over the Body slam and the lack of retribution and I am not expecting anything to happen the next time we play them

Bottom sixers don’t need to all be goons, but Roussel is an agitator, Erickson is ........ ( pukes in a bucket ) Beagle isn’t gonna deter or pay back anybody, Motte has yet to show me what he can be ( do like the player ) Schaller is useless, Granlund/Sutter I think we trade and Gaudette I doubt grows into a tough guy.
This mindset is exactly why we’re brutal year in and year out. We need skilled top six players. Not bottom six goons. Come on.

Reactions: racerjoe and timw33

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Would really like to see what kind of a RHD we could get for Juolevi and a 2nd in this year's upcoming draft. We basically need another RHD in the top-4 alongside Tanev and Hutton/Hughes could be our top-2 LHD for years to come. RHD is a bigger need, and Juolevi would be a decent trading chip to get one.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Would really like to see what kind of a RHD we could get for Juolevi and a 2nd in this year's upcoming draft. We basically need another RHD in the top-4 alongside Tanev and Hutton/Hughes could be our top-2 LHD for years to come. RHD is a bigger need, and Juolevi would be a decent trading chip to get one.
I’d keep Juolevi and try and swing a Gaudette/Adam Fox deal with Carolina who’s deep at defence

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
This mindset is exactly why we’re brutal year in and year out. We need skilled top six players. Not bottom six goons. Come on.

I’d add top six skill all day everyday but that’s so very hard to do via free agency. My memory of Marchand and Ferlund rocking our team is still a concern of mine. Don’t get me wrong I love the direction the league has gone removing the fighter and enforcer class of hockey player, but the cheap shot artists are almost worse than the face punchers. In a seven game series when the submarine hits are flying you will wish there was some toughness to fall back on

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
This mindset does not exist with management. Besides they are not mutually exclusive. You can have tough bottom six and a skilled top 6 at the same time. There are plenty of tough players who could replace, Ericksson, Schaller, Granlund, Motte, Gaunce and at this point Gaudette. Everyone agrees with skill but some size and grit would be appreciated up front. Especially if we ever make the playoffs.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
This mindset does not exist with management. Besides they are not mutually exclusive. You can have tough bottom six and a skilled top 6 at the same time. There are plenty of tough players who could replace, Ericksson, Schaller, Granlund, Motte, Gaunce and at this point Gaudette. Everyone agrees with skill but some size and grit would be appreciated up front. Especially if we ever make the playoffs.

Honestly if we could roll back the clock on Lucic that would be fantastic
Trade Schaller for Lucic retained at 50 percent, and a 2nd for taking his horrible contract off their hands THEN hit him with stem cells or something crazy and boom Benning is the best GM ever

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
To STL:

Juolevi
Gaudette
Goldobin
2nd 2019
2nd 2020

To VAN:

Paryako

Is it possible to land Paryako without moving one of Horvat/Boeser/Pettersson/Hughes/1st 2019/1st 2020? Probably not, but it would be awesome.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
To STL:

Juolevi
Gaudette
Goldobin
2nd 2019
2nd 2020

To VAN:

Paryako

Is it possible to land Paryako without moving one of Horvat/Boeser/Pettersson/Hughes/1st 2019/1st 2020? Probably not, but it would be awesome.

That's an awful trade. No high-end assets going to St Louis. Just about every team can beat our package. Quality over quantity.

Reactions: Mr Plow

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I wonder if Edmonton would be interested in a Puljujarvi trade.

Tanev for Puljujarvi + 2nd

Connor Mcdavid praised Tanev quite a bit from WC and I bet Pettersson would revitalize Puljujarvi on his wing.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I wonder if Edmonton would be interested in a Puljujarvi trade.

Tanev for Puljujarvi + 2nd

Connor Mcdavid praised Tanev quite a bit from WC and I bet Pettersson would revitalize Puljujarvi on his wing.

If Goldobin's value continues to increase until the end of the year and Puljujarvi's continues to decrease, I think a trade involving those two with picks to make up the difference in value would be great. Something like:

Goldobin + 2nd 2019/2020 for Puljujarvi

Both are RFA's at the end of the year.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
That's an awful trade. No high-end assets going to St Louis. Just about every team can beat our package. Quality over quantity.
What? :laugh:

They get a blue chip dman prospect, Gaudette who has been very good as well as Goldobin and picks. That's an overpayment dont underestimate our assets.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015

If you took out Gaudette and replaced the two 2nds with a 1st in either 2019 or 2020, would you do it?

Juolevi + Goldobin + 1st 2019/2020 for Paryako?

I think that's too much and I'd probably hang on to the 1st.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
What? :laugh:

They get a blue chip dman prospect, Gaudette who has been very good as well as Goldobin and picks. That's an overpayment dont underestimate our assets.
No, it isn't. It's a classic quantity-for-quality internet trade that no GM would bother proposing. If you can't see this, I don't know what to tell you that other posters haven't already told you many, many times over the years to no avail.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
No, it isn't. It's a classic quantity-for-quality internet trade that no GM would bother proposing. If you can't see this, I don't know what to tell you that other posters haven't already told you many, many times over the years to no avail.
Disagree. Parayko isnt a top pairing defenceman. The proposal is a great dman prospect with potential to be better than Parayko, a very solid center prospect with NHL experience in Gaudette, and Goldobin who has definitely played solid this year. Youre really overrating Parayko

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Disagree. Parayko isnt a top pairing defenceman. The proposal is a great dman prospect with potential to be better than Parayko, a very solid center prospect with NHL experience in Gaudette, and Goldobin who has definitely played solid this year. Youre really overrating Parayko
I hate to be this harsh, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->