Prospect Info: 2018 Rookie Tournament

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
The radio is behind so I paused the game till it caught up.

Got it perfectly in sync now.

I thought i tried pausing both but they just went back to live. Unless you mean you paused the TV ch

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
loved the effort in OT by Liljegren , great hustle to not get overtaken by the trailer and covering the pass , oh wait he didn't do either he coasted letting the trailer take the easy pass for the winner , this is they guy you folks are anointing ? FFS . Oh well we didn't deserve to win it anyway , I'm still trying to figure out what the ref called on those 2 PP's .

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Couldn't watch it but it sounded like Bracco had a decent game. Hoping he takes a big step with the Marlies next.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
loved the effort in OT by Liljegren , great hustle to not get overtaken by the trailer and covering the pass , oh wait he didn't do either he coasted letting the trailer take the easy pass for the winner , this is they guy you folks are anointing ? FFS . Oh well we didn't deserve to win it anyway , I'm still trying to figure out what the ref called on those 2 PP's .
I keep stuff like this around for the dimmest of dim lights....

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

Something that I feel isn't emphasized enough when judging prospects is the psychological factors. I mean, yeah, first off, you need the talent. But after that, traits like humility, dedication, drive, likability, emotional intelligence, flexibility, and willingness to learn are huge. I feel that Bracco, SDA, and Durzi are high on those and will, consequently, become future NHLers.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
It's a meaningless tournament in September after having a short summer and winning a championship in June. I wouldn't put too much stock in his mistakes, even though we all know he will be prone to bad pinches from time to time as a puck loving defensemen

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's a meaningless tournament in September after having a short summer and winning a championship in June. I wouldn't put too much stock in his mistakes, even though we all know he will be prone to bad pinches from time to time as a puck loving defensemen

No one is taking this seriously.

These are scrimmages involving other teams, not real hockey games.

To rephrase, anyone taking these scrimmages seriously is no one.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I keep stuff like this around for the dimmest of dim lights....

Every time I've turned the tables and stated that X player currently being slammed by the analymaniacs had a good Corsi game I'm told it was just a small sample size. But their pied piper of knowitall snark can do this on twitter for a game against 25% professional/75% amateur level competition.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I hope Liljegrens filling around in the defensive zone on the PK was him just loosening up for the season. Would be concerned to see him trying to pull that off in a game we’re actually trying to win.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I hope Liljegrens filling around in the defensive zone on the PK was him just loosening up for the season. Would be concerned to see him trying to pull that off in a game we’re actually trying to win.
He's an erratic talented player seeing what he can get away with. That will get coached out of him or he won't be a significant NHLer. And he's 19. He's got up to 2 more AHL seasons to sort this stuff out.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Those who think that Liljegren is a finished product at this stage of his hockey career is very wrong. He’s a very skilled player who has to still learn the intricacies of being an all-around NHL defenceman. It’s not as if he’s Gardiner who continues well into his pro career to make the mistakes that a rookie made yesterday.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He's an erratic talented player seeing what he can get away with. That will get coached out of him or he won't be a significant NHLer. And he's 19. He's got up to 2 more AHL seasons to sort this stuff out.

Sure he's not ready for the NHL for a number of reasons, that's expected. But I think you missed the point of my post.

If what you said is true, and not being able to execute a simple dump out during a PK is something that still needs coaching after a year of coaching in the AHL, then that is a concern. He's only 19 but I thought he'd be further along than not being able to make a dead simple routine play.

If he was just fooling around in a nothing game getting warmed up for the season, then we're all good. I think this must be the more likely scenario.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Sure he's not ready for the NHL for a number of reasons, that's expected. But I think you missed the point of my post.

If what you said is true, and not being able to execute a simple dump out during a PK is something that still needs coaching after a year of coaching in the AHL, then that is a concern. He's only 19 but I thought he'd be further along than not being able to make a dead simple routine play.

If he was just fooling around in a nothing game getting warmed up for the season, then we're all good. I think this must be the more likely scenario.
Liljegren was the highest scoring 18 year old D in AHL history, or 2nd highest, I can't remember. He was exceptionally impressive for an 18 year old, especially considering he was coming over from Europe to smaller NA ice. He does need work on his defensive game though, but he was awesome last year for the Marlies. He should be ready for a late season call-up like Dermott last season, and maybe ready for the Leafs next year. This would be the ideal happy path.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Liljegren was the highest scoring 18 year old D in AHL history, or 2nd highest, I can't remember. He was exceptionally impressive for an 18 year old, especially considering he was coming over from Europe to smaller NA ice. He does need work on his defensive game though, but he was awesome last year for the Marlies. He should be ready for a late season call-up like Dermott last season, and maybe ready for the Leafs next year. This would be the ideal happy path.

Not sure why you chose to quote me with that.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Just a reminder that Liljegren was a tire fire last year, worse than any one in this game.

Made massive strides and not too worried about him. Showboating got him into trouble a couple times but he was certainly one of the best players on the ice.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
highest. the biggest thing for me is him gaining confidence and learning when to take risks, and when not to. his skating looks even better, and he's so smooth and dynamic out there

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lilly was one of our best players in the game and what some people are calling show boating I am called it “ what a highly skilled player would do against less skilled players”

One of the hardest things to do is to look good against less skilled players as your reads will be off as you can not read well off of a less skilled player. It is why almost every year a player or two will have a good few games and get everyone thinking they are can’t miss players when in fact they are never will be players.

Lilly is more ready then most understand and I will be willing to bet at main camp he will look even better playing with similar skilled players. He is very young players his age are not allowed to play in the AHL here in North America as they are sent back to play against kids.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Mentioned it in the GDT but I was pretty impressed with Mac Hollowell. Didn't like the pick at all when it was made but I'm coming around to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad