Red Sox/MLB 2018 REGULAR SEASON - The Price Is Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, why use numbers that actually matter and are quantifiable when you can take amalgams of numbers, add in some subjectivity, and then draw your conclusions?

Let me ask you a question though. Billy Beane is universally accepted as one of the earlier adopters of sabermetrics, right? How many World Series titles has he amassed in his GM career? I'll wait for your answer...
Too funny. I had the same discussion yesterday.

Reactions: LSCII

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Lot of tiresome old garbage in here that I don't care about.

The "stat guys" already won. Literally. The Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Astros all won titles.

yeah, not like those teams had any traditional power hitters racking up RBI's...right?

Manny, Ortiz, Pujols, Berkman, Rizzo, Bryant

OBP doesn't mean squat without the power hitters to drive them in. What you like to conveniently forget is all those "moneyball" teams that won still had the old school power hitters in the 3/4 spots driving everyone else in.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lot of tiresome old garbage in here that I don't care about.

The "stat guys" already won. Literally. The Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Astros all won titles.

So those teams don't have scouts anymore? They all only employ statisticians who never actually see the guys they're rating play the sport??

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
yeah, not like those teams had any traditional power hitters racking up RBI's...right?

Manny, Ortiz, Pujols, Berkman, Rizzo, Bryant

OBP doesn't mean squat without the power hitters to drive them in. What you like to conveniently forget is all those "moneyball" teams that won still had the old school power hitters in the 3/4 spots driving everyone else in.

Right. And the Sox weren't looking to add a HR hitter to their lineup after a complete power outage last season. They were simply looking for a guy with a good Slugging % and JDM fit the bill....:laugh:

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
So those teams don't have scouts anymore? They all only employ statisticians who never actually see the guys they're rating play the sport??

One of the biggest misconceptions about stats driven front offices is that it replaces scouts. Only one of those groups feels like it doesn't need the other.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
One of the biggest misconceptions about stats driven front offices is that it replaces scouts. Only one of those groups feels like it doesn't need the other.

I'm a big believer in a hybrid approach. Crunch the numbers, know all the details, but then use those stats as a guide when you're scouting the players actually play the sport.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

scouts, stats, whatever, baseball kind of sucks at times now. Seems like walk, strikeout, fly out or homerun. Lots of man 0n 2nd no out, runner stranded. been watching more teams this year because mine is terrible once again, and it just lacks juice overall. Play-offs will still be amazing though.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
scouts, stats, whatever, baseball kind of sucks at times now. Seems like walk, strikeout, fly out or homerun. Lots of man 0n 2nd no out, runner stranded. been watching more teams this year because mine is terrible once again, and it just lacks juice overall. Play-offs will still be amazing though.

It ain't going to get any better once they dump DeGrom and Syndergaard too. Yikes. Has to suck being a Mets fan.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It ain't going to get any better once they dump DeGrom and Syndergaard too. Yikes. Has to suck being a Mets fan.

Supposedly keeping them now, since they have a 3 headed GM lol...only the Mets.

Been watching a lot of Sox since they are always on MLB and yes, I am watching some Yankees, you just can't help but marvel at that lineup.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
Supposedly keeping them now, since they have a 3 headed GM lol...only the Mets.

Been watching a lot of Sox since they are always on MLB and yes, I am watching some Yankees, you just can't help but marvel at that lineup.

It's going to look a lot less marvelous over the next 10 days without Torres and Sanchez. Boston plays Kansas City, Texas, and Toronto between now and the break, they have a chance to put a few games between themselves and the Yankees before the deadline.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The people who hate analytics the most understand it the least.

Which makes sense I guess.

they also tend to ignore that every MLB team now has a large analytics department, and the most successful teams were way ahead of the curve on that.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

This is something I actually agree with. I'd like to see more balls in play/less strikeouts.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
This is something I actually agree with. I'd like to see more balls in play/less strikeouts.

You can fix that in one league by implementing the DH, haha.

I tend to agree though. Statistically I understand the value of walks and strikeouts from a pitcher standpoint. But as a former player, I HATED games where it was 3-2 count, strikeout, 3-2 count, walk. Pick off throw, pick off throw. 3-2 count, strikeout.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
You can fix that in one league by implementing the DH, haha.

I tend to agree though. Statistically I understand the value of walks and strikeouts from a pitcher standpoint. But as a former player, I HATED games where it was 3-2 count, strikeout, 3-2 count, walk. Pick off throw, pick off throw. 3-2 count, strikeout.

I'm not a huge fan of the shift either. It's funny all my sports have changed and not for the better (sounding like my dad)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The people who hate analytics the most understand it the least.

Which makes sense I guess.

they also tend to ignore that every MLB team now has a large analytics department, and the most successful teams were way ahead of the curve on that.

other way around.

those that understand analytics the most realize it isnt the end all be all, and that analytics can lie.

and ftr, my career is a data analyst (data mining, analysis and reporting)

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
lol he's good on the road tho. I miss the neagle, pavano, brown, whitson, Jared wright days

They signed Pavano and Wright when Carlos Beltran wanted to hand them a discount. The thought of that offseason turns me into Frank Costanza every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad