2018 Pyeongchang Olympics | CURLING | Feb 8th - 25th

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Good 2nd game from Canada. 3 of the 0-1 teams won so standings got quite tight again. Worst case would have been four 2-0 and four 0-2 teams which was possible as all matches were 1-0 teams facing 0-1 teams.

Saw something in the OAR and NOR game that not sure I've seen before, 2 stones were touching basically on or just near the pin. Not enough room for a measure and eyeing it up the officials couldn't determine who was shot so it was called a tie and thus a blank end, which in mixed doubles you lose the hammer after. Was a big factor in what ended as a 1 point game with OAR winning.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Good 2nd game from Canada. 3 of the 0-1 teams won so standings got quite tight again. Worst case would have been four 2-0 and four 0-2 teams which was possible as all matches were 1-0 teams facing 0-1 teams.

Saw something in the OAR and NOR game that not sure I've seen before, 2 stones were touching basically on or just near the pin. Not enough room for a measure and eyeing it up the officials couldn't determine who was shot so it was called a tie and thus a blank end, which in mixed doubles you lose the hammer after. Was a big factor in what ended as a 1 point game with OAR winning.

OAR?
what country is that?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I like them not being Russia. For all intents and purposes they are Russia and most people will just call them that. But the country sponsored the doping, it wasn't just rogue individuals. Fine ok, but you as a country tried to cheat and got caught so no athletes will be representing you thins go around, you clean athletes are neutral athletes. I would have called them something without Russia in the name, but not sure it really matters, everyone will be calling them Russia anyway, and their success Russia will see as success for their country regardless of the fact that it doesn't officially count as Russia.

Reactions: saskriders

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I like them not being Russia. For all intents and purposes they are Russia and most people will just call them that. But the country sponsored the doping, it wasn't just rogue individuals. Fine ok, but you as a country tried to cheat and got caught so no athletes will be representing you thins go around, you clean athletes are neutral athletes. I would have called them something without Russia in the name, but not sure it really matters, everyone will be calling them Russia anyway, and their success Russia will see as success for their country regardless of the fact that it doesn't officially count as Russia.

Oh. right. that's true too. I'm fine with OAR then.

Canada doing v. well tonight.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Yeah, regarding the whole ban thing I think there is no solution. The only way to effectively punish the Russian government would be to completely ban the Russians (because as you mention everyone will see OAR as Russia's success). But at the same time it would be unfair to the clean athletes to ban them.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
If there is one thing you can count on every four years in the Winter Olympics, it's the US choking in curling.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If there is one thing you can count on every four years in the Winter Olympics, it's the US choking in curling.

Wouldn't really call that 3rd game a choke job. Up 1 without hammer in mixed doubles you're more likely to lose than win(52% v. 48% according to our commentators), especially when the opposition is playing their power play, yeah they gave up 6(the maximum) but the extra 4 points didn't matter, strategically once they got off to a bad start in the end and the Swiss had 3 rocks in their behind the guards they had to go all out to get one in there, removing the opposition stones was very very unlikely to keep them to 1(would have needed a triple and a double to be made, or 3 doubles) so giving up 2 would have been just as bad result wise, they lose either way. Indeed they did miss their last shot which gave the Swiss and easy shot for the win(and 6), but I think even if they did make that freeze perfectly(a 1 in 10 shot at best) quarter rock peel would have squeezed it far enough out sideways for the Swiss to win anyway.

I think the mistake was made in the 7th end actually. Given the situation with the Swiss still having their PP, and the USA having an extremely difficult shot for 2 that they were unlikely to make, they probably would have been well advised to give up 1 on purpose(which sounds strange). That way they could have they 52% advantage of down 1 with hammer, and not have to face the power play. I only got a quick glance at the setup before the final rock but I think they had an angle raise possible for 4. Very difficult shot, but they could have missed it and gave up 1 which would have been preferable to taking 1(again which sounds strange). Had they made the shot they tried for 2 that would have been ideal, but that's a 1 in 20 shot at best.

The game against Korea meanwhile, yeah that was just a total clown pounding. Not sure how that happened, they mentioned on our broadcast of the Canada game that maybe the crowd were getting to the Hamiltons?

Interesting standings developing. four 3-1 teams with just one 2-2 team(Korea) who I don't think will qualify. The top 4 now may be the final 4. Surprised USA and China are struggling

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The Koreans actually did quite well in the last WC I noticed after looking it up. They might be a spoiler and sneak into the playoffs here if they can take their next game against OAR. The home support was really noticeable last night with loud cheers as they destroyed the Americans.

I'm finding this mixed doubles to be much more entertaining for people like me who don't really like curling that much. The time limits are a great addition and honestly I like that the games are a bit "sloppy" as it makes for very interesting ends with lots of rocks everywhere.

Also, it was pretty hilarious to watch an olympic athelete throw a draw right through the back of the rings like I do whenever I've tried curling haha.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Koreans actually did quite well in the last WC I noticed after looking it up. They might be a spoiler and sneak into the playoffs here if they can take their next game against OAR. The home support was really noticeable last night with loud cheers as they destroyed the Americans.

I'm finding this mixed doubles to be much more entertaining for people like me who don't really like curling that much. The time limits are a great addition and honestly I like that the games are a bit "sloppy" as it makes for very interesting ends with lots of rocks everywhere.

Also, it was pretty hilarious to watch an olympic athelete throw a draw right through the back of the rings like I do whenever I've tried curling haha.

There are time limits in regular curling as well, and in fact they get more time per shot in mixed doubles than in regular curling. But given the fewer players it tends to come into play more than regular curling as strategy and movement to the other end takes more time. I do agree that it would be more enjoyable for the average fan who doesn't watch much curling, more interesting, and quirky. Also quite fast paced. That's what I first thought when I saw it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
oh she threw it light. boo
Morris needs to get one of those rocks out, and into the button

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
oho she just papered it. booo had that bypassed the red, and curled.. but ah well.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Stuck watching the opening ceremonies here in the States. Not showing any live events right now. Could stream it I suppose

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Koreans nearly got that one. The Russian woman was very mediocre but damn she nailed that triple take out in the 9th for the win.

It's going to be hard for anyone to crack the top 4 of Canada-Swiss-Russia-Norway now by the looks of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->